Middy elasticated whips/poles

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So got a 4m Garbolino flick tip whip for Christmas and been kind of half looking at maybe getting an elasticated whip/short pole to go with it and it seems the only ones of any brand I've ever heard of that are in stock are by middy (all ridiculously named as it happens 😂) so just interested to hear if anyone's used any of them and has any thoughts on them?

Cheapest is the 4M impact/battlezone which is no real risk at its price just suspicious at its lack of elastic rating so wondering if a time knows what it has?

Mid range is the the 5.5M baggin machine which has a flick tip and two elasticated tips so potentially handy but only states them as medium and heavy, I think something like 8-10 (useful) and 18-20 (useless) if anyone can confirm?

Lastly is the 6M white knuckle (I mean who comes up with these names 😂) which has two elasticated tips of 8-10 and 18-20 and has the extra appeal of being take apart.

Doesn't have to be particularly good (just not a rip off/useless) as would be a very rarely used thing just figuring out what's what as to the idea of whip/short pole fishing. Any other recommendations would be welcomed as well if anything is hidden in stock anywhere. As to use if it's a lighter one it would be used for traditional silvers and if heavier for bream, chub and perch.

Dropon

You are not forced to put the listed elastics in the whip. 18/20 is as you know very strong. Rather defeats the purpose of a whip , in my opinion. I have a Team Daiwa whip with a spare number 2 section ,I put Drennan 4/6 in that just through the number 2 section , handy for good roach and skimmers, Like using the flick tip best.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You are not forced to put the listed elastics in the whip. 18/20 is as you know very strong. Rather defeats the purpose of a whip , in my opinion. I have a Team Daiwa whip with a spare number 2 section ,I put Drennan 4/6 in that just through the number 2 section , handy for good roach and skimmers, Like using the flick tip best.
Yeah the 18-20 would be replaced, I have no need to land a passing boat after all! Just be nice if one of the provided elastics could be at least useable if not entirely suitable (believe 8-10 would be for the chub,perch, bream?) whilst I figure out if I even like fishing that way before I set about the time and expense of fully kitting one out myself.

I'm planning on using the Garbolino flick tip I already have primarily but be nice to have an elasticated option as well. If I take to it I'll buy a better quality proper twin tip whip and rig up a flick tip and elasticated tip myself but I don't want to take the time and expense to do that initially in case it's not for me. Initially just thinking about it as something to play about with on canals and commercials until I can get back on rivers and more traditional lakes.

Lockdown boredom gets the mind cooking up things and all that 😅

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I have a 5m XL Technique elasticated telescopic whip that cost me a tenner - I replaced the bungee cord it came with and put in a #5 Preston Slip elastic.

Throughout the summer & autumn it’s accounted for a huge number of banked fish from river and lake - tiny bleak to 4lb carp all managed and its light enough for my 5yr old to use.

Had a quick look and a fair few kicking around cheap on various sites both new and secondhand - for an occasional use item I’d say they are more than worthy of a punt

Tristar

Site Supporter
I have two Middy battlezone whips that my children use. I think they cost around £25 each. They can stop busses. For the price they are great pieces of kit, my 10yr old lad has had many commercial Barbel and hard fighting carp to 12lb . I think the elastic is a 20 in one topkit and a 14 in the other. Great value and really strong.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
So got a 4m Garbolino flick tip whip for Christmas and been kind of half looking at maybe getting an elasticated whip/short pole to go with it and it seems the only ones of any brand I've ever heard of that are in stock are by middy (all ridiculously named as it happens 😂) so just interested to hear if anyone's used any of them and has any thoughts on them?

Cheapest is the 4M impact/battlezone which is no real risk at its price just suspicious at its lack of elastic rating so wondering if a time knows what it has?

Mid range is the the 5.5M baggin machine which has a flick tip and two elasticated tips so potentially handy but only states them as medium and heavy, I think something like 8-10 (useful) and 18-20 (useless) if anyone can confirm?

Lastly is the 6M white knuckle (I mean who comes up with these names 😂) which has two elasticated tips of 8-10 and 18-20 and has the extra appeal of being take apart.

Doesn't have to be particularly good (just not a rip off/useless) as would be a very rarely used thing just figuring out what's what as to the idea of whip/short pole fishing. Any other recommendations would be welcomed as well if anything is hidden in stock anywhere. As to use if it's a lighter one it would be used for traditional silvers and if heavier for bream, chub and perch.
The 6 metre white knuckle is not carbon,
You are correct on the elastic ratings,.
I bought one for the grandson some years ago before I got his yank n bank margin pole.
I changed the elastic in the mainly because I wanted adjuster bungs in them. As for handling big fish of 10lb plus down the side, they are ideal, also not bad for smaller fish with around 6 elastic in topkit. I wouldnt use them as a whip, due to their weight.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thanks everyone. Can probably discount the white knuckle then if that’s way more pole than whip. Will do some more digging on the others.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
if you require a good cheap whip, the daiwa range of speed whips are pretty good for the money

though they are not "system"whips which seems to be what you are looking for,

tele whips are not that good for elasticating,

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Also have a look at the Preston Innovations range, similar to Daiwa in that all telescopic.
I am using a 30+ year old Shakespeare bleak whip, 4.5 metre and packs down to around 60cm , even had the odd F1 on it.