Method feeder rod for specimen carp

cyprian

I fish a small water where the carp run 6-25 lbs and fight tough. . I want to fish a method feeder with 12-15 lb. line rather than classic carp tactics like pva bags. Can anyone suggest a feeder rod that has a nice action to enjoy the fight from fish of this size but at the same time has adequate power to not lose fish. Fished it a few weeks ago for a couple of hours using a Nash Snide 2lb. t.c. with floating bread and had fish of 6, 8, 10.5, 11.5, 12.5 and 17.5. I prefer a rod of 10\11 feet and ideally 3 piece. I have commercial type feeder rods but feel they may well be undergunned for some of the fish in these lakes. Thanks for any ideas posted.

g1bbo71

I would say it is more the size/weight of the method feeder, I used a Shimano Avon rod on Daventry a few years back and handled fish to 19lb no problem but it was on the limits for large traditional style method feeders fully loaded, Probs a 2.25 - 2.5 tc 10/11ft carp rod maybe the best option or at least thats my thinking.

***edit*** ahh I see you prefer 3 piece rods, not so many about nowadays the trend seems to be for 2 piece rods )just getting back into coarse fishing after a 10+ year break and have been shopping online profusely). I am sure someone will be able to advise on a 3 piece rod that fits the bill

Last edited:

satinet

An Avon or twin tip rod might be the ticket. I have a pair of Abu rods that are 1.5tc with the non feeder section and have also got a feeder top with three tips (2,3, 5 ounce). They were really good at Boddington where big doubles are nothing to write home about. They were 12ft however. Much more pokey than a lot of rods.

i think you're right in that most shorter and commie type rods tend to be a bit softer. I have got a 10ft garbolino Zombie feeder rod that has quite a bit of poke but I haven't had anything really big to give a true opinion.

cyprian

Thanks for your opinion guys. I have had a look at a Shimano Beast Master BX 9-11 and the 11' butt is significantly stronger than my Daiwa N-zon 12' 80 gm. I have been recommended to take a look at the MAP Dual Feeder 11' as having the power to deal with large carp.