Micro swivels

ckp82

Just lately I've been watching videos and reading articles on waggler fishing. A common approach now seems to be the use of a micro swivel to join a mainline to a hooklength.
My questions are
A) what size micro swivel would be best to use for this method of rig building?
B) will this work with a loaded waggler too or will the swivel be to heavy after attaching the locking shot, etc?
My fishing is very basic at the moment and I'm looking to build my knowledge, learn and improve.
Thanks in advance.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The size number varies between brands but any micro swivel without an extra ring will do and they weigh about the same as a number 8 or 10 shot depending on the brand
You would normally use them in flowing water or if you are casting more than 10 metres, less than that they are not necessary,keep it simple where you can.

ckp82

Thanks for the replies guys.
I shall pick up a pack and put them in my tackle box.
Thanks for the advice Ken, I now know when to use one and when not to.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I honestly cannot see how a swivel can work when using fine lines and finer hooklengths.
There has to be an element of torque in the line for the swivel to spin, it won't do it by itself, and the amount of torque in a fine hooklength will only result in the hooklength twisting if anything in my humble opinion.

It's a different matter when say using 0.21 plus, even more so when you get into the realms of 0.28> but no way would 0.17 or less spin a swivel

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Most swivels dont work under any load unless they are the ball bearing type.
The micro swivels work on hook lengths because there is no loading but you can enhance their operation by leaving a long tag on the top knot same as you would on the quick change type when feeder fishing.

ckp82

I guess i thought it was to give better presentation, prevent line twists and generally the modern way of tying rigs. I do fish 10+ metres out but not really flowing water. I don't use lines heavier than 0.18.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
I use micro swivels on a few of my set-ups for no other reason than to stop line twist when using certain baits such as whole dendras on finer line hook lengths.
Modern line seems to be more effected by twist these days and that I see as the trade off by the reduction in thickness.