Missed Bites

Silver fan 82

Went to one of my club lakes for a session today. I decided to fish the waggler and maggot for silvers. I caught loads of small roach, perch and a few skimmers up to about a pound and a quarter.
Overall a good session. However I misses more bites than I put fish on the bank.
I started fishing the session with a size 16 and double maggot, tried different colour combinations, went down to a size 18 and single maggot but was still missing bites.
So I tried shallowing up and altering shotting patterns, both a strung out approach and a bulk of shot about a third away from the hook. Tried sharpening the hook.
The better fish came fishing about 11 feet deep in about 13 feet of water.
The thing that puzzled me though was that a lot of the time the maggots were coming back completely undamaged and in tact.
So what do you reckon guys? Line bites possibly?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
My guess at that depth would be a mix of line bites, more likely to happen with that much line under the water than say 5-6ft, and fishing taking on the drop again with that much line under it can take a while for the bite to show. That said I've had days where I've missed loads of bites then fished identically in the same place another time and hardly missed anything so it could be down to a whole range of factors possibly beyond control. Sometimes the fish might not be feeding as confidently or your reactions might be out, all just part of the variations of fishing.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Deffo line bites... when fishing deeper waters I tend to feed with a dropper or small hard balls of laced groundbait to keep the fish on the deck rather than loose feed... the other thing you could do is shot your float to fish on the drop so shallow bites are spotted earlier if you loosefeed

JLK

A few things to try are feed more maggots less often to keep the fish down. Feeding less maggots but more often can bring them up in the water which can cause the problems you had.
Fish positively. Rather than strung out shotting. Set the rig up slider style. Especially at the depth your fishing at. You can fish a bulk and a couple of droppers more effectively then which gets the hookbait down faster.
Bombing the bait down quick can be much better for catching roach as they don't get the time to inspect the bait and bites can be much more positive.

Hook the maggots side on rather than conventionally, or fish a banded maggot.
And try and keep your line as tight to your float as possible to help hit bites quicker.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I've never fished a Stillwater that deep so could be completely different but my standard Stillwater rig is just the locking shot then a number 8 above the hooklength then occasionally another 8 about a foot further up. I generally only do fancy shotting on rivers where you have to get it right for the flow and/or bomb through bleak!

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
Skimmers are notorious for giving the shyest of bites and can be tricky to catch on the pole never mind rod and line, Interesting you changed to a smaller hook I might have tried a bigger hook to see if you connect with more bites

The Ginger Bread Man

Went to one of my club lakes for a session today. I decided to fish the waggler and maggot for silvers. I caught loads of small roach, perch and a few skimmers up to about a pound and a quarter.
Overall a good session. However I misses more bites than I put fish on the bank.
I started fishing the session with a size 16 and double maggot, tried different colour combinations, went down to a size 18 and single maggot but was still missing bites.
So I tried shallowing up and altering shotting patterns, both a strung out approach and a bulk of shot about a third away from the hook. Tried sharpening the hook.
The better fish came fishing about 11 feet deep in about 13 feet of water.
The thing that puzzled me though was that a lot of the time the maggots were coming back completely undamaged and in tact.
So what do you reckon guys? Line bites possibly?
Too much weight on your float ??

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Blimey that is light feeding so you definitely weren’t over feeding. In a 6-8 hour Stillwater session I usually feed the best part of a pint of maggots and the same of hemp, bit less this time of year tbf but still don’t think you were doing anything wrong so just one of those days I guess.