Michael and the Masks

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Had cause to go into our small, just up the road Tesco mini mart type shop

needed to purchase a bunch of cut flowers, a compendium of puzzly tasks, and a box of guylian sea shell chocs for the impending visit to mother dearests by this prodigal son and a small black dog later this day, small treats for the old girl, that make her smile, so makes me smile to

grabbed a few essentials in the milk, bread and pie department and then wended my way to the pay station to exchange an electronic blip noise for them

One of my favourite ladies was on the other side of the perspex screen waiting to bag my purchases for me and our usual banter began, she is a very nice lady, a bit younger than me, a mother, lives just around the corner and also owns a small dog who we often see when the two of us are out awalkin the local area

my opening gambit, was "stick em up" to which she replied that she knew it was me behind the mask

chatting as the items were rung up, it got to, me asking about this, "I thought you had to wear a mask when you came in here to shop"

the reply was, we cant make you, and the manager has issued orders not to be confrontational about it, just serve the customers that havent got one on

this was because there was only a couple of punters in the shop, that I observed had used the supplied liquid hand disenfectant upon entering, and were wearing face coverings of any nature

what the hell is wrong with people ?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I read a classic today from an anti-masker - "My right to freedom does not end with your right to fear"

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've just been down to Toolstation and right at the front of the queue was someone I know, both him and his missus suffer from a multitude of ailments, including asthma and a heart condition. There hs was with another person and stood next to two Pakistani chaps all without masks - they walk amongst us.
I stayed in the truck until they'd moved on - I've had it but don't want to be the Guinea Pig to see if you can catch it twice or not

nomorelongwalks

Mark Spitz
Site Supporter
Went to the local bookies the other night to put a bet on, walked in the shop then remembered I didn't have a mask.
Apologised to the lady behind the counter, and stood arms length from the counter with my bet and cash.
She was ok and did take the bet, reminding me that next time to wear a mask.

Thing that got me was, she had a mask but was wearing it on the top of her head.
I was going to mention it to her, but seeing that she took the bet I couldn't be bothered.
PS, the horse lost :(

Last edited:

Sportsman

Site Supporter
It may well be true, that you cannot force anyone to wear a mask, but owners of premises can make it a condition of entry.
The problem is they don't want to be confrontational so they just ignore it.
I would not use a shop that didn't want to be confrontational with people who are a known potential risk to my life..
They need a Trogg like figure on every door to enforce policy, no mask, no entry. End of.

DFL

Site Supporter
I've had it but don't want to be the Guinea Pig to see if you can catch it twice or not

me too! I’m actually more fearful of the virus now than before I had it.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I only ever use two supermarkets - Morrisons for the yoghurt offer - and Aldi for just about everything else.

Prior to the wearing of facemasks becoming mandatory there were many in Morrisons wearing them anyway and practically none in Aldi.
But now for some odd reason it's almost 100% in Aldi and maybe 75% in Morrisons - even odder at Morrisons you've good some little urchin monitoring the queue (or lack of) plus a security guard and nothing is said - at Aldi they've got an automated traffic light system so you pass no members of staff upon entering.

At least social distancing in supermarkets isn't a problem anymore - locally at least - avoid the weekend and there's no queues to get in, no queues at the checkout or scrums around the Ooops Aisle. Friend of mine works at another supermarket chain and footfall is down about 20% - people aren't bothering to just 'pop in' to the supermarket anymore - an occasion when the bulk of impulse buys (and hence supermarket profits) are made. Most of the staff who were taken on during lock-down to replenish shelves and pack delivery orders have been finished and there's real fears that long standing full-time staff will be next.

Simon

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Just got back from the mother in laws ( Nottingham ) while I was there I nipped to a local shop for her some bits and pieces. I waited outside as someone was inside the shop but the door was open and I could see and hear what was going on. The person didn’t have a mask on but, when she got to the till she showed the shop assistant a green, white and yellow card from what I gather was ‘ hidden disability’s’ I guess these are something to do with the NHS ? I’m not sure. The shop assistant didn’t say ask her but the lady volunteered the card up. I personally wouldn’t say anything. It’s up to the individual in my eyes. No one made me the gaffer.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
More masks and the infection rate is on average rising. How the hell does that work ?

