method feeder setup

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Just wanted to check i'm going along the right lines.

Was using a 1.5lb avon rod for method feeding and realised quickly I needed a proper quivertip/feeder rod.

I settled on the Daiwa wankbank (yank n bank) 10' mini method as seemed to get the best ratings for the price.

I've ordered some 6lb maxima chameleon for mainline, is this ok? Everywhere I fish there are doubles but certainly no 20's
Ordered 4lb maxima for hooklengths. Should I go 5lbs maybe?

I'm not chucking far, using a Drennan 25g large method feeder at about 35yds max. But planning on using a Drennan pellet feeder 35g medium when it gets colder.

Any thoughts on my setup? Should probably mention the reel, its a MAP ACS 4000 little baitrunner thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21081

Sounds okay to me, not keen on maxima for hooklengths tho. The pre-tied guru QM1s are great. 4 inch is about right, in hi tech line you will need something like 7lb to a size 14/16.

D

Deleted member 21081

One question, why are you using a heavier but smaller feeder when it gets colder?

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
One question, why are you using a heavier but smaller feeder when it gets colder?

I would have preferred a lighter pellet feeder but not too small, drennans smallest looks too small. I like Drennan due to the semi fixed bolt nature (stopper with a rubber sleeve sticks in the feeder)

I'm thinking smaller offerings in the colder months, but cast about a bit to find the fish, much like how people use the hybrid feeder. Also the pellet feeder looks meat friendly, im thinking luncheon meat will stuff in there better than a method feeder so can occasionally use it to hunt for tench in summer.

I'm an amateur so forgive me if I come off a bit noobish :)

D

Deleted member 21081

Don’t worry my friend your basic set up seems pretty solid and we’ve all been beginners at some point.

Most guys on here are glad to try to help.

You’re probably better with a more traditional open end or cage feeder for meat, plugged in with groundbait. If you cram it in the pellet feeder it may not come out. With pellets they take on water and expand, forcing themselves out of the pellet feeder, this is why it has holes at the back.

Generally I’d rather fish too heavy a feeder than light but for short chucks 25g usually is heavy enough.

What are you going to put on the method?

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Don’t worry my friend your basic set up seems pretty solid and we’ve all been beginners at some point.

Most guys on here are glad to try to help.

You’re probably better with a more traditional open end or cage feeder for meat, plugged in with groundbait. If you cram it in the pellet feeder it may not come out. With pellets they take on water and expand, forcing themselves out of the pellet feeder, this is why it has holes at the back.

Generally I’d rather fish too heavy a feeder than light but for short chucks 25g usually is heavy enough.

What are you going to put on the method?

On the feeder I exclusively fish Bait tech sticky method Micros because so easy to prepare and work really well (if only line bites were real bites lol)

On the hook various stuff. Had most success with 12mm cheesy garlic soft hookers by dynamite baits. Could choke a donkey but had no problem small 2lb commons gobbling them. Rod screamed off 3 times in 20 minutes with small commons. But also had better up to 8-9lbs a couple times.

I've tried ringers choc orange wafters with limited success but of course being wafters they wont stay in the bait pile. But had my best fish on these (few doubles)

Also done well on 12mm robin red hard pellets on the hook.

Was hoping to try luncheon meat on the hook but I reckon it wont survive the method mould.

I have more baits incoming, going to try the swim stim range of 8mm hard pellets for hook bait (to soak or not? They need softening?)

For the pellet feeder I've got some 4mm bait tech expanders incoming (do I need stick mix liquid to use these on a feeder?)

So many questions ;)

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The Yank and Bank is an excellent short feeder rod with a very good action so no problems there, 6lb maxima is ok for mainline but due to the short length of method hook links I would suggest between 7 and 10 lb in something superior like N gauge or even Powerline would be better.
You dont use expanders on the method or in a feeder normally but you can use normal micros or any of the Stiki pellets or Ringers which are easier to prepare than some and most hookbaits can be banded i.e Drilled pellet undrilled pellet etc. or corn ,meat etc hair rigged or used with quick stops.
Banded wafters will stay very near to the bait pile if you use a 14 or 12 hook.

Marker50

Site Supporter
I dont think the bait choice makes any odds on the method.
I only think how the bait reacts to being sucked up and flipping the hook over.
Most times i use banded corn with a good hook up ratio.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I do use size 14 QM1's but it's more satifsying tying my own hook lengths, i will invest in some n-guage for them though.

i reckon a hook length should always be 25-30% less than the mainline, is that about right? Would rather the hook length breaks than lose my feeder :)

So for 6lb line (giving it a go as already purchased) i'm thinking 4lb hook length. Or could i get away with a slightly higher 5lb? i'm thinking 4lb would be a bit more supple especially for the hair end with the band.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don’t feeder fish on stillwaters but agree with your thinking on lines. When I fish the feeder on rivers I use 6lb mainline with hooklengths anywhere between 3 and 5 pound depending on the targets and swim etc.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Another question whilst im still awake...

Where do you get the little black rubbers that guru use to clip the hair to the hook shank?
s-l500.jpg
I don't know what search term to use, when i search hook bands or hair rig bands it comes up with bait bands lol

I thought about buying some little o-rings (seal ring type things) but i think they'll be too fat. Also ruled out really fine heatshrink because i think the heat gun might melt the line.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
If you use 6lb maxima main line and 6lb n-gauge hooklinks the hooklink will break before the mainline. Maxima is a good bit stronger than it’s rating. The lightest n-gauge I would go to would be 5lb, I wouldn’t use 4.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Another question whilst im still awake...

Where do you get the little black rubbers that guru use to clip the hair to the hook shank?
s-l500.jpg
I don't know what search term to use, when i search hook bands or hair rig bands it comes up with bait bands lol

I thought about buying some little o-rings (seal ring type things) but i think they'll be too fat. Also ruled out really fine heatshrink because i think the heat gun might melt the line.

I use heatshrink a lot and find the best way to stop it from melting is to shrink it over steam (boiling kettle). Keep rotating while holding it over and you won't have that problem.
Failing that you can use float rubbers of a suitable diameter.
As for those 'O' rings, they are called bait bands.

D

Deleted member 21081

Your thinking is right about hooklengths but modern pre stretched line is different.

Because you would be using a very short Hooklength on the method and your mainline is much longer you can use a Hooklength of higher rating and it will still give first.

So although it sounds wrong a 6lb maxima mainline to a 7lb n-gauge Hooklength is about right.

D

Deleted member 21081

As @Marker50 said the silicon is not vital and a couple more whips on the hook shank will be less fiddly and just as good.

D

Deleted member 21081

I agree that hookbait is not that important but getting your feed on the feeder is vital.

I’ve not used the sticki pellets myself but they sound ideal because presumably they contain some form of binder. Good choice!