Method feeder thoughts?

Rick123

Site Supporter
As carp wise up to the method feeder, can you guys make some suggestions for getting more bites please?

I'm finding at times the fish are moving the feeder but not getting caught, or that's what I think it is. I'm fishing a short hook-link (rules) 4'' with a hair about 1/2 inch. I've gone up a hook size and that helps a little. But any ideas would be very welcome? I'm unsure if a bigger bait (currently 4-6mm pellets) say to an 8mm might work better because of the extra weight.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
As carp wise up to the method feeder, can you guys make some suggestions for getting more bites please?

I'm finding at times the fish are moving the feeder but not getting caught, or that's what I think it is. I'm fishing a short hook-link (rules) 4'' with a hair about 1/2 inch. I've gone up a hook size and that helps a little. But any ideas would be very welcome? I'm unsure if a bigger bait (currently 4-6mm pellets) say to an 8mm might work better because of the extra weight.
Its a trial and error method ,try bigger baits,different colours, also try soft baits ,meat ,expanders etc, also try smaller hooks and small baits that can sometimes pay dividends .Also corn or corn skins

Silver fan 82

Something a bit different to try with the method feeder. Instead of fishing it as normal set ut up as a helicopter rig. So method feeder on the end of your mainline, short hooklink tied to a swivel, trapped between fiat stops above the feeder. You can play around with distance from the feeder by moving the float stops.
Only thing is you don't bury your hookbait in the feeder using it like this. Something a bit different to try but it just may get you a few more bites?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Fish will not be moving the feeder unless a liner causes it to move. If you are getting taps then that is fish milling around your feeder. try fishing a slack line so the line lays on the deck. Once the fish feels the point of the hook it should hook itself when bolting. So you are either getting bites or not, that is the fish is picking up the bait or not. Sometimes a lighter bait can help as it is more easily sucked up.

Length of hair can make a difference so I carry two or three different and will swap if I think I should be getting better bites or hook ups.

Method feeder fishing is not a guaranteed route to getting lots of fish. Some days it works, others not. But bait and type of feeder can make a difference. That is why I carry Method, Pellet (two sizes), Hybrid and Banjo. Bait wise I will have pellet (4 &6 mil), corn, meat (polony), maggot (Winter mainly), Wafter in various colours/flavours and buoyancy. Somewhere in that multitude of combinations, feeder type and bait, I will find something the fish want.

And I have to ask if you are double skinning the feeder/bait when loading up?

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I'm sure some carp have learnt to nudge the feeder and then eat what falls off.
Things I have tried that work some days.
Pop ups.
Over wetting the bait ( when you bring it back you have to scrape it off ! )
Twitching the feeder a few inches ( I know never move the feeder LOL )
Heavy feeding over the top.
Change to pellet feeder or cage.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Don't complicate it, stick with a 4in hook length, put the hook bait in the mould first, add groundbait or pellet, compress it, remove it from the mould and then give it a firm squeeze before casting.

Think about what you are trying to achieve.

If you are fishing an island or strip lake towards the top of a shelf you need more weight so 30-36g feeder. Normally you don't need anything bigger than a small or medium method feeder for this type of work. Are you using groundbait or pellet or a combination of the two as some days one works significantly better than the other. Are you using a big cage feeder to top up if the peg goes away from you? Food for thought.

Small light baits such as 3 dead red maggots or 6mm pellet often work better than big baits, simply because they're easier to suck up, so bigger isn't necessarily better.

What gear are you using some use tow rope when 6lb main line is often more than enough combined with 0.17 or 0.19 hook length.

Also are you fishing a stiff tip, tight line, this creates its own issues with liners and spooking fish as they brush the line. Think about using a lighter tip with slight tension or even a moderately slack line.

Then there's casting accuracy, frequency and where you put the feeder on the shelf. Some days you need to be almost right in the the rushes or against the bank other times you need to be a good few feet off.

Lots to think about and I haven't even mentioned groundbait yet, how sticky it is or how you've mixed it.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
When are people choosing to use the method over other types of feeder? When are they beneficial to use?

Shallow venues? Islands?

Since the release of the Hybrid, I very rarely find myself using a method anymore :unsure: 🤷‍♀️

satinet

Site Supporter
When are people choosing to use the method over other types of feeder? When are they beneficial to use?

Shallow venues? Islands?

Since the release of the Hybrid, I very rarely find myself using a method anymore :unsure: 🤷‍♀️
I agree I've always found the pellet feeder a more controlled method. Always find the actual method a bit prone to lots of knocking and banging although it can be really good Sometimes. Shallow in the margins I like it. Never really fancied then in to open water.

Not tried hybrids yet. Seem like a good compromise between pellet and method feeder.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I agree I've always found the pellet feeder a more controlled method. Always find the actual method a bit prone to lots of knocking and banging although it can be really good Sometimes. Shallow in the margins I like it. Never really fancied then in to open water.

Not tried hybrids yet. Seem like a good compromise between pellet and method feeder.
Do you still tuck the bait inside buddy, like you would a method?

Rick123

Site Supporter
I'm thinking a heavy hook bait, unlike a wafter. So the hook has to go in the mouth with a proper bang and turn.

Rick123

Site Supporter

Shallow venues? Islands?

I think it more a generic name for all types in truth. When I say method, i think of a Hybrid as that what I tend to use mostly. I expect others are the of the sam mind in many cases.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"I'm thinking a heavy hook bait, unlike a wafter. So the hook has to go in the mouth with a proper bang and turn."

Which can also lead to the fish mouthing and spitting out

Rick123

Site Supporter
"I'm thinking a heavy hook bait, unlike a wafter. So the hook has to go in the mouth with a proper bang and turn."

Which can also lead to the fish mouthing and spitting out
But it's all about experimenting, and not doing the same thing al the while, like fishing a wafter all the time?