Mill Dam

Dusty

Got a match coming up at Mill Dam on the match lake, I’ve never fished it before and was wondering if anyone had any info.
Depths, stamp of fish and favourable methods would be great.

Cheers

Dusty

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Got a match coming up at Mill Dam on the match lake, I’ve never fished it before and was wondering if anyone had any info.
Depths, stamp of fish and favourable methods would be great.

Cheers

Dusty
Hi Dusty,

Is that Alans place in Lincoln ? On the road between Dunham and Collingham.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
asked a mate who knows a fair bit and organises matches there, he said margins and short in front with pellets or paste and shallow with pellets, pretty standard stuff

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi Dusty,

It varies a little in depth from peg to peg but, only slightly. In the matches that I have fished on there it has generally been won from the right hand corner peg. There is a tree and it over hangs the water slightly. You need some gear on but, you are guaranteed a big weight from there. What you dont want is being drawn either halfway up the right or left hand side. If you find yourself here your methods are limited and although you will catch Im afraid to say youll be lucky to keep with the other boys. You will get the odd one from the margins here but, your mainline of attack has to be the mudline which is around 12.5m across. Into the corners is where you want to be but, you also need a breeze. Flat calm and it aint as good. Theres roach, crucians, bream, tench in this lake but your match will definitely be won with carp. Nice looking carp and pound for pound they pull better than most places Ive been. Dont be afraid to go 0.17+ with 10's and 12 hooks. These animals arent hook shy. Alan will insist on you using his feed pellets which to be honest are good and quite cheap. I wouldnt really mess around with 4's and 6's. Id go 8's or even 10mm on the band. Most carp are between 3 and 6lb. You can catch up in the water here but, if it aint got a breeze on they will spook very easily. If it was me Id hit it hard with pellet and if it has a ripple on then Id be pinging 3 or 4 pellets all the time. And I mean all the time. They will come to the noise. Good luck ?

Dusty

Quality info that mate. I’ve been told it’s full of big and hard fighting carp.. I’ll have to beef up my setup a bit.

Cheers again

Dusty

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
they definitely fight above their weight heavy tackle a must
Cheers
Tony
Yea, I wonder why that is ? They are a good strain of carp and some rather pretty fish amongst them. Alan did well when bought those in all those years ago. I liken the fight to the fight you get from the carp at Bankend fisheries. They pull your rod in also. If Dusty gets in amongst them he'll definitely sleep that night. ?

Tony1774

Agree similar fish at Bankend especially on the Match Lake had them give me the run around and smashed rigs same as Mill Dam