mighty hot day at Marshside

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
It was warm before I had awoke, the meagre breeze had hardly troubled the nets inside the open windows of the bedroom

Saturday had been hot, uncomfortably hot after the tempratures of the preceeding weeks, just walking down to the bait shop to pick up a couple of pint of maggot had tired both the black dog and myself and that had been before the sun had hit the highest point in the sky,

they had sweated by the time we had got home, via a quick trip to our favourite watering hole, proper damp, requiring a good dusting of sawdust and a heavy shake before riddling it back off and covering them with fresh before thier sojourn overnight in the fridge

arising from my pit, a cold splash and wipe down with a damp flannel wakened the tired body a bit more and down to a fresh brewed mug of hot sweet Java before letting my listless mate out for his ablutions in the yard

temprature was still high, this early, promising another day of high sun and no cloud, not the greatest conditions for the interclub match over at Scroggins lake at Chislet,

I had booked on earlier in the week, and was lucky to get a space as everybody and thier auntie had seemed to want to fish this week, Cinque Ports AS were taking thier full complement of allowed anglers over to the north Kent marshes in the continued rivalry between the aforementioned angling club and Wantsum AC, the hosts

Fags were rolled, Flask made, a bottle of lemon barley water and a meat pie found thier way into the cavernous spaces of the carryall, before the whole kit and caboodle were loaded into the trusty T4 sat right outside the house (very rare to manage to get a parking spot there, and very handy too)

it was too hot that early to take the pup with me, even the just risen sun was warming the tarmac of the path as we had a quick walk up past the railway line and back, the cloudless skys promising even higher temps for later on

firing up the 4 pot deisel, a quick turn around and off ttowards the byepass and the sign of the golden arches, a gruff manly voice was returned from my request for a couple of sausage and egg baps, and a stop at the payment desk was met by a 40 plus old fella giving me my bill ? pull up to the collection point and there was another adult male, mmmh where were the youthfull pleasing to the eye wenches that normally brightened my early morning visits ?

out and on the road, up through the tunnels and onto the ancient highway towards the Cathedral city, the breeze picked up as we rose higher over the south downs, passing by the old army staging grounds at Barham downs, (particulaly poignient as to the anniversary of the invasion to free europe this weekend, a nod in that direction and a quick thanks was uttered by your driver as we passed bye) cruising through the canterbury pinch point, we swept east toward thanet following the valley of the river stour, up the long hill at sturry and onto the flat plain that once was the hub of the east kent coalfield, now sadly gone, and being massively redeveloped as a huge housing estate, jerry built houses springing up on unstable ground, the old slag heaps have been levelled, not so sure I would want to buy a property there

past Upstreet and onto the winding country road to Chislet village, turn right and follow the agricultural access road towards the fishery, I was there early, stupidly early, but the small car park already held a dozen or so vehicles, pulling up, it was meet and greet those who I knew and some others i didnt, Im still trying to get to grips with the names of the regular match group of th CPAS anglers, though some will have to do with the greeting "alright mush" for a while yet

out with the gear and loading it onto the preston pram, today along with the pole and whips, I had chucked in a rod bag holding two feeder rods and a medium wag, the venue was aknown feeder water,

its an old farm reservoir, built up above the surrounding fields, quite a big pond for what it is, with a couple of islands towards the further parts from the access end at the car park, the whole pond is surrounded by dense reed beds as are the islands and its the common held belief that chucking the method towards those island reeds with catch you some of the resident carp, these run to a fair old size, upwards of 20lbs I believe, there is also a decent head of silvers, Bream, roach, rudd, gudgeon and perch, a good angling lake really and looked after by its club, the peg platforms are timber with non slip metal mesh cladding and are a decent size, accomodating even the largest modern seat boxes and theres 42 of them scattered around the bank

the car parks really filling now and it looks like we have over 30 anglers vyeing for todays biggest netfull, waiting on the draw its announced that we pull pegs at 9am and fish between 10.30 till 3,30,

being as I had registered early, it wasnt long before i called up and my paw dips into the bag of chance, scrabbling around, the fingers grasp and withdraw the counter numbered 6, mmmh shortish walk just down the left hand side of the pond, off and at em mick !

