Method vs Cage in Winter

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've been fishing a cage feeder on a couple of local 'commies' this winter with different groundbait mixes and not done too badly for the temperatures.

What I'm wondering is, do you prefer a Method or other type of feeder in these colder months? I'm out tomorrow and going to be fishing a cage feeder, already wondering whether a method feeder might be more deadly?

My reason for choosing a cage feeder is it can pick off silvers which I imagine would have less finesse on the method. Maybe it's cold enough I should be using a bomb instead!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
A small open end feeder will give you more options than a method. Chopped worm, maggot, caster etc. can all be used if you plug either end with groundbait.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Depends on what you are fishing for. My first choice for carp when colder is the pellet feeder. Other than for skimmers/bream no the Method would not be my weapon of choice for silvers.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I tend to stick to an ordinary cage feeder for silvers, but recently I've had just as much success with in line ones. I've started using pellet feeders for carp as I find that in colder weather the bait disperses better than using a straight forward method/hybrid. In commercials I've found it more likely for F1s and carp to show up using pellets, but don't forget the trusty old maggot! They can come into their own in winter for carp too (and pretty much anything else )

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've been fishing for F1s and small carp (when they're feeding). First time using an open end cage feeder I had 35 F1s (not bad for a cold day) using some Sensas Lake and Sonubaits Bream groundbait I'd frozen from a Bream session. Next time I went I bought some Sonubaits Fishmeal F1 groundbait and it turned out the F1s weren't feeding so I only caught silvers! Even though no silvers had shown at all when I was catching F1s. The F1s must have dominated the feeding the previous time. Third time I went, I caught a mix of silvers and F1s using the F1 groundbait.

I have been warned against using too fishmealy groundbait in Winter due to the food content. New venue for cage feeder fishing tomorrow with a similar stock but also some big Bream so I'll see how I get on, have only fished it previously on pole.

Tea bags are an option but I like using low food content groundbait and controlling what I put in through the feeder, in this case half a pint of pinkies and a dusting of maggots.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Will be maggot on the hook tomorrow. If I get 20lb I'll be happy just as long as the tip moves a bit.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Open end feeder. It'll catch anything that swims. Dont dismiss this feeder just because it isnt ' fashionable ' ?
Still got some. Just haven't got around to trying them again them on commercials recently. I think they work a dream on rivers, and my old trusty method for those was making a sandwich with maggot/worm/casters in the middle using groundbait as the bread

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm using Guru Distance cage feeders at the moment. Maybe not the most ideal for a short chuck but do the job. guru.jpg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Nope all been fine but only using them this year I've probably used each feeder about 5 times at the most. Can see how they might go eventually or if you got them snagged.

Nicky Dodds

Keep an eye on where the loop enters the moulding. The nylon will start going white and fatigued. When they snap on the cast they go sideways lol. Other than that I quite like them. They can be reclaimed if you catch them before they snap. Thick mono and some crimps and a tiny hole drilled in each side.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Never tried it on a Stillwater but my standard feeder approach on most rivers is a couple or so casts with a big open end feeder packed tightly with ground bait and a few maggots to start a bit of a bed then maggot feeder for the rest of the session with 1/2 ground bait, 1/4 hemp and 1/4 maggots. It is an effective way of stopping much feedcoming out on the way down and theoretically deposits the feeder fairly tight to the hook.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
The Old Drennan round wire cage feeders are my go to in winter

from the tiny 3 square up to the 5

(by the way, if anybody has any that they dont use, Id be happy to exchange them for cash your way)

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
I've always heard small offerings in winter, no more than a mouthful.

So for me it would have to be popped up bread or a very small hybrid feeder with a fluoro wafter.