METHOD MOULD

Status
Not open for further replies.

stikflote

Site Supporter
How do you get the ground bait or pellet mix right, to use in these moulds, ive got the garbo mould

but never managed to get mix right, ,help please

sy69

Team Lunchbox
Youre not alone stikflote i aint managed to get it right either yet.

petert

I can get it right sometimes and not right sometimes it is just trial and error. I use 2/3 pellets and 1/3 groundbait. You should use a method mix to get it right with 2mm pellets.Always take some dry mix in case you get it sticky.
Sometimes I use cling film in the mould if is is a bit sticky

Last edited:

andy_martin

The artist formerly known as...
Try the Sonubaits mathod mix.
Just add a 2 pint tub of water to each bag, mix, riddle and leave for 20 mins. It gives you the perfect consistency you look for when fishing the method. Binds easily with 1 squeeze yet crumbles easily.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Same as Djandy, get yourself a method mix and follow the instructions. With a method feeder you want it quite wet so that it doesn't explode as it hits the water. With pellets just soak them, they say for 1 minute per millimeter, if you have problems with pellets not sticking try puttig a bit of soya flour in with them.

nobby478

miserable old ....
Is the mix crumbling as you remove it from the mould?

I think I saw a named angler wet the inside first to prevent this. Drop of cod-liver oil might do the trick[;)]

paulod

Site Supporter
I know this might be stating the obvious, but have you tried just putting the mix directly on the feeder? i.e. not using a mould at all? I find the moulds are more trouble than they're worth. You don't end up with the neat work of art that the mould gives, but it's much easier to press the groundbait in by squeezing it like you would making a normal ball single-handedly. If the groundbait still won't grip the feeder after a really good squeeze it's too dry. [:W]

jase72

[:T]I watched a top matchman have the same probs with the garb mould........all he did to cure the prob was to put a bit of plastic sandwitch bag in before his mix then pressed.....sorted every time....[:T]

pole addict

I use preston feeders and mould.
The groundbait is easy to mix, slightly wetter than for cage feeder.

Pellets can be tricky because they all seem to react differently to soaking times.

My advice would be to stick to one type of pellet in maybe 2 sizes, micro and 2 or 3 mm and experiment till you get it right.

I tried the soak and leave and they were too wet. Tried the soak for 1min per mm, drain almost all the water off and then left them for 15 mins, they turned out fine.

tab

use the sandwich bag idea as per jase72 comments, I have being using this for a while and works with all grounbait mixes except for sloppy...

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ive had both the preston and garbo method moulds, the flat bed feeder ones, large and small.

though it pains me dreadfully to admit it, the preston mould and feeders are by far the better of the two, I now use the preston in-line running feeders not fixed ones

Ive chucked the garbo one in the back of the cupboard, its that bad, Ive used the same mix on both feeders and the preston has released smoothly, whereas the garbo would stick and crumble,

a few tips though which where told to me by a well known top method man,

1, always mix your groundbait the night before, mix as normal, then wait for half hour and check the consistency of the mix, add water if required, riddle the feed at least twice, not so much to remove lumps but to aireate the mix so it fluffs up nice,

2, if your using micros, fill the baitbox with water to just cover the micros and leave em, do this as soon as you get to the peg, by the time your ready for the first chuck, they will be too

3, when filling the mould, put the hookbait in first, then three quarters fill the mould, and press the feeder into it, with the preston mould, tap the sides a couple of times then press the release button, just hold the mould, let the feeder fall into your GB bowl-bucket, then refill the mould and put the feeder in it again, press down hard, TAP THE SIDES as before then press the button, letting it fall into your palm this time

Sorted, A properly loaded feeder, the double fill and squeeze wiil gaurantee that theres feed on the rig when it hits bottom, the first layer of feed might come off as it hits the surface but the hookbait will be on top of the next layer ready for the fishys to wrap the tip round

theres no need to strike, 90% of the fish will hook themselves, if your missing the wraps, try upping the feeder to the next weight size, eg from 15 to 30 gramme, it just helps as more of a bolt effect

of course you do realize this advice is comming from the maggotdrowners plonker of the year 2010, so it could all be ****** really [:eek:)][:D]

Last edited:

BAG UP

SINGLE RED
I don't actualy use these moulds,saying that i don't even use those feeders, but the easy way is to coat the mould with a dry groundbait before adding your mix then your feeder, it will cover out everytime [;)]

BAG UP

SINGLE RED
Originally posted by BAG UP

I don't actualy use these moulds,saying that i don't even use those feeders, but the easy way is to coat the mould with a dry groundbait before adding your mix then your feeder, it will come out everytime [;)]

JohnJacko

On ocassions i have had the same problem but i think i have cracked how to get the pellets to stick every time. This done on the day. Soak 2mm pellets until they have aborbed the water and got soft enough to squash them completly. Drain all the water out as well as possible. Small goldfish nets are good for this. If there too damp thet wont mould properly so all i do is add a small bit of groundbait to absorbs some of the extra water. Throughout the day it will get a lot better as it will dry itself.

Also if preparing a mix the night before and the mix consissting of both pellets and ground bait you can add an egg to mix to help it bind and make it more sticky.

supersuperleeds

Originally posted by Paul od

I know this might be stating the obvious, but have you tried just putting the mix directly on the feeder? i.e. not using a mould at all? I find the moulds are more trouble than they're worth. You don't end up with the neat work of art that the mould gives, but it's much easier to press the groundbait in by squeezing it like you would making a normal ball single-handedly. If the groundbait still won't grip the feeder after a really good squeeze it's too dry. [:W]

I used to think that until I got the mould working properly. By using the mould you get the exact same weight every time and more importantly you hook bait is right at the top as opposed to buried in the feed.

bream dreamer

Mick the chippy a top method man told you this ?? "the first layer of feed might come off as it hits the surface" !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.