Methods you won't fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

missabite

The wife got a shock when she came home and i hadn't gone on my usual Wednesday afternoon match. I wasn't too keen to go in heat but the deciding factor was that the candle was very likely to be the winning method. So i'll probably change plans now for a while.

At another venue the method is dangling just a piece of line and waiting for the pole to go over, that puts me off more than the candle.

So, do some methods that work best at some venues put you off going there or do you just fish anything?

Thom

i fish what i need to to win fairly [:)]

my only worry concerning methods is not knowing how to fish them properly for example the candle.

drynet

formerly drynet
Originally posted by metalforever

i fish what i need to to win fairly [:)]

my only worry concerning methods is not knowing how to fish them properly for example the candle.
and me

nico12

Grebe Grabber
i am more of a purist than i think. The floating pole is not my cup of tea for example.

I think it depends on your mind set - fish to complete / win.. or fish to enjoy and consider important sport' and ' fair play'.

Some match lads i talk to dont seem to 'love' the sport anymore, fishing is instead of the pub , or going to football - i feel sorry for some becuase the magic seems to have been lost in win ' at all costs'

midge99

I strangly find myself agreeing with metal on this on, Things like the method, floating pole etc are methods I don't like to use but if I have to I will if there is no other way.

I fished a match as a rider with a club the other month, they all had 20mtr of pole to float to the island, I opted for a simple maggot feed tight to the island and came fourth

bozzy

Candle? can somebody help please, search tells me little.

ada

brummie
bozzy ,the candle is just a piece of candle usually about 2 inch drilled with either elastic through it or drilled with a hollow sleeve in it and the line runs through it, it floats and a fair distance can be achieved,and when fish are on or near the surface if fished with a short hooklength, with pellet,bread and mixer it can be lethal but it has its critics and loathed by a lot of anglers i personally dont like it but on hot days it can take some beating

norm

Originally posted by missabite

The wife got a shock when she came home and i hadn't gone on my usual Wednesday afternoon match. I wasn't too keen to go in heat but the deciding factor was that the candle was very likely to be the winning method. So i'll probably change plans now for a while.

At another venue the method is dangling just a piece of line and waiting for the pole to go over, that puts me off more than the candle.

So, do some methods that work best at some venues put you off going there or do you just fish anything?

so why don't you try other things

you may be the one that comes up with the next winning tactic

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
I've been known to try a lot of methods to catch. At a match last year it was so ridiculously heavily stocked I ended up just dangling the line off the pole end and waiting for them to hook themselves. When I fed the surface boiled like a trout farm pool at pellet feeding time.

Thats not fishing to me. I dont explicitly rule anything out but the
'magic' of it is important to me.

A lot of match fishing misses something for me, there is no 'soul' to it. No appreciation of anything but bagging and dumping fish in the net, a means to an end. Thats probably why I only fish a few matches.

Much happier watching /working a float.

I heard a well know angler and journalist say recently that a lot of modern angling methods are trapping rather than fishing and I agree with that. If you can cast a bait out and do something else untill you're prompted that a fish is hooked what else can it be ?

So.. its those 'trapping' methods I try to avoid, not completely, but mostly avoid. It's not what fishings about for me.

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
I've been known to try a lot of methods to catch. At a match last year it was so ridiculously heavily stocked I ended up just dangling the line off the pole end and waiting for them to hook themselves. When I fed the surface boiled like a trout farm pool at pellet feeding time.

Thats not fishing to me. I dont explicitly rule anything out but the
'magic' of it is important to me.

A lot of match fishing misses something for me, there is no 'soul' to it. No appreciation of anything but bagging and dumping fish in the net, a means to an end. Thats probably why I only fish a few matches.

Much happier watching /working a float.

I heard a well know angler and journalist say recently that a lot of modern angling methods are trapping rather than fishing and I agree with that. If you can cast a bait out and do something else untill you're prompted that a fish is hooked what else can it be ?

So.. its those 'trapping' methods I try to avoid, not completely, but mostly avoid. It's not what fishings about for me.

Steve Beavan

I remember being ostricised as a teenager by a certain club for using a 'cheating-stick'; ie a pole!

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Tiger, i agree with you on this one, although i do feel inclined to give the Pole ago this year if possible, i love the feeling of casting, catching and playing a good fish at distance, just feels like im doing something rather than hook and retrieve (although they are the same thing, just different methods)

Benji

Account Locked
Anything that requires a buzzer, I refuse to employ electronics in my fishing. No batteries required.

missabite

Originally posted by norm
so why don't you try other things

you may be the one that comes up with the next winning tactic

I don't give up easy norm. Unfortunately it's one of them places where the carp are big and when it is hot and sunny they just sit on the top, this makes the lake go clear and pushes all the fish well out. You'd think the pellet waggler would be effective, but for some reason it doesnt work too well, yet throw the candle out and it is devastating.

newies_maggots

i wont fly fish........

i wont sea fish........ well in this country anyway.

apart from that i will give anything a go.

ive not got onto the method yet.

scott_y

i think confidence has alot to do with what mehtods we fish,
im not a match fisherman and i've only been fishing with a pole for just over a year and for some reason i never fish shallow i always fish on the deck,it's where i feel confident that i'll catch.
Got to get my head round it and give it a go lol

barders

I avoid the floating pole like the plague.

Use to avoid catmeat fishing IN the reeds using drag-em-out tactics till I spoke to Mark Pollard and he explained how he fished it, avoiding fish damage, now prepared to give it a try.

ianthefish2000

I must agree with tiger on this one, I fish both summer and winter leagues on carp puddles (speed fishing). IMO the only enjoyable part about this type of fishing is the pub after for the payout.
Roll on the 16th June and we can get back to the art of fishing, running a stick float down a glide for who knows what maybe a roach, dace, chub or even a barble. Then the magic will be back for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.