Mill Dam Girton

mattnewark

Looking to take the old boy somewhere local at the weekend. Not fished Mill Dam for years, used to be decent on a small method or the pole for a few fish. Anyone got any suggestions as to whether it's worth it?

Any specific rules I need to know of?

Can't face Portland as I've been there loads, and Foston is, well, just not the place I remember 20 years ago. So I'm just looking for somewhere in the Newark area for a few fish. Been solely on the Trent for a long time, and the lad just want a few fish from a pond/lake for a change.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Alan ( owner ) will put you right mate. Personally I’d fish the furthest pond ( match pond ) You can park in the small car park and the pond is just over the little banking in front of you. I’d fish the first couple of pegs up the left hand side if was you. You’ll catch. I’ve broke the ice there in the past and caught. Cup in micros to the island and fish a hooker or maggot on the hook. Maggot may get you too many small fish but, worth a try. It’s deep enough down the edge so cup a few grains of corn in here and try it throughout the day. I wouldn’t bother too much with the track. You can catch in the summer there but, not this weather I’m afraid. It often takes an hour or so to get your first bite but, don’t be put off. Once they find you you should get a few. Alan has some nice looking mirrors and they fight like the carp at bankend so don’t go too light. 0.13 is what I’d recommend even in winter. They do pull a bit. Good luck and let us know how you get on. 👍

Trent_Fisher

Site Supporter
Our club fish here but I’ve not managed to fish it yet as I’ve always been busy. The lads in the club tell me it’s full of absolute munters that fight like stink. Some big weights to be had. 👍

Trent_Fisher

Site Supporter
Looking to take the old boy somewhere local at the weekend. Not fished Mill Dam for years, used to be decent on a small method or the pole for a few fish. Anyone got any suggestions as to whether it's worth it?

Any specific rules I need to know of?

Can't face Portland as I've been there loads, and Foston is, well, just not the place I remember 20 years ago. So I'm just looking for somewhere in the Newark area for a few fish. Been solely on the Trent for a long time, and the lad just want a few fish from a pond/lake for a change.
Have you considered Little John? Just down the road in Ollerton. Always good for a few bites.

mattnewark

Are keep nets allowed at Girton?

I seem to remember you had to use their pellets as well?

Still undecided, as I'm tempted for a Barbel as usual due to the conditions being good....we'll see.