quick trundle for the 4 wheeler and we arrive, good peg to look at, reeds either side of the pallet and the tip of the first island well within an easy chuck range, 35-40 yards at most,

didnt take long to set up, was done in well under the hour, leaving me plenty of time for agreeing with each peg either side of me, where we could cast to on the said island, the peg to my right had little claim, but being a reasonable fella, I was quite happy for him to come over and hit the tip and along the first 5 metres of what would of been cosiderecd my pegs chucking area

todays set up was 6 kits for the old Daiwa 510 pole,

Two of which were loaded with NG black hollo elastic rated at 12-16 for the resident carp, both with NG slim gimp fibre stemmed 0.8 floats, 0.16 rig lines to size 16 drennan silverfish pellet banded hooks, one with a fast drop olivette and the other with a spread stott bulk, both with a single no10 dropper-telltale 4 inches from the hook

Two with NG white hollo rated at 6-10 for the bream shoals and longer to hand fishing, rig lines of 0.14, loaded with 0.5 NG finesse fibre stemmed floats, size 18 drennan silverfish maggot hooks, both shotted with spread stotz bulks and single no10 droppers

and the last two, were NG dark blue hollo, rated at 4-6 for anything that swims rigs, both fitted with NG cane tipped chianti style floats, carbon stemmed, shotted with spread bulks, no droppers and fitted up with drennan silverfish maggot size 18 hooks, these would be used for the silverfish close in and along the side reeds, both being set up to fish to hand on a top four

both feeder rods were set up, one with a 30 gramme method feeder and the other with a 5 square drennan cage, both had quick links so a choice of short or long, banded or quickstop or even plain hooklengths could be used

groundbait mixed, two types, browning sweet roach mania and a tub of good old mary q 130

baits for today were white and red live maggot, mixed deads, cawn, some dodgy frozen caster, and a mix of soft and hard pellets,

there it was, the horn blows for the off, while we had been waiting a fairly stiff breeze had sprung up, it was hitting me from the right hand side and causing the reeds to wave thier heads a fair old bit, undaunted the first feed went in, half a handfull of deads to my front at 5 metres and a big pinch or two of live to either side a foot out from the reeds, where when plumbing up had shown a small drop off of about 4 to 6 inches,

swinging the cane tipped chianti rig out, the float settled just touching the face of this drop off, leave 30 seconds and lift the rig so the float was out the water and drop it again, while feeding a half dozen maggot, the third or forth lift showed an indication, the ultra sensative float not settling, quick lift and the shout of "Banzaii" was heard across the pond, a small rudd was unhooked and deposited in the silvers keepnet weave, rebait with a single white and back in again, same procedure and the same result, the first half hour wasnt to bad, I reckoned on about half pound of the eyes and arses were swimming in the net, looking around, it seemed the majority of those that i could see were bombarding the island margins with the feeder and none were catching

not all the splashing I could see and hear was caused by thier feeders though, there seemed to be a hell of a lot of carp nookie going on, I'll leave that I thought and got my head down, it was quite slow after the initial half hour, a lot of work going into each fish I hooked and swung in, feeding lightly around the complete clock face to the front the entire top 4 line and angles were only producing the odd fish, the best being when I shallowed up with the shot set high taking a couple of 3 to 4 ounce rudd on the drop, but they were rare, the majority being tiny roach rudd and perch

out came the cup kit and 5 big jaffas of the feed were deposited on the 8 section line, I will come back and go over that later

the close lines had died, time was getting on, the breeze was casing 4 inch waves and no one seemed to be catching owt, not surprising being the amount of anglers on it and the carp sex going on in the reeds

about 3 hours in, a different splashing was heard, catching splashing, the peg to my left had a carp on, oh bugger or words to that effect slipped silently from my lips, a quick shout at the unseen anglr confirmed she had just landed a common about 3lb, that was all my hard work battered by one single fish

out came the feeder, loading the cage with the 130, and fitting a shortish hooklength with a banded 8mm skretting it was launched to midwater between me and the island and a few pouchfulls of the same pellet cattied over it, fag on, feet up and coffee poured, I awaited the result, feeding a pouch over it every cast, the tip remained untwitchable, the only movement was caused by the wind, had plenty of time then to look around, there were walkers and empty pegs, a bit of banter with the peg to my right declared that as he had fed my island chuck up all match , I fancied a bung to it now, the reply was full of expletives and that i was welcome to it as there was fek all there anyway !

