method feeder with popped up hookbaits

Status
Not open for further replies.

pole addict

Never tried it but it sounds promising.

A couple of things spring to mind.....

I think you would need a VERY short hooklength.
The theory of the method feeder is that the fish attack the feeder and suck in your hookbait as they gorge on the pellets/grounbait around the feeder.

A standard 4" hooklength would mean the bait is 4" above the feeder.
Too high I reckon. 2" would be better.

But what do I know [;)].

Give it a bash and then tell us how you get on. [:T]

svenc

London Blanker NOT
Thats just complicating things. Just use corn on the hook with a 2" hooklength. Job done. No risk of tangles or trapping the boilie.

BAG UP

SINGLE RED
You can of course use a popped up bait when fishing the method, there's no rules saying you can't, what i would do is use a 4" hooklenght ,place a small shot that will hold the bait down (check this in the margins or in a spare bait box full of water )around an 1" below the hook, bury the hook bait in the groundbait and cover, once the groundbait has broken from the feeder the pop up should sit in the middle of the pile of feed 1" above it, highlighting it's self [:T]

fish finder

callum
i did it today and caught plenty of carp, i had a bit of pop-up corn on a 4-5 inch hooklink, between the bait on the hair and the hook i put a number 8 and a number 9 shot and this made the hook be on the bootom but the corn was about 1cm off the bootom.this way the fish take your bait usually first

Nick_D22

This does seem like a good idea, perhaps a really fast breakdown method mix will leave lots of particles drifting through the water.And........literally eureka moment...........Once you've moulded your method ball dip it in some of that Got Baits Atomic powder, then you'd get a cloud of colour and smell with a tasty treat slowly floating up through it.Going to try this definitely.Why didn't i think of that before? Perhaps i haven't thought of it before means it's not a good idea?What do you think mates?

fish finder

callum
Originally posted by Nick_D22

This does seem like a good idea, perhaps a really fast breakdown method mix will leave lots of particles drifting through the water.And........literally eureka moment...........Once you've moulded your method ball dip it in some of that Got Baits Atomic powder, then you'd get a cloud of colour and smell with a tasty treat slowly floating up through it.Going to try this definitely.Why didn't i think of that before? Perhaps i haven't thought of it before means it's not a good idea?What do you think mates?
i think its definitly work[:T]

greentura

Greenie
done it with a critically balanced hook bait, seemed to work and fish all hooked in the bottom lip[:T]

Simon R

Site Supporter
On my local club water (which I'll be fishing when it reopens on Monday) for the last three years I've had the majority of my fish on two grains of plastic, floating corn on a six inch hooklength.

I do use a large method feeder with a ball of fairly stiff groundbait moulded around it and the hookbait buried right in the middle. I use an active groundbait (plenty of ground hemp) and include a few floating pellets in the mix.
Basically I want lots of activity from the method ball which attracts fish - they attack what's left of the groundbait and the plastic corn suddenly pops out of the ball and they grab it before it 'gets away'.

Works for tench, bream and carp on my club water[:D]
I'll let you know in a day or two how successful it is this year.

Simon

cant win

Originally posted by greentura

done it with a critically balanced hook bait, seemed to work and fish all hooked in the bottom lip[:T]

i use a 6-8" hooklength with a qm1 guru hook and its funny how all my fish are hooked in in the lower mouth.

now carpmagic will answer this hopefully the shorter the hooklengh will it be in the top.[?]a lot of anglers keep saying my method rig hook tail is to long..mmmm i keep catching what does it matter.

greentura

Greenie
as i understand it the hook hangs down under the bait on the hair even with the neutral buoyancy and as the fish tries to blow it out it catches the bottom lip, also helps that i use a inch of shrink tube to make a 'bent hook' type rig and have the hair coming from the eye not the bend, bit like a 'KD' rig but without the shot below the bait, instead i use a large pop up fake corn with another sinking fake corn below it, or, a wafter 16mm boilie [:T] or whatever gets the desired affect, rig foam and maize is another i tried[:T]

Genus9

When I first started fishing the method in the early 90's the killing method was popped up maggots and this worked extremly well,

It was simple enough to do as well,

We used to cut a small hole in the top of a baitbox lid, put a couple of handfulls of maggots in it and just cover them with water,

After a while they would float and putting 2 on the hook left the bait popped up beside the feeder,

This worked so I should think other popped up baits should. [:)]

A 4 inch hooklength was the length that seemed the best.

rodring

Account Locked
isn't there a rule about artificial baits in matches?.

Hatchye

Try small marshmallows, they are bright (pink or white) seep sugar and float really well, they are around 10mm size so will catch you just about anything[:T] You can get 'em in Morrisons

gazza1967

Marshmallows? now theres something i never thought of, i might give that one a try! I used a few bakers complete meaty chunks from my dogs bowl the other week as a pop up and i had a bite a chuck with the method feeder. They float for about 15 mins then sink landing on top of the method, very effective.

jcbarbel

i have been using the guru pellet and method feeders in the last couple of month with a 2 inch hooklength and pop ups (boiles & marshmallow) and even maggots pumped which makes them float, had mega sucess!!!!!!! top method

bign

I've used maggots popped up on the method for years and caught well on them

greentura

Greenie
Originally posted by rodring

isn't there a rule about artificial baits in matches?.
who said anything about matches[?] but no, you cant use fake bait in a match.

used that maggot trick from early 80's to counter balance the weight of the hook while float fishing and also for bream with swing tips, still do and always keep a drennan 2 pint box lid with a hole in it in the bag[:T] one of the most under used methods these days[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.