Method rod choice help

turnpike

After deciding I want a 10' method feeder rod I've narrowed it down to these with rough costs. Can anyone tell me if the combo options are worth it or will I be much happier with the performance of a more expensive rod and a daiwa ninja reel?

I'm assuming any feeder rod will do for 30g feeders and short casts and that I don't need it to specifically say "method".

Thanks!

Middy 5G Method Feeder 10ft Rod £89 + Daiwa Ninja Reel £50 = £149
Maver Reality Feeder Rod 10ft £55 + Daiwa Ninja Reel £50 = £105
Maver Reality 10ft Feeder + 3000 reel Combo Kit CK165 £69
Cadence CC5 10ft Feeder Fishing Rod and Reel Combo £69

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Seeing as the cadence combo has the CS5 reel, which will cost you £55 on its own (inc P&P) , the rod is effectively costing you £14. I don't know what the quality of the rod is like, or the reel, but people rate the reels. If you got it, and find you don't like the rod, you will still be left with a fairly good reel, and most likely get your money back, and more, selling the rod on its own. I would think a method rod would have a slightly more forgiving action to counteract the usually savage bites, I may of course, be wrong.

turnpike

Yeah that is a good deal. I've never heard of cadence but if the reels get decent reviews might be worth a try.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I use a 12’ twin tip feeder rod rather than a dedicated method rod (Ron Thompson Panther) and I like the flexibility it offers plus it has a very forgiving through action.

Always tricky when you have lots of options.

turnpike

Yeah I'm tempted to pay more for something with "method" in the name as that's what I'm planning to do and I don't really understand the difference between that and just a "feeder" rod. The ones I've seen with "method" in them seem to have lower casting weights.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
My mate has got the Cadence combo, and l dont rate it at all. I have three Cadence rods, and four cs8 reels that l rate highly for medium priced reels. The cs5 reels are not robust enough in my opinion for method work.
My go to 10ft method rod is a Preston carbonactive mini carp rod.

turnpike

I've bought a Drennan Red Range Method 10' rod for £60. As I found one on ebay and the jury is still out over the more expensive vertex.
I'm a bit bored of Drennan as that's what my poles are but it has good reviews and it looks easy to get spare tips.

Will pick up a Daiwa Ninja 3000 Reel.

Thanks all.

Paul.P

If you don't mind paying the extra, get the tricast excellence 10' method feeder, brilliant rod.

turnpike

Looks good but probably a bit too much for my first ever method rod. Cheers will keep it in mind if I ever upgrade.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Preston supera sl 10ft is a very nice light feeder rod.
Glad there is a replacement for my carbonactives