Midlands angling club warned it could lose fishing rights after holding fishing match in lockdown

CluelessFishing

Site Supporter
I think one of the major impacts of Covid 19 is the way that it blocks up ICU.
to give you an illustration, when I had open heart surgery in 2012 I was in ICU for 1 night of recovery ... whereas covI’d patients can be in for several weeks.
it just hobbles the whole system!
I'd say you are right . The fear is the sudden overwhelming of the system by something new and which presents large numbers of serious cases in a short period . Cancer patients often spend long periods of time in hospital before death/recovery/transfer to hospice etc frees up the bed but over decades we have become prepared for that relatively stable albeit extremely high number of patients. When something like this comes along we are not ....and indeed cannot possibly be continually prepared for massive influxes of seriously ill patients . The preventing of death has been tied in to the equation in a way which doesn't really address the real issue which is coping with numbers . The repeated showing of death numbers on a daily basis is counterproductive in my opinion . just hammer the line that the lockdowns and other measures are needed to cope with the need for treatments and availability of resources . Imagine if the daily death toll for cancer heart disease and dementia were plastered over the news daily with graphs projections etc.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
My daughter has 30 covid patients on her ward and there are none in ICU at the moment. Where as at the peak of the 1st wave they were almost full in ICU. So what does this tell us?

I hear a very similar story here mate.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
My daughter has 30 covid patients on her ward and there are none in ICU at the moment. Where as at the peak of the 1st wave they were almost full in ICU. So what does this tell us?
Dr interviewed on the radio the other day said it was because they have more experience of the disease and are better at treating people, both in technique and medication. Bound to make a difference.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Doesn't quite work like that Chris, at 95% efficiency, a virus is unable to find enough hosts to allow it to spread.

So yes, an efficient vaccination scheme would effectively eradicate it within months assuming there are no mutations.

As Genisis said and I also mentioned the uptake on the vaccine at 95%, would only work if every one took it, then I agree with you, but that's not what's going to happen, many people like my wife won't take a vaccine which has only been tested for a few months ,there will be many who think like that, and I also agree with someone saying about 40% not taking it, which would put the vaccine down at 50 or at the best 60 % efficient.

I would like to think you are right that it would be done in months, but I still agree with the quoted scientist that it will be another year.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
The unfortunate knock on effect of the numbers being hospitalised for 1-2 weeks is that there have been huge numbers of cancellations for other surgeries and procedures affecting many more and that backlog is going to take a considerable amount of time to clear, even if there is no further interruptions. :(

grey

Site Supporter
As Genisis said and I also mentioned the uptake on the vaccine at 95%, would only work if every one took it, then I agree with you, but that's not what's going to happen, many people like my wife won't take a vaccine which has only been tested for a few months ,there will be many who think like that, and I also agree with someone saying about 40% not taking it, which would put the vaccine down at 50 or at the best 60 % efficient.

I would like to think you are right that it would be done in months, but I still agree with the quoted scientist that it will be another year.
Do you think it would be that low, Chris? Worrying if so. I'm hoping an intense vaccination programme followed by a long summer (where transmission rate naturally drops) will see the back of it.

alsur

Site Supporter
I think one of the major impacts of Covid 19 is the way that it blocks up ICU.
to give you an illustration, when I had open heart surgery in 2012 I was in ICU for 1 night of recovery ... whereas covI’d patients can be in for several weeks.
it just hobbles the whole system!

I think that would have been a real problem if measures weren't put in place as CluelessFishing said there Is a upper limit of number of deaths covid will cause if left unchecked but while, that was being reached the NHS would grind to a halt and many more people would die of it her causes.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
"As Genisis said and I also mentioned the uptake on the vaccine at 95%, would only work if every one took it, then I agree with you, but that's not what's going to happen, many people like my wife won't take a vaccine which has only been tested for a few months ,there will be many who think like that, and I also agree with someone saying about 40% not taking it, which would put the vaccine down at 50 or at the best 60 % efficient."

The overall effect on the population if only 50% took it, would be about 48% of total population might be protected. The vaccine will still be at 94% effective rate for those who take it,

genesis

Canis Manducare Canis
Site Supporter
Whilst covid certainly is real and certainly is deadly it is nothing like as deadly as cancer at the moment nor is it likely ever to be. 165 thousand people die of cancer in the uk every year so the covid deaths are nowhere close . It is a comparison of apples and pears to some degree since there are a number of different cancers however lung cancer alone accounts for example for 35 thousand deaths a year . In any case I'm not sure of the value of applying the criteria of how many people any individual knows personally who have died of either to ones judgements . It would be merely anecdotal . Unless one questions the statistics being given nationally and internationally for covid or cancer the figures are there to be seen . Ive never seen anybody drop dead of a heart attack for example but i dont dispute the fact that tens of thousands of people a year do so.
I agree with you to a point but you can't catch cancer from some idiot who ignores the rules. Personally I have been treated for prostate cancer twice and hopefully there won't be a third time.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Believe in the Christmas Miracle, last year on this very day i had just started my 2 day trek following in the footsteps of Jesus, Believe things are gonna be ok (y) 711DFAC9-B5D5-4F71-BE1A-3F2F86A0AAAC.jpeg

jasonb

Account Locked
I ONLY match fish and thats it so no fishing for me at the moment but it's not the end of the universe is it. Matches are not allowed. Live with it
What?....what presumptions are you making in your head, read my posts on this matter in no way am I trying to justify match fishing I was making the point of why Lee presumed he could run a match legally....he didn't know it was illegal to compete...that was the only point I was making and many on here did not know the real reason why match angling was not allowed in this lockdown so I was informing them...that's all.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
he didn't know it was illegal to compete

He did, he posted on FB prior to the match that the AT does not speak for him and the match will be going ahead, hence the reason why he also called the police and invited them down to see the match in progress.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I'd say you are right . The fear is the sudden overwhelming of the system by something new and which presents large numbers of serious cases in a short period . Cancer patients often spend long periods of time in hospital before death/recovery/transfer to hospice etc frees up the bed but over decades we have become prepared for that relatively stable albeit extremely high number of patients. When something like this comes along we are not ....and indeed cannot possibly be continually prepared for massive influxes of seriously ill patients . The preventing of death has been tied in to the equation in a way which doesn't really address the real issue which is coping with numbers . The repeated showing of death numbers on a daily basis is counterproductive in my opinion . just hammer the line that the lockdowns and other measures are needed to cope with the need for treatments and availability of resources . Imagine if the daily death toll for cancer heart disease and dementia were plastered over the news daily with graphs projections etc.
Agreed. Everybody will at sometime in their life end up in Hospital. A lot of Hospitals being built now are smaller with less beds. Take my local in Swindon, they have opened a new one in the last 10 years. It is half the size of the old one in terms of wars and beds, yet Swindon is now twice the size in population terms than when the original was built. It’s not just about Covid, it’s everything else and there will be more deaths because of it.

jasonb

Account Locked
He did, he posted on FB prior to the match that the AT does not speak for him and the match will be going ahead, hence the reason why he also called the police and invited them down to see the match in progress.
The point I'm making Dave is Lee thought the reasons he could not match fish were the same reasons as the first lockdown...he thought if he did not have a gathering and kept social distancing it would be OK...he didn't know the competing bit and the CRT had not banned matches or keepnets

jasonb

Account Locked
I beg to differ but we'll leave it at that
The reason I know Dave is because after the match I asked him the question myself... he said he didn’t know it was illegal to compete.... and to be honest I didn’t know that either, I only realised when I watched Janie Cook on the Orvis interview.