Middle Level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan The Man

On my first ever pole fishing trip ( new shimano technium xta 13m ) to play with, i had a cracking morning catching of bream, tench and roach.
After catching my first pole caught roach i had a PB 3lb tench. At that point i would have gone home happy but no i had the best fishing day i have ever had.
Catching 4 more tench over 4lb and another PB of 5lb 12oz

Datafile11.jpg

Then came 4 bream to 3lb and some nice roach.

This is why i started fishing again after 14 years.

ashtheangler

Team tackletek
well done mate, what a way to get back in to the sport, cracking tinca also - nice one fella

G2LAndrew

Wandering Angler
Hi Dan, lovely Tench, well done on a good session. Where on the Middle Level were you fishing, anywhere near the Aqueduct at Nordelph? Do you ever fish the Well Creek down that end, you used to be able to catch some good Tench and Bream from there.

Dan The Man

The section of middle level was further up towards st germans end. he cut off at fordham is suposed to be fishing well for bream and tench.Had some bream out of wellcreek at the start of season. Do you still have to buy a ticket to fish north level at tydd.

G2LAndrew

Wandering Angler
Hi Dan, the north level at Tydd is on the Tydd book. I prefer the South Holland, thats on the Holbeach book. I gather the Little Holland at Sutton St James is also fishing well, that also is the Holbeach book. Let me know if you want more info.

martin.

Account Locked
The North level is fishing fairly well, in the Matches there are bream & tench showing in results although double figure nets of roach are coming out on hemp.

The Little Holland is producing some good carp nets at moment.

Well Creek is fishing very well for bream around nordelph village, a friend of mine has had 60lb+ nets
also a few tench & bream coming out of well creek at the Aquaduct at Outwell

spireitejohn

Are any of these venues you guys are talking about near denver/downham market ? me and a couple of mates are coming down for a weeks hol on saturday and i'd like to have a day or 2 catching bream and tench, other wise we'll probably end up at dents of hilgay each day
cheers

martin.

Account Locked
Originally posted by spireitejohn

Are any of these venues you guys are talking about near denver/downham market ? me and a couple of mates are coming down for a weeks hol on saturday and i'd like to have a day or 2 catching bream and tench, other wise we'll probably end up at dents of hilgay each day
cheers

yes just follow signposts for Wisbech After you cross R. Ouse coming out of Downham follow signs to Wisbech. Nordelph is the second village you come to, just as you get into village bridge on right over bridge & straight left (back along river side) you will soon see which pegs are used most.
Second venue
Aquaduct, Outwell, same directions aprt from carry on towards Wisbech instead of going over bridge at nordelph you will come to a Bridge on left directly before a bridge on mainroad & another bridge on left over mainroad bridge, Go over either of the bridges on left & there are permanant pegs either side of Aquaduct ( where Well Creek goes over Middle level.

another river fishing fairly well for bream, tench & roach is Cut off Channel at Hilgay, Its on K/Lynn book but you can get day tickets on bank.

I have a friend who fishes Nordelph regular ill see him tonight & find out best pegs at Nordelph to fish & post them in morning

Dan The Man

Hi martin, never fished the cut off at hilgay. coming from kings lynn way which side of the bridge is best to try. Not sure sure what the levels are like at the mo, might have a nip down there tommorrow for a peak. Is the nordelph section free fishing.

martin.

Account Locked
Originally posted by Dan The Man

Hi martin, never fished the cut off at hilgay. coming from kings lynn way which side of the bridge is best to try. Not sure sure what the levels are like at the mo, might have a nip down there tommorrow for a peak. Is the nordelph section free fishing.
normaly from downham i go over bridge turn left into car park & just walk over bank in front of you, but they can be either side of bridge, theres normaly someone down there most days it bwould pay to ask.
As for nordelph stretch ill find out tonight & post in morning.
i know that Well Creek at Aquaduct is free fishing

martin.

Account Locked
Forgot to say
i was in lynn this afternoon, called in Martins(anglers corner)for a few bits

G2LAndrew

Wandering Angler
Hi guys, If i was going to fish at Hilgay I would give Dents farm a go, the shop pond looks beautiful and is great fishing. The match lakes were producing big bags the last time I fished there a few years back.

The well Creek is free all the way to the lock gates in Upwell then it becomes the old Nene, not sure who has that, perhaps Wisbech?

Last edited:

martin.

Account Locked
Andrew there isnt a Wisbech Angling club now.

Your right it is all free, Even Nordelph.
the hot pegs at nordelph at moment are cross bridge go back towards D/Market way (opp side of river to Wisbech/D/Market road) you will come to comunity centre on right with small car park in front opp this through to end of road where turning point is.

According to todays lynn news best rivers on lynn book at moment is cut-off channel awhere there are mixed nets of 30 - 40lb
Hope this helps out

Last edited:

martin.

Account Locked
Originally posted by G2LAndrew

No Wisbech AC :O You turn your back for five minutes and... :D
Hasnt been for a few years now
Closest one is Tydd Gote AC

G2LAndrew

Wandering Angler
I left old Blighty 5 years ago and didnt really do very much fishing outside of the Sutton ST. James area for a number of years before that. I lived in Outwell from the age of 8 to the age of 16 so grew up on a diet of free fishing in the Well Creek, I think back then Sheffield AC had some of the Middle Level, do they still?

Back then one of one of the best swims on the Well Creek was through Nordelph on the way to Downham Market. Heading away from Outwell there is a private farm road on your left with a concrete sugar beat pad (the canal/well creek is on your right of course). We used to often fish here with good results.

I much prefer the Old Bedford of all the local water in that area, particularly at Cock Fen though Welney Hotel was also pretty good. Excellent sport with Tench, we often had fish to 5Lbs and over. Pisces at Welney was also a set of ponds I used to enjoy fishing, again some good sport with Tench as well as Carp. But going further a field I would rather fish the South Holland above most venues, especially at the Slip and Leesgate Bridge or where the Fleet Fen drain (AKA Coy drain) meets the South Holland (had my best perch and best bream catches at this venue) and incidentally one of my best Roach hauls from Fleet Fen drain where the boat launch goes in about 100 meters down.

Hope this helps to give you some more ideas Dan? Martin, I am now feeling hungry for that trip we talked about, think I need to start looking at flights :D

Last edited:

martin.

Account Locked
Andrew
there are some great roach nets coming out of several areas of well creek at moment
Also you dont seem to get as many comorants on here as other places do for some reason

Status
Not open for further replies.