Mirroring a PC Over the Internet

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Before Lockdown I was due to show my son how to do his tax return this year. I complete a self assessment return for him each year, required because he gets income from a rented property. I do it because with him being in the army and not always in the country it made it difficult for him to keep track of everything, plus I am much more comfortable with financial stuff. Now he has left the army and is settled in his new house he wants to be able to take over.

The plan was for him to sit with me while I filled in the on line tax return. That may not be possible because of restrictions so I was wondering if it is possible for him to see what I am doing via his PC screen while I can talk him through it either on the phone or voice link over the internet alongside the mirroring. I understand about casting to a nearby device but he lives 50 miles away and Bluetooth won't stretch that far :).

Stanley

Zoom will do this as you can screen share over the internet. He can watch you screen or he can share his screen while you talk him through it. Limit was 40mins but have a feeling it’s now not limited for just 2 people in one call. If it does pop-up you just start another 40min call. Both need a free zoom account setup.

feldri

Site Supporter
Used to be able to share screens on Skype but don't know if you still can. Lady friend had a blown fuse in a cottage she rented in Cornwall and using her laptop and mine I showed her how to find the blown fuse and replace the fuse wire, used her cam to see the fuse box and talked her through the process.
Didn't have trip switches and she didn't have a clue about fuse wire.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
You can share a screen on skype, teams or zoom. You just need to decide who is driving and who is watching. With some software you can actually take control, but I don't recommend that.

When it comes to tax returns it's worth setting up a little spreadsheet in advance to collect your data - it doesn't need to do any calcs but it's a handy reminder to help you know when you've got all the info and compare it to the year before and note the section that the number get entered into. Most people will only have a handful of things to collect - salary, interest etc. and it makes it harder to miss anything out (like private healthcare, as I did one year)

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
Teamviewer for me, amazingly easy to use and you can even record the session for future reference (not sure if you can record on free version to be fair)

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
You can share a screen on skype, teams or zoom. You just need to decide who is driving and who is watching. With some software you can actually take control, but I don't recommend that.

When it comes to tax returns it's worth setting up a little spreadsheet in advance to collect your data - it doesn't need to do any calcs but it's a handy reminder to help you know when you've got all the info and compare it to the year before and note the section that the number get entered into. Most people will only have a handful of things to collect - salary, interest etc. and it makes it harder to miss anything out (like private healthcare, as I did one year)
Thanks, I have been recording everything on spread sheets for each year since he started renting the property in 2015 and using that to predict the tax bill. I am normally within a few pennies of the final tax due.

B'stard HMRC stopped taking the tax via his code without telling us resulting in unpaid tax and interest on a couple of hundred pounds. Letter of complaint still not answered after three months. Then to add insult to injury they charged a further 11p in interest after I settled the amount outstanding.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies. I am looking at Zoom at the moment though I find it somewhat baffling. That's possibly down to me becoming an OAP officially in a few weeks when I start getting the state pension.

Son and I will have a couple of trial runs before we actually do the tax return.

Chervil

Site Supporter
We use Microsoft teams at work for remote lessons, you can screen share on it, with no trouble.