Method feeder thoughts?

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
But it's all about experimenting, and not doing the same thing al the while, like fishing a wafter all the time?
Rick you are missing the main point. It's actually about feeding it correctly so that the fish are feeding confidently and competing for the feed. After that it's a case of keeping them there by adjusting your feeding to suit.

The hook bait is a very minor part of the equation at this time of year on commercials and if you feed it correctly, you can catch on a bare hook which is one of the points Jamie makes in his video.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Don't condemn the method, but if it is the method itself they have wised up to then another 'method' is needed.
Have to find those conditions where the fish are happiest feeding on the bottom first and can be a funny time of year for that.

There are things you can to try and encourage them down when they are near, but off bottom. An unsoaked expander wafts well and wafts better than a wafter and also do the mix the night before to ensure it can't be hoovered up to easily.

Stick to a rough rule of pellet in the cooler months and groundbait in the warmer months and mixtures of both in the in between months can help.

If bites are slow anytime, firing a couple of pellets over the top can help a bite, as can a dab of goo.

It is a tactic seen as easy by some, i have only ever felt yes it is in terms of set up simplicity, but in terms of remembering you are depositing feed each time, then rule number 1 feeding comes into play, which needs gauging with amounts and regularity.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Similar weight to the old 1oz bomb and we used to hold bottom on the Trent with those mate😀
We did pal. And I bet you’ve hammered a few one once leads flat in your time haven’t you Dave ? 🤣👍

I got good at catching eels on a straight lead on the Trent while everyone around me were catching chub I know that. 🙄. The river was riddled with them in those days. Hardly hear of one now. Shame. 😩

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
We did pal. And I bet you’ve hammered a few one once leads flat in your time haven’t you Dave ? 🤣👍

I got good at catching eels on a straight lead on the Trent while everyone around me were catching chub I know that. 🙄. The river was riddled with them in those days. Hardly hear of one now. Shame. 😩
My first experience with a hammer mate, was flattening leads. Some of the Trent lads could work miracles with leads that were seemingly far too light for the conditions, real masters of their craft.

I only ever caught one eel in the Trent, about 4oz, never saw another. Unlike the Witham and the Lincs drains.

Total

Site Supporter

Good evening "Sir Michael of Tipitin" ;) :love:(y)

Total

Site Supporter
...........There are things you can to try and encourage them down when they are near, but off bottom. An unsoaked expander wafts well and wafts better than a wafter and also do the mix the night before to ensure it can't be hoovered up to easily......
An expander or pop up when using the method feeder is an absolute disaster to use and encourages foul hooking and lost fish/rigs......Avoid at all costs....

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
My first experience with a hammer mate, was flattening leads. Some of the Trent lads could work miracles with leads that were seemingly far too light for the conditions, real masters of their craft.

I only ever caught one eel in the Trent, about 4oz, never saw another. Unlike the Witham and the Lincs drains.
Caught most of them on the Tidal Dave to be honest. They got me out of jail a few times. 🙄🤣

rob6709

Site Supporter
50/50 mix of hard unprepared (not soaked out of the bag) micros and groundabit. Also an expander hookbait can be deadly.