Method Feeder Hooklength Box

Maverick

Site Supporter
Just bought myself a new small hooklength box and I am about to fill it with hooklengths all for method feeder fishing.

The main target are carp upto mid doubles - no F1s.

I was sitting pondering on what to tie up and I just seem to have tunnel vision. All I ever seem to do these days is use a bayonet rig, with a size 12 qm1 and an 8mm wafter.

Does anyone still use a bait band and a hard pellet when fishing the method? Do you use any quickstop hooklengths for meat/corn for method feeder work anymore?

Whats in your method feeder hook box and what hook baits do you use?

satinet

Site Supporter
Qm1 and drennan method on guru n-gage with bait bands.

Just a pleasure fisherman though.

Normally use drennan bandums or ringers waters.

Last edited:

satinet

Site Supporter
Just bought some sheat shrink to get the loop that contains the band in a better place.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
mix of bayonets, bands and quickstops.

Rarely use wafters, prefer hard pellets in bands. Sometimes i'll put little cubes of meat on quickstop rigs and only resort to a nice bright wafter if nothing much happening.

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
I have banded, quikstops, lassos, hairs, bayonets all tied to 4” hooklengths for method in my boxes, tied to various sizes of qm1 hooks. 👍🏼

OldTaff

Site Supporter
QM1 in 14, 12 & 10 - 75%/25% split of band/bayonet - Primary hookbait is wafters & hard pellet but meat or corn go on bayonet.

All tied to 4” guru n-gauge for method work.

Have a box of QM1’s to 24” for bomb but I will happily cut these down depending on how the fish are responding - same ratio of band to spike.

Not used a hair stop since returning to fishing last year but used them a lot for hair rig corn in the old days.

chris1967

Site Supporter
Bit of all 3 ,quick stops for soft baits,bait bands for hard pellets and bayonets for wafters aids the buoyancy ,i wouldnt use a wafter in a band as i think it lifts the wafter too much thats just me others may have more confidence than me

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Just bought myself a new small hooklength box and I am about to fill it with hooklengths all for method feeder fishing.

The main target are carp upto mid doubles - no F1s.

I was sitting pondering on what to tie up and I just seem to have tunnel vision. All I ever seem to do these days is use a bayonet rig, with a size 12 qm1 and an 8mm wafter.

Does anyone still use a bait band and a hard pellet when fishing the method? Do you use any quickstop hooklengths for meat/corn for method feeder work anymore?

Whats in your method feeder hook box and what hook baits do you use?
Bands for all hard baits ,quick stops for soft or drilled round baits

rudd

Site Supporter
Bands for all hard baits ,quick stops for soft or drilled round baits
Same here, also have hooks with no hair for maggot, caster, worm, bread.
3 and 4 inch, 7lb and 8lb drennan double strength, drennan method or qm1's

rudd

Site Supporter
Bit of all 3 ,quick stops for soft baits,bait bands for hard pellets and bayonets for wafters aids the buoyancy ,i wouldnt use a wafter in a band as i think it lifts the wafter too much thats just me others may have more confidence than me
trim wafter to balance with hook

rudd

Site Supporter
Just bought some sheat shrink to get the loop that contains the band in a better place.
Have found an off set hair is a better option on small hooks.
Tie hook by whipping hair down 4/5/6 ( hook size dependent), lift hair and whip line on shank 3/4/5 times and go back through eye.
The hook gets a more aggressive angle, hair stays in place and gives bait a bit more movement.

If using shrink tube you need to mimic the mag aligner rig where hair comes out of a hole pricked in tubing prior to shrinking. If not your hair is tight to hook, preventing bait and hook movement.

rudd

Site Supporter
too much of a faff bud
So how do you know if its balanced?
Every wafter in pot is different.
Just need bait tub with water and a pen knife, new hooklength/bait or bait goes on, rig into tub, if wafter slowly sinks - ok, if not trim a bit off and re test until it does.
If not its going to act as a pop up instead of a wafter.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I don't like QM1 ( first and only time I used them I lost every fish )
I use MWG with a band as I can fish a Dumbell , pellet , corn or cut the band off and fish dead reds.
I do have some quickstops but tend to use them for bread or corn on a staight lead rig.

Maverick

Site Supporter
Thanks guys, having read all the replies, they have been a great help. it confirms to me that for the fishing I do on the waters I fish:

I don't fish softbaits on the method - so I don't need quickstop rigs

I don't fish hard pellets on the method anymore after hearing so much about how the hookbait doesn't matter as the fish see's the pile of bait and sucks it up in one go. Seems common sense that a wafter type bait will fly up into the mouth easier than a hard pellet.

So I need bayonet rigs for wafters and simple hook rigs for using maggots on the method in the colder months.

0ne box with bayonets and one box with maggot hook rigs.

Keeps my bait choice's simple (y)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I don't agree about bait on the hook. I have had planty of days when a change of bait on the hook (and/or change of feeder type) has brought bites not previously seen. No idea why but I would not limit myself or rule a bait (or feeder) out. Particularly hard pellet.

My hooklengths are all 4 inch and to 0.17 Reflo and 16 B911.

Plain hook, band and hair. Hair is pulled through a Wafter with a fine baiting needle. No need for a stop as the bait grips the knot on the hair sufficiently. Plain hook for corn, meat & maggot, band for pellet.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I don't fish hard pellets on the method anymore after hearing so much about how the hookbait doesn't matter as the fish see's the pile of bait and sucks it up in one go. Seems common sense that a wafter type bait will fly up into the mouth easier than a hard pellet.

I‘m not sure that’s the case - I’m my experience there are days on a given water when fish will only take a certain type of bait irrespective of what they ‘usually’ take.

By not trying hard pellet or sweetcorn or expanders or meat in conjunction with a method feeder & only using wafters I think you are needlessly handicapping yourself.

If everyone on your local water fishes method with wafter then the fish will become wary of that bait and a swap around to something with a different texture / size / consistency may well produce results you wouldn’t have otherwise had so it’s worth carrying a few hooklengths that can accommodate such baits.

Maverick

Site Supporter
I can only speak from my own experiences. If the fish are having it, they will take whatever hookbait is on the feeder. If it's a hard day where they are not having it, it doesn't matter what hookbait you try thay are still not having it.

If you do catch the odd fish some may swear blind it's the change of hookbait that did the trick wheras you may still have caught that odd fish if you had stuck with your original choice of hookbait.

I have yet to see the day when somone is fishing for an hour using one hook bait without a bite, then swaps hook baits and hey presto they're bagging up. If that did happen it's probably because the fish have just turned up and if they swapped back to the original choice they would still continue to bag up.

I am of course referring to the method feeder here. I could well be wrong but I've never found that changing my hook baits has made a scrap of difference when fishing the method.