Midlands angling club warned it could lose fishing rights after holding fishing match in lockdown

jasonb

Account Locked
I've said on here that I'm no great fan of the Angling Trust, (it's a long story going back 9 years), but they are now established as anglings representative body. In that role they have sought, and received clarity from the Government, as to what we, as anglers, can and can't do. They've passed this on to the rest of us to try and avoid any confusion. With this in mind, why is this guy blaming it all on the Angling Trust, they are just the messengers?
I don't know this guy, or the fishery/club he represents, and after seeing his video where he's whinging and moaning like a petulant, foulmouthed school kid, I'm glad that I don't. Sadly, for the image of angling, it appears that he has quite a few fans though.

John.
If you go back to the first lockdown the Angling Trust set out guidelines which didn’t seem to be backed up by law hence matches were happening legally before the Angling Trust gave the go ahead.

I’m a member of the Angling trust, attend meeting and back what they are trying to do but there is a big lack of mistrust from a large section of the match angling fraternity that the Angling trust don’t seem to be too bothered about bridging and I think that in the main comes down to poor communication.

I’m not one for ranting or raving or trying to demonise people for simply fishing. It’s quite clear Lee has a problem with the Angling trust and the CRT and I reckon if they all got together and had a chat about they would find common ground and move on.
And to reiterate I was not at the match but I communicate with Lee on FB so if anyone would like to check back through the posts you will see what I said on here is on the HanKat F/B page.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
but there is a big lack of mistrust from a large section of the match angling fraternity that the Angling trust don’t seem to be too bothered about bridging and I think that in the main comes down to poor communication.

I don't see that, what I see is a small section of the match angling fraternity who act like impatient petulant children when they don't get their own way or it doesn't go the way that they want from the off.
If you check the names of those who spout off their bile against the AT, you'll see it's the same names time and time again. No doubt they also despise the government and think that CV is a massive conspiracy.

As regards communication, what are they expecting, to be delivered hand written letters by personal couriers? They receive the same communications as everyone else and I don't see everyone else up in arms, stamping their feet, effing and blinding, refusing point blank to follow the rules.
I have yet to see one professional match angler protest against the rules, the same rules I might add that the majority of anglers are following, nope just the same minority and that goes for some fishery owners as well.

jasonb

Account Locked
Alright medium section of the match angling fraternity... I fish a lot of matches big and small and I would say those that support the angling trust are in a definite minority, a lot of them simply because they have to mandatory join the angling trust to fish in matches such as Riverfest.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I have to defend the communication from the Angling Trust. I find they as open as you could want. In the past I have had questions answered by the chief executive and had email conversations with him as a result. I doubt there are many organisations where that would happen.

I get regular emails with latest news and they have taken the step of getting membership of this site so as to communicate directly to all site members as well as anyone else looking in. I'm not sure you can ask for more.

After that I guess its like asking a Man U supporter to say something nice about Man City*. If you are dead set against something nothing we can say will change your mind.

*Insert two rival teams of your choice.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Alright medium section of the match angling fraternity... I fish a lot of matches big and small and I would say those that support the angling trust are in a definite minority, a lot of them simply because they have to mandatory join the angling trust to fish in matches such as Riverfest.

Strangely my club won't let me fish their matches unless I am a member.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
why do people think they are special and that they should get every little detail and decision explained to them? rules are rules, guidance is guidance, guidance from AT is regarded as rules in relation to angling matters, 99.9% of us anglers accept that 0.1% think they are special! its bloody stupid!

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
When you have various instructions handed down by people who do not always follow their own rules to the letter there will always be others who will interpret said rules to their own agenda, this was the case pre covid and possibly has been brought more into focus now with the masks etc.
As far as match fishing goes it only needs a little thought as to how it can continue in a limited way, open matches and festivals even ran smoothly with minimal contact following the various social distancing regulations but the competitors were not always as careful as they should have been sadly.
One club I know of are still having matches every week by pairing anglers up so they weigh each other and then the overall winner is decided later over phone message and the small winnings paid direct into their bank a reverse of how they paid the entry.
I queried this with the organiser after I was told about it and apart from his acknowledgement that it was not totally in the spirit of the lockdown his opinion was it was acceptable given that the club needed to continue from a social point of view and also receive some income to repay the monies already laid out in bookings. My comment was that it was only a month and his club did not book matches in January or February normally because of bad weather anyway.
Lets see if the lockdown has worked well enough to bring the figures down by December and restore some normality but in the mean time people are getting more on edge with the "cabin fever" effect so lets be tolerant within reason and stay safe everyone.

Carp attack

I dare say there were plenty of matches that went ahead the past weekend just gone but all kept " hush hush " just to appease folk and I dare say that it will be the same this weekend at places,
How do you stop them? Am not sure you can, as ppl have said you will always get those who will bend/justify there thinking as to it's right! We can only hope they get caught an brought to a stop an then whatever fines come there way, but its only going to fook it up in the long run for everyone of us match anglers who tow the line and wait patiently to be given the nod of approval it's ok to go again,,
Again it was only 4 FOOKING weeks!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The way to stop them would be to make all angling unlawful - something nobody wants to see happen.

