Might be me, but

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Reading an article last week, penned by a well respected and very good angler and in a regular publication.

Could well be me in how i read it/understood it, so may be a wrong assumption on my part.

In essence, two rods set up identically, using one at a time, but the two set up to ensure straight back in to not miss the moment.

The article or at least how it read to me was that on hooking and landing one good Barbel, the other rod was then cast out to maximise the opportunity time frame.

Whilst unhooking the Barbel, the other rod goes and a second Barbel is played and landed, had me wondering what care was in place (not mentioned) for the first Barbel being 'unhooked' when the angler then went to play the other rod. It reads as if the other Barbel was left un-attended and may be unhooked at that point.

Could easily be my reading of it and granted that every single detail won't always be documented. Equally i could assume the best, rather then the worst, but.........

Reading it as it was written though i just wondered.
We all largely do the best we can and never without the best intentions overall, and i get it yes, we all get in some sort of situation sometimes where the fish welfare may have become secondary, i just felt that seizing the moment in this case, read as if it had taken priority over what the if factor, and the chances of it happening made worse by the law of sod.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Seems like asking for trouble to me. You need to be able to ensure the first fish is safely unhooked and released or put in the keepnet before trying to play the second fish !

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
trying to explain every tiny detail is extremely hard with just words, our brains will fill in the gaps based on our own past knowledge, experiences or assumptions so it could be a whole number of things but unless the article details every detail or adds pictures/photos then we will naturally fill in the blanks, only full answer will come from the person who wrote it.

I leave barbel to recover in the landing net but would never leave the fish unattended, maximising fishing time shouldnt come at the cost of fish welfare/safety

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Yes fair ginger, my worry is also though when there may be the less experienced reading it too.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
fully agree and that is part of the problem with articles and the written word alone, this is why i love you tube and other video platforms as its much much easier to learn the good things as well as learning the things not to do!

Line Clip

Go back five years, and I would fish a pleasure session on a carp lake ( tough water ) with two rods in the winter, one in open
water, ( popped up bread ) the other rod method feeder with a wafter down the edge in six foot of water.
On the day both rods went off within seconds of the other, with snags in the corner of the lake it was only going to end
in disaster, luckily my mate who was on the next peg grabbed one rod while I had the other it was a bit of knit one pearl one
with lines under and over, just ridiculous tangled mess.
We did manage to get both fish in, but from that day I have not fished two rods again, there was no joy to be had in that situation
How do the specimen carp anglers manage three rods,
I suppose the odds of two at a time are rare.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
it is rare that two go off at the same time though i have had all three go off at once one time and i simply called for other anglers fishing the lake as well as no snags and barbless hooks so the third fish dropped off after 20 seconds or so, but it can happen for sure and certainly not ideal

did happen another time but it was a rat that got tangled in my hangers and line and tangled the lot in the dark as he tried to get free!

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I once fished a two rod match up near Denmark and when I got bites, it was nearly always on both of the rods at the same time- After that match I swore that I'd never fish a two rod match again and I havent.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
The article in question does show the angler photographed with both fish, so whatever did or didn't go on in between, both fish were present on the bank for a photo.

rudd

Site Supporter
Double takes can be common if two rods are fishing one area and a shoal moves in.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Yes, but was one rod at a time in this case. It was the putting the other rod in before the other fish had been sorted that concerned me.

If and when fishing two rods simultaneously (Barbelling) neither of the two possible outcome are potentially good, but over leave a fish on the bank to grab the other rod or see to the fish and let the other run, potentially into a snag, i would still have to let it run.