Methods landing right way up

martin22

Site Supporter
On Monday I was fishing an old reservoir near me it’s about 8ft in the middle,twice I hit a snag but on the 2nd time I managed to retrieve the feeder,
I noticed when I got it back there were 2 scuff marks on top of the feeder which has got me thinking had the feeders landed upside down or has it just got wedged under a rock? When I’m retrieving I allways basically strike to lift the feeder off the bottom then wind the feeder in through the water rather than drag it along the bottom,I’d also had a chuck about with a bomb first thing to find a clear bottom and was useing a 30g method to combat any wind/tow,anyone have any thoughts? Like I say I’m guessing it got wedged under a rock but now I have a bit of doubt in my head that the feeders had landed the right way up
Excuse my fingers I’m a fabricator and only just got in from work when I took the pic D22F672A-ADB1-4951-9F8B-8200473E3D12.jpeg

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It will be damage from being trapped by the rock. It would be nigh on impossible to damage a feeder just by pulling it along a lake bed bearing in mind there will always be some lift and the water itself will act as a lubricant.

martin22

Site Supporter
That’s what I’m thinking Dave if there’s a rock slightly lifted on one side the feeders got wedged under it,looking at the scuff the worst is on the left side but on the inside of the ring and those rings are angled out slightly so even it was upside down it shouldn’t be able to hook up on a rock edge
Strange though as I’d dragged a bomb about in that area and found it pretty smooth must have been a rogue rock I’d unluckily snagged twice ?‍♂️

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Just experiment by dropping a loaded feeder into a bucket of water and see which way it lands. In 8 foot I suspect there is no way it will land upside down.

This video shows that feeders will land the right way up in less than 8ft.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I'd say a rock, or maybe some other bit of dotritis that's sticking up a bit from the res bottom. It's possible the bomb didn't connect with it because a bomb is a different shape. If you hit it twice with the method though it shows one thing...accuracy.

Maverick

Site Supporter
In 8ft of water I doubt there would be much if any bait left on the feeder by the time it hit the bottom.
Try a pellet feeder or a hybrid feeder, that way your bait will stay on and as they have no bars on them it will reduce the chances of it snagging into something, during the retrieve.

commieboy257

Account Locked
I have to say I much prefer a pellet feeder over method, you're pretty much guaranteed delivery of your pellets and bait regardless of where or how hard you chuck the damned thing in.

rudd

Site Supporter
I'd say a rock, or maybe some other bit of dotritis that's sticking up a bit from the res bottom. It's possible the bomb didn't connect with it because a bomb is a different shape. If you hit it twice with the method though it shows one thing...accuracy.
Or not as onky hit same spot twice ???

Line Clip

In 8ft of water I doubt there would be much if any bait left on the feeder by the time it hit the bottom.
Try a pellet feeder or a hybrid feeder, that way your bait will stay on and as they have no bars on them it will reduce the chances of it snagging into something, during the retrieve.

martin22

Site Supporter
Cheers fellas,I assure you the groundbait is still on at 8ft if mixed properly I’ve spent spent plenty of time trying different mixes in the garage at home and at the start of any session I allways drop a loaded feeder into the margin or bait tub and time it’s breakdown
Regards to the pellet feeder I do use them but there wise fish in here,I’ve found you’ll get a few bites then it’ll quiten off so by changing between small method,pellet feeder and bomb you can usually keep a few bites coming in

Line Clip

Watched on You Tube Preston's Des Ship Q and A with Joe last night ,question came up about Feeders, and Bombs landing on the lake bed, Des said under water films are misleading, and he could keep the bait and pellets or ground-bait on the method feeder all the way to the lake bed, by the way they are prepared no problem, and also the hook length, not landing in a pile by your bomb as he says these things can be rectified by the angler,
Worth watching very down to earth explanations, by both episode 10