Mishaps, Gaffes And Disasters in 2020

robinta

As we enter our 3rd lockdown (I've lost count now), what was your biggest fishing related cock up or disaster in 2020, that may just let others have a smile at your expense?

Mine had a clear winner.

Back in September I was fishing at the Angel Of The North near Gateshead and had just landed a feisty common on the pole from the margins, on 4 maggots.

As I unhooked the fish and took a phone shot, I wasn't aware that the still baited hook had just touched the surface of the lake, until I saw the top kit take off at high speed.

It bobbed about around before leaving pole range.. (If I'd been a bit more switched on, I could have said up a bomb rod and tried to hook it, but it didn't cross my mind) .

Ultimately I fished on, and when I finished I could still see the pole in open water, but how to get it? I certainly didn't fancy a swim.

At the side of the pond in some rushes was a small plastic rowing boat/dinghy and I decided to go in after it.

I dragged the boat to an empty platform and climbed aboard. It was slightly disconcerting to find when you stood on the bottom of the vessel, water would come in over my feet (I had assumed the main point of a boat is to only have water on the outside!)

Now, it's probably been 30-40 years since I tried rowing anything, but it can't be hard?

The boat at least had 2 oars fixed in place but trying to manoeuvre it in a straight line seemed out of my skill set.

It seemed more like one of those circular coracles than a rowing boat, and wanted to spin in a circle rather than go straight, like a 3 legged dog wiping it's ar*e on grass.

I went completely the opposite way to the pole kit, straight through the swim of a pair of old guys fishing, and looking on at my performance with incredulity.

I apologised profusely, but they never said a word.

Eventually I started to get some sort of hang of things and managed to get to the pole sections and retrieve them (without fish).

I slowly edged back to the platform, hoping someone wasn't filming me in case I ended up on you've been framed, or banned from the fishery.

Back at the platform, I now had to work out how to get out of the boat.

Standing up just seemed to increase the colander effect of the bottom of the boat and get my feet even wetter.

So I decided to park the boat (Moor?) parallel to the platform and to ensure I didn't fall in after all this effort, ROLLED out of the marine deathtrap on my side...any semblance of dignity long gone, but with my maver powerlite safe 🙂

So, anyone else make a right 'nana of themselves in 2020

Robin

ATTICUS FINCH

Nothing on your scale but a major blow was losing an absolutely huge perch (4lbplus easy) in the last ten minutes of the Kent champs on the rother. I could see the fish in the weeds and I couldn't reach it to net it .(I could now as I've bought a four MTR landing net handle .)
That fish would of put me in with a chance of winning the match but alas not to be .it really was a massive fish .

CarpCatcher86

Mine happened last year, Slipping down a small banking at the back of my peg and landing on my landing net handle. Lucky it was only a cheapie instead of the Acolyte carp I replaced it with.
On a side note, the funniest thing I saw last year was a lad lure fishing, without removing the hook protectors :ROFLMAO: I mean the big red plastic ones that cover all three trebles. I have also seen people using lures and spinners without removing the plastic tubing that is sometimes used to cover the hooks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerkalo

The year I finally learned how to hold fish for a photo, ruined a lot of prize capture photographs by holding them wrong, and the year after I made one of my biggest blunders by putting too many Bream (100lb+) in one keepnet, won't be doing that again.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Mine happened last year, Slipping down a small banking at the back of my peg and landing on my landing net handle. Lucky it was only a cheapie instead of the Acolyte carp I replaced it with.
On a side note, the funniest thing I saw last year was a lad lure fishing, without removing the hook protectors :ROFLMAO: I mean the big red plastic ones that cover all three trebles. I have also seen people using lures and spinners without removing the plastic tubing that is sometimes used to cover the hooks.
I went for a walk along the canal over the Christmas break, and saw a couple of guys fishing a small marina that is clearly marked as 'private no fishing' with 4 signs, they were casting a lure and then letting it sink before putting the rod on a rod rest and leaving it there with the lure obviously sat on the bottom ...!! I thought about challenging them re the no fishing but then I thought well are they really fishing

Zerkalo

I thought of another one from this year, start of the season, 2nd session at Knowle Sands, had waited all day for a Barbel bite, dad had already gone home. One came later in the day and I lifted into a good size fish. "Yes!" I exclaimed and stood up only for that to quickly change to "No!" as I slipped over in the mud breaking an 8lb hooklength against the weight of the fish as I fell.

Foul hooked

Fishing pole and got snagged. as trying to free my hook, put a bit too much sideways pressure on and snapped my top section. On the bright side, it was a cheap horrible pole and as i now have only the shorter heavy elasticated top section left i can justify a nice shiny new one. Every cloud as they say.
In terms of sheer embarrassment though, recently on atrip to the river, having just got myself set up nicely, i decided to move my rod bag away from the towpath so got up from my seat, promptly slipped in the mud and landed on my backside, kicking both my bait tins over in the process. Spent the next few minutes trying to retrieve a pint of maggots and half of casters from the mud and grass. I was cold, wet and looked like some sort of mud monster so, with freezing fingers gave it up as a bad job, went home via tackle shop to replenish my bait supplies for the next trip.