Method Feeder

Sad Teacher

Hi All

Looking for some advice. I read today in a fishing magazine that to cast a 30gm method feeder I should have at least a 2lb test curve rod they use the phrase any sort of distance tho, to date that has set me thinking. I read some other web sites and they say something similar. I have to say I use a 30gm feeder rod and that's ok and I use a 1.0lb rod and that's more than ok. I'm guessing a fully loaded 30gm feeder is may be 50gm?? I'm only casting 30 metres tho!! I don't think I'm abusing the rod what do you guys think

mbuna_matt

Not sure what my short feeder rods are (Drennan 9' plus / Browning 8' commercial king wand ) in terms of t/c but I suspect they aren't 2lb and I'll use a 30gm feeder for a reasonable 20m+ chuck - no problem

satinet

Site Supporter
I think you should stop reading that magazine.

First off the 'test curve' of a feeder rod is the rating of the quiver tip. That's what it takes to put a 90 degree bend in the rod which is all it means.

A 2lb carp type rod is much stronger that most feeder rods. No problem using it but it's not necessary for a 30g feeder.

Look at the rating on the feeder rod or of it's a carp rod I would think any reasonable carp rod would hardly feel 30 to 50g.

I wouldn't think twice about using a 30g feeder on anything other than a wand/picker type rod at 30 yards (or obviously a match rod etc!).

Last edited:

Sad Teacher

To be honest that's my experience. Thinking about it same mag last month was casting 50gm maggot feeders on a 1.25 Korum all rounder.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Feeder rods usually have the casting weight in grams and are more of a guide than an absolute.

I can cast a 30g x-large loaded method feeder 40yds with my 40g rated 10ft rod and i'm pretty sure that feeder is nearing 50-60g when loaded with wet pellets.

Depends how much effort you put into the cast really, try and be sensible and not really punch it too much if you go over the weight rating.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I was using a Preston 10’ mini carp feeder rod to cast a loaded 28g hybrid feeder last week on one of our club waters with ease. You DO NOT need a 2lb TC carp rod to throw a 30g feeder that’s for sure. What a silly thing to put in a magazine. 🤷‍♂️

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Hi All

Looking for some advice. I read today in a fishing magazine that to cast a 30gm method feeder I should have at least a 2lb test curve rod they use the phrase any sort of distance tho, to date that has set me thinking. I read some other web sites and they say something similar. I have to say I use a 30gm feeder rod and that's ok and I use a 1.0lb rod and that's more than ok. I'm guessing a fully loaded 30gm feeder is may be 50gm?? I'm only casting 30 metres tho!! I don't think I'm abusing the rod what do you guys think
Unless you're loading the feeder with molten lead, I think thats a load of rowlocks from the magazine.

Obviously it depends on a variety of other factors, but I've been happily casting a 30gm hybrid out for nearly 3 years now on a rod that probably has about a 1lb tc. 2lb tc is a moderate-heavy barbel rod and years ago, it would have been a heavy carp rod!

Also depends on what you call "distance". We're not beach casting afterall. If it's so far away, surely you'd be looking at shock leaders and so on at that point?

I am, as always, open to being educated by the more angling minded.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Unless you're loading the feeder with molten lead, I think thats a load of rowlocks from the magazine.

Obviously it depends on a variety of other factors, but I've been happily casting a 30gm hybrid out for nearly 3 years now on a rod that probably has about a 1lb tc. 2lb tc is a moderate-heavy barbel rod and years ago, it would have been a heavy carp rod!

Also depends on what you call "distance". We're not beach casting afterall. If it's so far away, surely you'd be looking at shock leaders and so on at that point?

I am, as always, open to being educated by the more angling minded.
I’ve told this story before but, talking about fishing at distance …. 🤣🤣 …..

I’m fishing our local Aire & Calder canal at Great Heck and it’s around 32m wide. I’m clipped up at 27m and I’ve just cast as a lady walks past walking her dog. She sees me cast my feeder in and watches it go across the canal. As I place the rod on the rest she says to me ……. “ If the fish are over there why don’t you just go and fish the other side ? “. 🤣🤣. I’d no come back to that. I was chuckling to myself all day after that. I thought ….. Why don’t I go around the other side. 🙄🤣🤣

MartinWY

Site Supporter
I’ve told this story before but, talking about fishing at distance …. 🤣🤣 …..

I’m fishing our local Aire & Calder canal at Great Heck and it’s around 32m wide. I’m clipped up at 27m and I’ve just cast as a lady walks past walking her dog. She sees me cast my feeder in and watches it go across the canal. As I place the rod on the rest she says to me ……. “ If the fish are over there why don’t you just go and fish the other side ? “. 🤣🤣. I’d no come back to that. I was chuckling to myself all day after that. I thought ….. Why don’t I go around the other side. 🙄🤣🤣
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Using a Ron Thompson 12’ feeder rod - not a clue what the TC is but it’s got a 1oz quiver tip in and throws a loaded 30g method all day long without batting an eyelid and has hauled out carp to 14lb to date on 7lb line.

I think a lot of these articles don't bear up to close scrutiny on the real world.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I have the 10' TFG Coomercial tip rod (well, 2 of them) and with the 2oz tip fitted, chucking a fully loaded 30gm method feeder 40+ yards is easy, the rod just laughs at it. You didn't mention which magazine you were reading, but to me, you need to cut it up into handy size squares, then hang it on the bog wall in case of emergencies.

satinet

Site Supporter
Using a Ron Thompson 12’ feeder rod - not a clue what the TC is but it’s got a 1oz quiver tip in and throws a loaded 30g method all day long without batting an eyelid and has hauled out carp to 14lb to date on 7lb line.

I think a lot of these articles don't bear up to close scrutiny on the real world.
The TC is one ounce!

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Fairly typical of me that I have no idea what TC my feeder rods are. What I know is that my 12ft Grandeslam Carbo Feeder rod (marked OK for lines 4-8lb) casts a 20g feeder 35 yards with no effort. I see no need for 30g for 30 yards.

I don't get hung up on the technical stuff, I just fish.

satinet

Site Supporter
Fairly typical of me that I have no idea what TC my feeder rods are. What I know is that my 12ft Grandeslam Carbo Feeder rod (marked OK for lines 4-8lb) casts a 20g feeder 35 yards with no effort. I see no need for 30g for 30 yards.

I don't get hung up on the technical stuff, I just fish.
The TC is the rating of the tip. 1oz tip bends 90 degrees with one ounce of weight. That's all test curve is. Not very meaningful really imho.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have a 1.25lb test curve Twin Tip rod with 2, 2.5, and 3oz tips so maybe the TC only applies to the Avon top in that case.