Mini boilies for speci silvers ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
On the relatively new to me club pond, Ive been chatting to a few of the carp types, you know those bank tramps that sit there ages awaiting the one bite

and a couple of em have told me that they have had some big roach and rudd up to near the magic mark on traps baited with boilies (they didnt state what type of boilie though)

which has me a thinking, tomorrow im gonna chuck a feeder or two out on the rods,

two different types of set up, one with a standard cage feeder loaded with a suitable groundbait or bread mash and with a bit of flake on the hook, and another with a heli styled cage feeder rig with groundbait and bait this up with a mini boilie on a hair rigged quickstop

Im just sitting here drilling the 6 and 8mm boilies at the moment, got quite a selection of flavours in both sizes ranging from plain white shellfish, red strawberry, dark red spiced, some yellow unknown flavour and some orange unknown flavour and black hemp, I will drill some strandard 6mm and 8mm skrettings too

now, Ive never used mini boilies for speci roach fishing, and am wondering about what flavour and colour would be best, anyone care to inform me a tad more ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Never done it but around here on places like linear and linch hill 6mm white boilies seem to do the business. Not sure what flavour they tend to be though.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I think there will be many different answers to this. Round this way, yellow seems to be the 'in' colour with 6mm or 8mm tigernut flavoured mini boilie just about level pegging, had some good Bream and Ide on both.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
On the relatively new to me club pond, Ive been chatting to a few of the carp types, you know those bank tramps that sit there ages awaiting the one bite

and a couple of em have told me that they have had some big roach and rudd up to near the magic mark on traps baited with boilies (they didnt state what type of boilie though)

which has me a thinking, tomorrow im gonna chuck a feeder or two out on the rods,

two different types of set up, one with a standard cage feeder loaded with a suitable groundbait or bread mash and with a bit of flake on the hook, and another with a heli styled cage feeder rig with groundbait and bait this up with a mini boilie on a hair rigged quickstop

Im just sitting here drilling the 6 and 8mm boilies at the moment, got quite a selection of flavours in both sizes ranging from plain white shellfish, red strawberry, dark red spiced, some yellow unknown flavour and some orange unknown flavour and black hemp, I will drill some strandard 6mm and 8mm skrettings too

now, Ive never used mini boilies for speci roach fishing, and am wondering about what flavour and colour would be best, anyone care to inform me a tad more ?
A guy on the swim next to me last year at Mote Park offered me one of his 8mm pop ups (white) which he was using to tempt big bream on a hair rig set up, with his Dutch Master feeder rod. He was netting big roach with it as well (around 12oz-1lb). He used one of Guru's bayonet rigs. I tried it and found them great though I'm not sure about the flavours just yet, as I'm experimenting. I'm giving chocolate orange a lash next time I'm out but I'm using 12mm (16 sems to be to big for Mote Park) - but not likely for the carp

smiffy

Site Supporter
I’ve yet to snare a Roach or Rudd on the boilies I use. So I can only tell you to avoid White chocolate. Bream love them though.

MrTencherson

Site Supporter
I was getting some huge roach at the weekend on 8mm halibut pellets when i was doing the ol' pellet waggler for carp. A couple of the roach were over a pound i reckon and they put up a decent fight too tbf :)

Silver fan 82

Only the other week I was after some Tench, didn't catch any but did catch a couple of roach that must have been pushing a pound and a half. I was using 12mm Nash strawberry boilies. I had trimmed the edges of the baits off so were probably 8 - 10mm in reality.
Was fishing a simple running bomb set up, light bomb, probably 8th of an oz bomb on the quivertip. I had hair rigged the boilies using a bait spike on a size 10 hook. I was feeding the same strawberry boilies just crushed between my fingers over the top. One of the roach I caught had oviously been munching away judging by the colour of what came out of its vent when in the net!
I can honestly say that roach were the last species I was expecting, although the particular water is fairly popular for the carp in there. So mabe they are accustomed to eating boilies?
Anyway hope this helps @mickthechippy .

squimp

Site Supporter
Big roach get caught on allsorts of flavours. Obvious ones include geranium oil, the aforementioned pineapple and other sweet flavours. Conversely they are also partial to quite large Fishy pellets.

there is a history of very big Rudd on sweet boilies, like esterberry.

for bream I Would go fishy and smelly, but they do get caught on the sweet esterberry type baits as well. I use to catch lots of very big bream on ‘wasp grub and nectar‘ flavouring On maggots. An old Hutchinson flavour that was very sweet.

Silver fan 82

Big roach get caught on allsorts of flavours. Obvious ones include geranium oil, the aforementioned pineapple and other sweet flavours. Conversely they are also partial to quite large Fishy pellets.

there is a history of very big Rudd on sweet boilies, like esterberry.

for bream I Would go fishy and smelly, but they do get caught on the sweet esterberry type baits as well. I use to catch lots of very big bream on ‘wasp grub and nectar‘ flavouring On maggots. An old Hutchinson flavour that was very sweet.
Where can you get hold of geranium oil @squimp? Any ideas?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Any of the small wafters would be fine probably sweet fruity flavours might be slightly better than fishy ones.