Method Feeder Rod - 3 Piece

dcjg70

Hi all,

New to the forum but hoping to get some advice if possible?

I am looking for a 3 piece method feeder rod capable of casting a 45gm loaded method feeder over a shortish (20yd) distance. Primarily fishing for bream and the odd tench. Less concerned about cost than quality and feel.

Can anyone provide any recommendations? Many Thanks.

Browner

Site Supporter
Look at the Daiwa N,Zon S range. They do a whole range of 3pc rods both 11ft and 12ft in various casting weights up to a max of 120g I think.

dcjg70

Hi all,

New to the forum but hoping to get some advice if possible?

I am looking for a 3 piece method feeder rod capable of casting a 45gm loaded method feeder over a shortish (20yd) distance. Primarily fishing for bream and the odd tench. Less concerned about cost than quality and feel.

Can anyone provide any recommendations? Many Thanks.
Or alternatively an 11ft barbel rod capable of casting a 45gm loaded method feeder that I can use with a bite alarm.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter

dcjg70

11ft Greys TXL Specimen (y) Can chuck a decent weight but also makes a decent float rod if you fancied mixing it up. Lovely well made rod with an excellent feel.
This is the sort of thing I am after (y). A rod that can handle casting a 45gm loaded method feeder, but not necessarily a quiver tip, but still has enough 'feel' to be able to fish for Bream and Tench. Another option I was looking at was a 1.75TC 11ft Korum Barbel Rod, but not sure if this will be too stiff for the likes of Bream.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
This is the sort of thing I am after (y). A rod that can handle casting a 45gm loaded method feeder, but not necessarily a quiver tip, but still has enough 'feel' to be able to fish for Bream and Tench. Another option I was looking at was a 1.75TC 11ft Korum Barbel Rod, but not sure if this will be too stiff for the likes of Bream.

I've used mine as a pellet waggler rod and it's easily handled carp to 8lbs on the one occasion i actually caught anything fishing like that :LOL: My dad borrowed it when his rod broke and he was chucking a 50 gram Preston bullet feeder about 30 yards, catching Tench to 4lbs and carp into lower doubles. Never skipped a beat.

It's been a while since i waggled a Korum Barbel rod but 1.75lbs might be a bit stiff (especially for Bream), depends on the action really. The 11ft Greys is a nice through action.

dcjg70

I've used mine as a pellet waggler rod and it's easily handled carp to 8lbs on the one occasion i actually caught anything fishing like that :LOL: My dad borrowed it when his rod broke and he was chucking a 50 gram Preston bullet feeder about 30 yards, catching Tench to 4lbs and carp into lower doubles. Never skipped a beat.

It's been a while since i waggled a Korum Barbel rod but 1.75lbs might be a bit stiff (especially for Bream), depends on the action really. The 11ft Greys is a nice through action.
Thank you for this info, it's appreciated. I have had a look this morning and can see an '11ft Greys Prodigy TXL Specimen 1.00lb', is this the rod your referring to? :)

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Thank you for this info, it's appreciated. I have had a look this morning and can see an '11ft Greys Prodigy TXL Specimen 1.00lb', is this the rod your referring to? :)

Yes.

It is 2 piece though, really hard to find 3 piece Barbel rods.

Maverick

Site Supporter

dcjg70

I'll second that. I have one. In the winter months I use it with a bite alarm, a 45g bomb and a T-Bag.

In the summer I will use it for surface fishing for carp if I get the opportunity.
I'm hoping to use it with a 45gm method feeder with bite alarms for tench and bream, sounds like exactly what I'm after (y)

dcjg70

I'll second that. I have one. In the winter months I use it with a bite alarm, a 45g bomb and a T-Bag.

In the summer I will use it for surface fishing for carp if I get the opportunity.
Hi, sorry just to confirm it is the 1lb tc version you've got. I spoke to my local tackle shop today and they think I should be looking at the 1.5lb tc version and that I have misundertood which rod you had suggested. Just want to make sure I am asking for the right thing. Thanks. :)

Maverick

Site Supporter
Not got the rod at hand at the moment but will have a look tomorrow for you.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I use a 12’ Ron Thompson Panther power feeder rod or a TF Gear Matt Hayes feeder rod for all my method and bomb work - both come with 3 quiver tips - cost under £20 from a charity shop.

Fabulous rods that sit nicely in the hand, have good quality reel seats & rings and are as capable dealing with a 1lb fish as they are with a 14lb fish (largest to date).

Whilst I mainly use a 15g method feeder or 30g bomb I did punt out fully loaded 45g feeders last autumn with ease on both rods - lake maxes out around 40yds on majority of swims but I could easily clear far further if needed so a 20yd flick would be a doddle.

If you are using an alarm theres no reason not to fit the heaviest tip with rods like these, fish them straight out and you’ll be good I reckon

Maverick

Site Supporter
Had a look at mine this morning. Its actually the older TX model not the TXL.

There isnt a test curve listed on the rod. I bought it second hand without the bag so it may have been printed on that.

Attachments

• IMG_20210502_081055.jpg
    IMG_20210502_081055.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210502_081217.jpg
    IMG_20210502_081217.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 8

dcjg70

Had a look at mine this morning. Its actually the older TX model not the TXL.

There isnt a test curve listed on the rod. I bought it second hand without the bag so it may have been printed on that.
Thank you for checking, I appreciate it. :) I'll have a look online and see if I can figure out the TC of yours and go from there.

Rick123

Site Supporter
11ft Greys TXL Specimen (y) Can chuck a decent weight but also makes a decent float rod if you fancied mixing it up. Lovely well made rod with an excellent feel.

Sorry, but they are an awful rod buddy. The bottom section is use on all three rods, the 1lb 1.5 1.75 so the action is awful at the lower end and only the 1.5 is decent, but its not a stunning rod at all. But that's just my own opinion after owning one? You may feel much different after seeing one.

dcjg70

Sorry, but they are an awful rod buddy. The bottom section is use on all three rods, the 1lb 1.5 1.75 so the action is awful at the lower end and only the 1.5 is decent, but its not a stunning rod at all. But that's just my own opinion after owning one? You may feel much different after seeing one.
Hi,

Thanks for this, do you have any suggestions on a different alternative? I am looking for a 2 or 3 piece rod for using with a 45gm loaded method feeder on bite alarms for bream and tench. I'm after enough of a rod to cast the weight around 20 yards but with a soft enough action to make playing the fish enjoyable. The rod doesn't need to be of a quiver tip style. I have been looking at barbel rods but want to make sure I get the correct TC as to ensure they aren't too stiff.

Thanks.