Minced Meat Feeder for Chub. Rivers

Truly

Site Supporter
I have been trying for Chub on the Nene, hoping for a nice specimen. I have read about using minced meat in a swim-feeder with a piece of steak on the hook.
The Nene has a steady flow, unless in flood, so I can get away with a small feeder.

I still do a bit of deer stalking, so have some minced venison and venison steak in my freezer. I am thinking of giving it a go.

Question is, do I use a cage type feeder and simply stuff it with minced meat with a piece of steak hair-rigged on the hook?

Looks like we may get some heavy rain tomorrow afternoon, that may put some colour in the river at last.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Used a small piece of steak on the hook & a bit of mince in the feeder for chub after the first frosts on the Trent a few times, myself, many moons ago as a change bait. Have to say I caught bugger all on it. Others use it often though & catch. Always worth a try I suppose, if you’re catching nowt on conventional baits you’ve nowt to lose.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Had some very good catches on mince years ago - but the cheaper version contains a load of fat and is not recommended. Throwing in gold ball size of mince with a sliver of steak on the hook. Especially good in slacks following a falling river after a good rain when the chub are ready to venture out into the main flow.

Truly

Site Supporter
Used a small piece of steak on the hook & a bit of mince in the feeder for chub after the first frosts on the Trent a few times, myself, many moons ago as a change bait. Have to say I caught bugger all on it. Others use it often though & catch. Always worth a try I suppose, if you’re catching nowt on conventional baits you’ve nowt to lose.
My thoughts entirely Mate(y). I have been catching a lot of those 'bugger alls' too:rolleyes:

smiffy

Site Supporter
Difficult to beat a worm on a coloured river. You‘ll find most species will take it.
As for Chub? Mince, luncheon meat, Steak, any meat will work.
I like the mobile approach, feeding several swims with hemp. You can fish any hookbait you like over a bed of hemp and Chub love hemp👍

IanG1

Site Supporter
This method won loads of winter club and open matches on the Trent back in the 80s and 90s. Different river back then with big numbers of chub and always colour in the river. Used to mix the mince with some brown crumb to help break it up when in the water, Sliver of stewing steak on a Drennan Carbon Chub hook, nice and bloody. We also fished it under a bodied waggler feeding small balls of the mince/crumb mix in more steady swims and that could be deadly. Won an old club match in the late 80s with Raleigh AC on their old stretch at Thrumpton above the old Coventry AC stretch which was solid with chub back then with over 30lb of chub using a bodied waggler on a sunny crisp day. Happy Days
The late great Jan Porter was a man who used this method to success back in the day.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
The blood in the mince is part of the attraction.
How bloody is Venison?

Too poor to know.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
iirc, the steak and mince approach was most succesful on a low, stale river - although I've seen it work on the Great Ouse on a freezing cold river with colour in.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Flippin 'eck, you lot were rich
I still lived at home back in the late 80s and remember coming home with half pound of mince and some stewing steak. My old boy asked what I was cooking for tea? Said I needed my bumps feeling when I said it was for fishing. He wasn't impressed either when I spent around £700 on Daiwa HHP 11m pole plus extension and 3 top kits form Gerrys of Nottingham in my quest to be a fishing god LOL

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I have been trying for Chub on the Nene, hoping for a nice specimen. I have read about using minced meat in a swim-feeder with a piece of steak on the hook.
The Nene has a steady flow, unless in flood, so I can get away with a small feeder.

I still do a bit of deer stalking, so have some minced venison and venison steak in my freezer. I am thinking of giving it a go.

Question is, do I use a cage type feeder and simply stuff it with minced meat with a piece of steak hair-rigged on the hook?

Looks like we may get some heavy rain tomorrow afternoon, that may put some colour in the river at last.
Plug one end of a cage feeder with mole hill soil or fishmeal groundbait, put in mince, plug other end.
Mole hill soil is better option as it’s free with a bit of graft.

ravey

I never caught loads with it, but after the start of the 1990s, it could get you chub in winter when it became a virtual impossibility to catch. It is worth trying cheese paste and/or bread as a change bait, in my experience, which is limited to the Trent.