DE75 7GY
UK TELEPHONE. (0177,3) 533533
FACSIMILE:' 01773) 533780
Email: Middy. tackle@virgin. net

DKMJCP661

21 January 2003

TO ALL CUSTOMERS

Dear Customer

Enclosed, please find our new 2003 trade catalogue, we hope you like the totally new format.

IMPORTANT STATEMENT REGARDING
THE LANDING NET AND KEEPNET ISSUE

Present there seems to be total confusion regarding used in 2003.
The facts regarding the issue are as follows:

A few fisheries might insist on soft style landing nets being used.

Soft nets are usually made from Polyester, and are really the old style slow dry nets ?there is no scientific proof that they are any more fish friendly.

Mono nets are the fast dry/shake dry style nets that most anglers have preferred over the past few years! They may, to a human being, feel a little bit harder then the soft netting but we are not fish! They are fish friendly

Fish like to go onto gravel bottoms and move in reed beds, both of which are a little hard not soft

There is a government / environment agency byelaw that relates to nets, and both Mono and soft (Polyester) knotless netting ?are Legal.

The scheme being Promoted through the 'Angling Foundation' has no basis in law!. It is totally voluntary standard.

In a recent mini survey? conducted by MIDDY, we rang 55 good quality fisheries nationwide. We asked," Will You in 2003 be insisting anglers use any good quality landing nets.

"The response was:

No answer or no comment 20 Fisheries
Any type / any good quality type allowed 34 Fisheries
Only soft Allowed 1 Fishery

The Directors of the Angling Foundation, who are promoting the voluntary scheme, may not be described as being totally impartial consisting of Simon Henton ?LEEDA, Andrew Reade ?FORMERLY OF KEENETS, Roy Marlow ? CONSULTANT TO ABU.

There is a danger that by promoting this 'soft' voluntary code, they (the Angling Foundation) could bring fishing into disrepute, which could mean less anglers enjoying the sport ? THE ONLY ILLEGAL NETS ARE THOSE THAT CONTRAVENE BYE LAW 12*.

All the MIDDY nets in our current range are LEGAL! They are compliant with Bye Law 12*.

11 It is thought that a few fisheries will only accept approved nets with the Angling Foundation logo. WRONG! Even Roy Marlow, one of the main instigators of the new voluntary initiative, is quoted as saying the following:

You do not need a kite mark to fish at my fishery, providing the net used is fish friendly

One of the keepnets being promoted by ABU Salesmen as 'fish friendly' is actually illegal under Bye Law 12*.

The original concept was for a voluntary code. on landing nets only, not keepnets. Bath " landing nets and keepnets in the current MIDDY range are LEGAL!

The poster and letter from the Angling Foundation in January Tackle & Guns Magazine and press articles by member / s of the Foundation, were are to say the least somewhat misleading and unfortunate.

A PERSONAL NOTE

Do not be fooled into thinking there is a new law, and that anglers must buy a new net.

Because of all the confusion MIDDY have introduced a "LEGAL NET' swingticket, look for it on our net range. It will be on all our nets in one months time.

Our range of nets have been checked by a distinguished panel.'

If any angler / fishery wants to use the popular mono fast dry nets then they are available, in the MIDDY range, they are "fish friendly".

If any angler / fishery wants to use Soft nets then they are available in the MIDDY range they are fish friendly".

It really is down to the choice the angler / fishery wishes to make ? THEY ARE BOTH LEAGAL

Ultimately the angler environment agency will have final say on which type of net they wish tolcan use, and the majority of fisheries will be sensible and allow either mono or soft, good quality legal fish friendly nets.

It really does not help the sport of fishing when Roy Marlow is quoting as saying I will embarrass any angler who does not wish to progress this action. ANYONE WHO IS AGAINST THIS SCHEME SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO GO FISHING AT ALL".

He is referring to the soft net scheme being promoted by the Angling Foundation. Lets all be sensible and get back to promoting and participating in an excellent sport. We all know anglers care about fish, in fact most care more*'a'bout fish and fishing than the wife and children.

1 state this as an angler of over 40 years experience it is truly a wonderful pastime, and for those who might think 1 am a little bit sexist, 1 do realise there are many female anglers who want to escape from the man in their life.

Tight lines.

MR D K MIDDLETON
Managing Director

Enc? Catalogue
Bye Law Poster

PS We believe in supporting you the retailer The poster enclosed states the Bye
Law. We are not against soft or mono nets or in favour of either, they are both
legal and are both fish friendly. We do not want to make any of your stocks seem
to become redundant. We realise that life i~"hard enough for a retailer without
interference by Companies, associations nd foundations. Wie'urge you to
display the poster ? it is the true law! Refer your customers to it. It states on the
poster "gov. uk".

Source:
Bye law 12 'A guide to Rod Fishing" ? environment?agency.gov.uk
Angling Foundation letter of the 15101103
Survey conducted on the 20101103 by Marie Green
Tackle & Guns magazine February Issue
The panel consists of, see Web site @ middytackle.com
Anglers Mail 11/01/03
[:D]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It gets better and better [:D]

Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
LOL you beat me to it.

I've just been reading the same thing

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Being the cynic I'am (Trogg dont say a word) is the statement a copy or was it retyped? I ask due to all the spelling and grammatical errors. I would like to think that it is a true copy and that its time for the weeklies to come clean and publish this attempt to rip of the angler.

chill out go fishing

Last edited:

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
john

from what i've been able to work out its actually a letter thats being sent from Middy Internationel to all the tackle shops they deal with, so i'd take it as a true letter.

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

mike s

I received a copy at the shop last week, minus the speling errers[:D]
It's good to see a manufacturer siding with anglers, for whatever reason.

Cumbria Angling Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.