Micros Coming Off The Method Feeder

OldTaff

Site Supporter
You could add Horlicks as mentioned, it works really well - when I’ve had issues with Sonu Stiki Method Pellets it’s usually because I under wetted the pellets.

Last couple of sessions if the pellets have played up (think I had a batch open for too long) I’ve added a little Sonu ‘Bait Booster‘ which makes the pellets wonderfully sticky and they sit on the feeder like a dream plus they release a scent trail that seems to trigger really fast response in carp.

CarpCatcher86

I should have also mentioned that the pellets were bought roughly three weeks ago and were opened a week ago. Since opening and using about a quarter of a bag, the rest have been sealed in an air tight container.
I'll either give horlicks or a sprinkling of groundbait a bash, either that or the Dynamite Baits sticky syrup.
Would adding a little oil such as the Dynamite Baits evolution oil I bought last week have the desired effect?
As for pellet soaking time, the description for the Dynamite Swim Stim sticky pellet syrup offers up these instructions.
Mix dry pellets with water. Drain after 45 seconds and leave for 5 minutes. Then add a good dousing of syrup to the pellets and mix it in thoroughly.
Pellets will bind but then break down quickly in the water.
I am guessing this means when using their own brand of pellets too.
So maybe the pellets I used were too wet or soaked for too long, or I didn't leave them for long enough before using them.
Thanks for all the advice so far guys (y)

Last edited:

Nicky Dodds

I've used pellets that were 8 years old maybe more that were stored in take-away tubs and had no problems with them following the 1 minute per mm guide. I wouldn't have thought using oil would be of any use when trying to bind anything porous together. My guess would be underwetting or incorrect use of the mould i.e. Not squeezing them hard enough.

alsur

Site Supporter
I very rarely have problems you sometimes have to adjust the time you soak pellets as batches do vary, I've never needed to resort to Horlicks or anything similar. I quite often add a small amount of ground pellet or fish meal groundbait.

I've also used old pellets without a problem.

CarpCatcher86

I very rarely have problems you sometimes have to adjust the time you soak pellets as batches do vary, I've never needed to resort to Horlicks or anything similar. I quite often add a small amount of ground pellet or fish meal groundbait.

I've also used old pellets without a problem.
What would you consider old?

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Liquid molasses, bought from animal feed store, 5ltrs for about a fiver. Used this for years, no problems

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
At the risk of repeating what I have written previously, so much 'information' given by anglers and angling magazines has not actually been tested by them - they repeat what has been perceived information for years. So it's great to see Matrix, yet again, get down to the nitty gritty of checking the facts.

CarpCatcher86

Taking everything in to consideration and regardless of how well prepared your pellets are, I'm guessing there is an optimum depth for method feeder fishing. Meaning if you are fishing in water over a certain depth, no matter how sticky your pellets are and how well they stick to the feeder, they will eventually break away from the feeder before hitting bottom.
Any thoughts guys?

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
Taking everything in to consideration and regardless of how well prepared your pellets are, I'm guessing there is an optimum depth for method feeder fishing. Meaning if you are fishing in water over a certain depth, no matter how sticky your pellets are and how well they stick to the feeder, they will eventually break away from the feeder before hitting bottom.
Any thoughts guys?
That’s why I only use a method feeder in shallow water, up to three feet deep. Prefer a pellet feeder for anything deeper.