That way there are no questions, no confusion, no wriggling out. But what will be absolutely clear is we will know who to hold responsible should such a total ban be implemented, and let's not kid ourselves, some of the decision-makers would be please to see that happen regardless of the pandemic.

Carp attack

The way to stop them would be to make all angling unlawful - something nobody wants to see happen.

That way there are no questions, no confusion, no wriggling out. But what will be absolutely clear is we will know who to hold responsible should such a total ban be implemented, and let's not kid ourselves, some of the decision-makers would be please to see that happen regardless of the pandemic.
Agree, a total ban would be the only way I can also see, no confusion in " rules " then would there,, but ppl would still play up holy rubbish about that,
not what I would want personally a total ban but for others who really need the outside for there well been and can tow the line in accordance with what government wants it's a shame to stop those but its needs must am afraid, we need to get a grip of this, again 4 weeks! Some ppl are just so self important/ignorant an fook everyone else,,

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
I dare say there were plenty of matches that went ahead the past weekend just gone but all kept " hush hush " just to appease folk and I dare say that it will be the same this weekend at places,
How do you stop them? Am not sure you can, as ppl have said you will always get those who will bend/justify there thinking as to it's right! We can only hope they get caught an brought to a stop an then whatever fines come there way, but its only going to fook it up in the long run for everyone of us match anglers who tow the line and wait patiently to be given the nod of approval it's ok to go again,,
We as a club took the opinion that as the committee organise the matches then they will be liable for the very large fines if they are caught. How many committee men can spare the 10k. Why people want to try and circumnavigate the rules is beyond me. One of the clubs I help run is a rod and line only club. No pole fishing allowed. Very popular with 20 members and full membership since it started 11 years ago. Yet we have one member who when he joined spent 11 years trying to design a float for the rod that wasn't a pole float but it was everytime. My question was why bother joining then try to bend the rules.

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
The fisheries are at fault if that is the case. There are plenty who have closed for the month and these are the ones we should support in better times. I am currently trying to find out about a fishery off the A19 above York that are supposed to be running matches hush hush. If I could get it confirmed I will ensure that the clubs I am in no longer book matches there.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
There's always folk who try and push a boundary... usually to the point of breaking the rules... call em out over it and to them you're the villain

Carp attack

The fisheries are at fault if that is the case. There are plenty who have closed for the month and these are the ones we should support in better times. I am currently trying to find out about a fishery off the A19 above York that are supposed to be running matches hush hush. If I could get it confirmed I will ensure that the clubs I am in no longer book matches there.
Agree, the fishery an ppl who are participating are at fault an therefore should expect a hefty fine if found in breach of the rules, no excuse, no second chance, it's plain as black an white the rules! No inbetween as far as am aware,

I also had a pretty heated discussion about matches with a mate ( use the term mate very loosely now ), he is in the fook them mentality and by all accounts fished a match on sunday! He was justifying it to the eight degree! An I was wrong for saying it wasng allowed, so exactly what where talking about,, will keep going round an round an round in circles with this until we see light at end of the tunnel,

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
One thing this has showed me is some of the 40 or 50 folk I fish various club matches with have showed themselves in a whole different light. I classed them as mates and some as good friends but I have reassessed a few of them now due to their continued whinging about the whole distancing thing especially in the first lockdown. When our matches restart in 2021 I can see me having some very quiet matches if I draw next to anyone of them. Eventually they will ask if I am alright and why I am so quiet and then I can let them have both barrels :2guns:and believe me I will.

JayD

If you go back to the first lockdown the Angling Trust set out guidelines which didn’t seem to be backed up by law hence matches were happening legally before the Angling Trust gave the go ahead.

I’m a member of the Angling trust, attend meeting and back what they are trying to do but there is a big lack of mistrust from a large section of the match angling fraternity that the Angling trust don’t seem to be too bothered about bridging and I think that in the main comes down to poor communication.

I’m not one for ranting or raving or trying to demonise people for simply fishing. It’s quite clear Lee has a problem with the Angling trust and the CRT and I reckon if they all got together and had a chat about they would find common ground and move on.
And to reiterate I was not at the match but I communicate with Lee on FB so if anyone would like to check back through the posts you will see what I said on here is on the HanKat F/B page.

It is obvious from his childish rant that he certainly does have a big problem with the Angling Trust, I have issues as well, but can't understand why he seems to be blaming them for the restrictions. This is not just an angling issue, where Angling Trust make the rules, it's a global pandemic for Christ's sake. The Angling Trust have just passed on the message from the Government. They are not a legislative, body, they are a representative organisation, they can't do anything about a perceived problem with 'Illegals', that's the job of the EA and police. The Angling Trust can only lobby, and work with, the authorities on any issue like this.
I find it ironic that a large section of the match fishing fraternity have a 'beef' with the ATr, it used to be that they were accused of favouring match angling over other disciplines. I could understand them having a bias at the time because back then match angling provided a large chunk of their revenue, not sure what's changed.

John.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I suspect the same people had a "beef" with the NFA prior to the AT so I think it's a similar situation as football fans and the match referee. They all think they can do a better job and they themselves should be in charge. God forbid!!