Method feeder mix

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Just thought i'd share what i've been catching on.

Someone suggested mixing a little groundbait in with my pellets so they stay on the feeder better and that's exactly what i've done, gone from waiting 10-20 minutes for a pull-round to waiting sometimes 30 seconds - 2 minutes :D

18465_600.jpg

So on my method feeder i was using Bait-Tech sticky method pellets (micros) and that is still the case. I didn't fancy messing about with stick mix liquids and stuff i wanted something easy and foolproof so settled on these. i've found if you chuck a handful down the edge near some reeds the water starts boiling with fish movements within 5 minutes or so, can see the reeds moving constantly :giggle: so figured i'd defintely stick with these. I was conscious that my pellets might be falling off the feeder on the cast though (i haven't really gotten around to learning to clip up yet, but i do feather the cast and slow down the line coming off the spool by hand before the feeder plops in) so i asked for advice and groundbait was the plan to make it a pretty foolproof method.

MELASSA_DEF-563x600.jpg

I've always thought a little extra attraction couldn't hurt so i always mix in a load of Dynamite Baits sweet molasses liquid in the water i soak my pellets in (also contains Betaine which looks to be all he rave these days!)

pastura-swim-stim-amino-original.jpg

For groundbait i've settled on the Swim-Stim Amino original, i was reading something sciencey a week or so ago about amino compounds stimulating feeding in common carp so i thought why not? Worth a go.

dynamite_baits_robin_red_pellets_5.jpg

For hook baits i'm back to old faithful, 12mm Robin Red donkey chokers with a bait band pulled into the middle of them on a size 12 QM1. Also have some 8mm Betaine green and 8mm amino originals from swim stim if i want to mix it up a bit.

So after soaking my pellets i drain off the liquid and add the groundbait (2 parts pellets to 1 groundbait) and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then give it a mix round by hand and see how it comes together when squeezed, if it's still a little dry i just wet my hand and give it all a mix again.

Seems to be working quite well so far. But i've never caught a Tinca yet on the method, would love to crack that (plenty in the water i fish)

What does everyone else use on the Method? :sneaky:

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
You are paying extra for sticky pellets that stick better to the feeder so you may as well just use ordinary basic micros if you are dosing them up with molasses then adding groundbait as well.
Some venues seem to respond better to a groundbait approach and others to a more pellet based approach but the answer is to try various combinations until you find the best for your particular situation.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I use a sticky method mix mixed 50/50 with Swimstim Amino. No use using pellets as most times it's fishery pellet only. Will mix with sticky pellet if allowed.

PAB

Site Supporter
I use just plain ole micros with 25% ground bait mostly green or black no added extracts it works for me and if I feel I have money to spare I will use 2mm Red Robin micros instead of plain.

D

Deleted member 21081

If the mix is right for you, stick with it, pardon the pun!

A couple of points:

A 12mm hookbait is pretty large, remember you don’t need a big bait to catch a big fish

Learning to clip up will help you to cast to the same place each time, which will build a swim, it’s worth learning to do, and not that difficult with a bit of practice, plenty of videos on YouTube to explain the theory

A method dropped in the margin can be a fantastic tactic. I’ve had lots of huge carp literally lowering in a method next to the platform I’m fishing from, at this time of year the big old wise fish feed in shallow water. Keep hold of your rod and set your clutch slack!

Tench can be difficult to target on a water that contains a lot of carp. Fishing to features such as lily pads and the like may help but it’s quite difficult to get them if the carp are feeding.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
If the mix is right for you, stick with it, pardon the pun!

A couple of points:

A 12mm hookbait is pretty large, remember you don’t need a big bait to catch a big fish

Learning to clip up will help you to cast to the same place each time, which will build a swim, it’s worth learning to do, and not that difficult with a bit of practice, plenty of videos on YouTube to explain the theory

A method dropped in the margin can be a fantastic tactic. I’ve had lots of huge carp literally lowering in a method next to the platform I’m fishing from, at this time of year the big old wise fish feed in shallow water. Keep hold of your rod and set your clutch slack!

Tench can be difficult to target on a water that contains a lot of carp. Fishing to features such as lily pads and the like may help but it’s quite difficult to get them if the carp are feeding.

I can catch them with a nice lump of luncheon meat on a wagler within 3 or 4ft of the edge but I don't get a sniff on method feeder, tried that close in too and did nearly lose my rod. Remembering to set the bait runner now when close in lol

I'd fish wagler more but I must be doing it wrong as hardly get many bites on it. I do fish it on the bottom slightly over depth so bait not hanging mid water and looking unnatural.

D

Deleted member 21081

I can catch them with a nice lump of luncheon meat on a wagler within 3 or 4ft of the edge but I don't get a sniff on method feeder, tried that close in too and did nearly lose my rod. Remembering to set the bait runner now when close in lol

I'd fish wagler more but I must be doing it wrong as hardly get many bites on it. I do fish it on the bottom slightly over depth so bait not hanging mid water and looking unnatural.
On a lot of venues 3 or 4 foot out could be too far, in the right circumstances I’ve caught well actually touching a platform!

Obviously to do this you need to not scare the fish, they react to vibrations not just noise!

If the fish are there and your method is set up correctly there’s no reason they shouldn’t take it.

They can be wary though, often fishing along the margin or even to the next peg can work very well.