JayD

I wrote the other day about the strict, 'no mask, no entry' rules at the place where my son works. It was all working well when my son finished his shift on Saturday, but when he went back in on Monday he did his nut! He did a head count, and saw that there were at least 50% more than the allotted number in the store, and at least 25% weren't wearing masks. It seems that a customer got a bit aggressive towards the lad on the door, and as a result of that head office had relaxed the rules. My son looked round the store and saw that the number without masks, the increase in numbers, making social distancing impossible, and said he was getting his coat, and going home. It didn't feel like a safe environment, and he wasn't going to tolerate the increased risk of taking it home to his partner and kids. There was a meeting, and he was asked to work at the back of the store, while the area manager was contacted, and a solution arrived at. This is in a store that is just over the border from Kirklees where there has just been a partial lock down put in place for the last week. I don't know the situation within the store now, because I haven't heard from him since Tuesday.

John.

The Runner

Site Supporter
From what I've seen looks pretty much 100% compliance up here and haven't heard of any issues from any of the shops which all have notices saying "no mask, no entry" or similar. (Assume the knobhead I talked to a couple of weeks ago that I mentioned on another thread has his wife do all the shopping...)
Quite a number of people, mostly visitors, are masked up outside in the square and main street as well.
Bars (6 out of 8 reopened now) all seem to be doing things by the book. Haven't been in one yet myself and might be a while before I do , if only because you pretty much have to book a meal to get a table ( A bit like that in a normal summer here but with the locals all standing or propping up the bar which is obviously out at present)
A couple of the campsites apparently not fully open though so there's quite a few motorhomes and tents dotted around in not wholly ideal places. There were two tents along the coast path last week right next to the path and 100 yards past the "no camping" sign.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Been out and about in various shops {out of necessity} and so far it seems 99% of people are doing the right thing.

Sorry to hijack your thread Michael, bought some eggs this morning and as usual just left them on a kitchen worktop. I was
wondering because of this hot weather cupboard or fridge?

Spadger123

Right... At the risk of being called a racist, I'm not by the way, I've worked in the NHS for god knows how long and some of the best doctors and nurses, HCA'S and cleaners I've ever worked with have all been non nationals to put it one way.
But... has anyone noticed that the increase in Covid is happening predominantly in areas where there is a high population of ethnic minorities?
I'm sorry but it is, they live in large families in very small houses at times and often several people live in one room. they gather in large numbers so spreading is bound to happen.
As for hand sanitizer... I remember one surgeon saying to me a few years ago that hand sanitizer will be the death of the human race, it causes bacteria to mutate and become resistant to anti biotics, it does not kill the Covid germ and just puts a protective layer on the skin trapping the germs on the hand.
Soap and water is the only way to clean the hands properly.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I reckon its because of those on demos, those in pubs etc. Probably twice as much infection rate if no one wore them?
I’m thinking John that masks are giving people a false sense of security and that people generally are getting closer and closer when they talk to you. People in my area are either simply forgetting about Covid or simply can’t be bothered. The amount of anglers I have had approach me while fishing the Trent is ridiculous. It is what it is. There’s no hope.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Hand sanitiser will not cause resistance to antibiotics. It is antibiotics that cause resistance to antibiotics.
Using hand sanitiser could cause resistance to hand sanitiser.
Soap and water will clean the hands, but not necessarily kill bacteria.

Spadger123

Hand sanitiser will not cause resistance to antibiotics. It is antibiotics that cause resistance to antibiotics.
Using hand sanitiser could cause resistance to hand sanitiser.
Soap and water will clean the hands, but not necessarily kill bacteria.
I bow to your superior medical knowledge.
I'll pass it on when I attend the next Healthcare in Europe forum.
I quote... "Alcohol based hand sanitizers have been the mainstay in hospital hygiene for decades. But now strains of antibiotic-resistant bacteria are showing signs of overcoming these handwashing agents.
The bacteria are fighting back, new strains have an increased tolerance to alcohols in sanitizers, Enterococcus Faecium a notorious bacterial pathogen have emerged as 10 times more resistant to alcohol based hand rubs. Anywhere you repeat a procedure over and over again, be it in hospital or at home you are giving bacteria an opportunity to adapt.

That was taken from my notes from the Dr Tim Stinear lecture. Bacteria are adapting and mutating and in some cases have already mutated.
I'm sure he will sleep better now you have put his mind at rest.

Information also available on healthcare-in-Europe.com