Milk Delivery!

jods

Site Supporter
Rewind 40 years of my life. Apparently you can get Milk delivered in glass bottles by somebody who drives an Electric vehicle! I was informed today by a teenager. Told him when i was a kid they used to bring pop, bread, eggs and potatoes as well. Lazy arses now.

Maverick

Site Supporter
Yes times have changed. The Alpine pop man used to call every Saturday. 4 bottles for £1. Remember Beer at home meant Davenports? And the local man in his Mothers Pride van who delivered the bread always used to fix us up with a sack of brown crumb for our bream fishing.

About 6 years ago I got a knock on the door by 2 women almost begging me to try having my milk delivered for a week. They were obviously family members of the local milkman doing there best to drum up some custom for him.

I had to decline their request but did feel for them. Nothing stays the same does it. Recent news about Mothercare and Mamas & Papas shutting their doors. Just 2 more well known names that will cease trading soon.

How do you see your local town looking in the future? Personally I think they will be full of derelict buildings. I can only see the out of town retail parks surviving.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
We still get our milk delivered and it comes in glass bottles :)

I think it's about 80p a pint and the missus says we can get 2pints in the supermarket for the same price.
However the difference in taste and quality from the milkman, especially on cereals or just as a drink, is miles better. The supermarket stuff is mass processed now to the point of being a white liquid to bung in your tea or coffee.
And milk bottles can be used time and time again, not like the plastic milk containers ;)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
We still have a Ringtons tea van come round here.

Stansthirdboy

Site Supporter
Royal Mail got rid of posties on bikes in favour of diesel guzzling vans, how foolish does that look now in the time of carbon fooprint and climate change, walk past our Royal Mail yard and the vans are all left running "warming up", and thats just our depot, I bet it happens all over the country.
Supermarkets were the instigators of plastic bottles, they called it health and safety, but while working for Kwik Save we were told it was because of weight on the lorries, proven by the pop man being able to carry glass for years with only the odd breakage.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Various reasons they went to plastic such as weight,cost to produce,sterilisation cost for glass etc
What has made one of the biggest impacts is the planet has been running out of sand for thirty years.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
We have a milk. Yes it’s a little more expensive but it’s convenient. Having 4 pint bottles in the fridge every other day instead of 3 big 6pint bottles every week is life changing.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Royal Mail got rid of posties on bikes in favour of diesel guzzling vans, how foolish does that look now in the time of carbon fooprint and climate change, walk past our Royal Mail yard and the vans are all left running "warming up", and thats just our depot, I bet it happens all over the country.
Supermarkets were the instigators of plastic bottles, they called it health and safety, but while working for Kwik Save we were told it was because of weight on the lorries, proven by the pop man being able to carry glass for years with only the odd breakage.
I worked for royal mail when we used push bikes, the mail was delivered a lot quicker then, I could do a morning and dinner time delivery and still be finished for around 12pm, now the posties are walking and are out all hours of the day.And they call it progress.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Most don't use bikes now as the rounds are too big and they have to return to the van for another bag. Two deliverers will share a van.

Probably also scared of having the bike nicked.☺

Last edited:

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
That's for the amount of parcels the postie has to deliver. More parcels than letters, my postess keeps telling me.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Most don't use bikes now as the rounds are too big and they have to return to the van for another bag. Two deliverers will share a van.

Probably also scared of having the bike nicked.☺
Mine was a 550 house delivery round, I had two bags regularly even when not going to all houses, bags were left at a safe designated house, or at a sub post office if on a delivery round, Or if packed correctly ,2 bags could be carried on front of bike,