I gave it a long boring non catching hour before I eventually threw the rod back up the bank and got the long pole out to fish over the groundbait line, out went the black kits with banded pellet and drilled 8mm boilies over the feed, that was hard, the wind bending the pole alarmingly at times, presentation was awful, even though I fitted a no6 shot a foot above the float in the vain attempt to stop the wobbling, it was to tiring, half hour over that line and my forearms were aching with the strain, gave it up as a bad job and came in close again

feedin half dozen gentles tight to the reeds to my right, I dropped the rig in as tight as I could to the waving stems, a few eyes and arses obliged and were netted when a long slow sail way occurred, the float heading out toward the island, lifting into it, there was a solid resistance, the dark blue hollo streamed out the end of the top kit as I attempted to halt the run by dipping the kit deep into the water, relief, it turned and kited to the left, then the right, then out again, then right in, then actually under the platform, please god, please god, let me land it, the fishermans prayer was slipping past my lips automatically, out it came, off toward the island again, this time as it turned a huge shovel sized tail momentarily broke water, it was a tench, old ruby eyes and a decent one too, please god, please, the fight between man and beast seemed to last an hour, it towed me hither and thither, some heart rending moments as it headed towards the dense reeds or the island, I missed the first netting oppertunity, flustering while dipping the spoon towards it, which sent it off in another round of powerful runs, my arms were aching, the dark blue was proper working out, till it just stopped and came to the net like a lamb, dipping under it the glass composite of the handle bent in a deep curve as the fishes weight was taken care of by the 20 inch weave

it was on my knees, laying there gills pumping and flanks heaving, bit like the catcher, what a bonny fish it was, dark green, huge tailed beast, collecting my thought, I went to remmove the hook, but it wasnt there, it had come loose as I had lifted the tinca free of his watery home, bloody hell !

slipping him into the net, I sat back and had a coffee, drawing a huge toke of cooling tobacco smoke deep into my lungs, I knew it then, that was it, that was the best today would offer, nothings gonna beat that outta this peg, the last half hour befour the whistle was just going through the motions, the peg produced nothing else

its over, time to pack away, was still at it when Steve turned up with the scales and the net, "are you weighing?" he asks, "yes" I reply

the electronic display shows 6lb oz on its face, 5lb of that was the green beast, i was winning up to then, beating all on that bank,

the far end that the wind was blowing into was the best end, all the bigger weights came from there, winner had 25lb 12oz with Nick Gilbert 2nd with 21lb 13, (taking my golden nugget too), only 8 out of the 35 anglers reaching double figures on a very windy and bright hard day,

I came 11th overall, (2nd best on my bank) worth 5 more points towards the club championship

Total

Site Supporter
Your reports never disappoint in their content Mick. (y) ....Excellent as normal:giggle:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Great read as always Mick, got to love a nice Dame Judy. ;)
I do miss those Chippo Nuggets though. :LOL:

ATTICUS FINCH

yet again ole willy shakespeare would be pleased at your litery skills chippo .
typical of Gilbert to draw a hot peg .
look forward to reading more of your excursions into the waters of kent soon mate.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Back down the canal at aldergate for this years cancer charity match this saturday,

done well in this over the last few years, heres hoping that my luck changes

Maidstone1922

Well done Mick, sounds like a tough day. I had a lovely orange koi out the one time I fished Scroggins, nice water.
I've been snooping on your reports from Mote Park for years, which have provided much merriment and mirth, so cheers for that!
All the best, M