Method feeder help.

Stevekp

Site Supporter
Hi, I am just new here and have returned to coarse fishing after a lengthy absence. I have had a couple of attempts at the method feeder and it is not going too well. I have been fishing the margins and on the first attempt with a tight line to the quivertip the rod would sweep right around quite savagely but failed to hook up. This happened on most casts but I only managed to catch 3 Bream of around a pound. I put this down to the fish swimming into the line and spooking so on the second attempt I fished with the line slack in the hope that it would lie on the bottom out of the way. This time I was watching the line where it entered the water and it kept pulling out and dropping back, sometimes a yard or more and sometimes registered on the rod as well. The fact that the line always dropped back led me to believe that the feeder hadn't moved otherwise the line wouldn't be able to drop back. None hooked up. I am using a 4in hooklength and Kamasan or Guru hooks in size 10 or 12 and either a 6mm hard pellet with a band or a hair rigged wafter with a quickstop. I also tried a couple of 6mm soft Halibut pellets direct onto the hook to try to eliminate the hair . The feeder was 20 grams and I upped that to 30 grams to try to increase the bolt effect. Looking at underwater footage on youtube the fish were emptying the feeder but hardly moving it, certainly not enough to pull the rod around violently. Does anyone have any suggestions as to any thing I can do differently.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I would go down on hook size, try a size 14, the fish may be mouthing the bait but feeling the hook and rejecting. A size 10 for a 6mm pellet is over-kill.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Select a swim with the wind blowing into it. The time of day can play a big part as fish often don't come into the side until around 14-30 as they tend to sit in the deeper water until they feel it's time to come into the sides, (you normally see them cruising and venturing closer in). Try loose feeding 6mm pellets over the top ideally in 18ins to 2 ft of water where the fish will feel more comfortable. Fish a mixture of pellet and groundbait giving the feeder a firm squeeze to compact the groundbait against the feeder after it comes out of the mould.

Casting should be a nice underarm lob 1-2ft away from the vegetation depending on depth. Set the clutch lightly as proper bites will see the rod ripped off the rest and will have the clutch giving line on the take. 6mm pellets or wafters should be perfect noting I tend to stick with simple pellets and a 12-14 hook even when using 6mm's.

Don't just sit on it, cast reasonably frequently to put a bed of feed down

Total

Site Supporter
Select a swim with the wind blowing into it. The time of day can play a big part as fish often don't come into the side until around 14-30 as they tend to sit in the deeper water until they feel it's time to come into the sides, (you normally see them cruising and venturing closer in). Try loose feeding 6mm pellets over the top ideally in 18ins to 2 ft of water where the fish will feel more comfortable. Fish a mixture of pellet and groundbait giving the feeder a firm squeeze to compact the groundbait against the feeder after it comes out of the mould.

Casting should be a nice underarm lob 1-2ft away from the vegetation depending on depth. Set the clutch lightly as proper bites will see the rod ripped off the rest and will have the clutch giving line on the take. 6mm pellets or wafters should be perfect noting I tend to stick with simple pellets and a 12-14 hook even when using 6mm's.

Don't just sit on it, cast reasonably frequently to put a bed of feed down
^^ I'm watching very closely Mr Brittain, you've very obviously have done this before!:oops:;):D......Between us we might be able to convert our Chris....:geek::ROFLMAO:

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
^^ I'm watching very closely Mr Brittain, you've very obviously have done this before!:oops:;):D......Between us we might be able to convert our Chris....:geek::ROFLMAO:
On strip lakes, against islands and in some corners you'll catch on the method all day. The same can apply to some venues open water pegs however the OP seems to be more specific and targeting the margins which wouldn't be my first choice but it's something I've been doing lately when I've been getting silly bites down the side on the pole and it's a good way of determining if it's silvers or carp and if your presentation/approach is correct on the pole.

The one thing I will say to anybody contemplating fishing within a couple of rod lengths is make sure you hold onto your rod and set your drag as the bites are savage.

As for Chris not a chance, he'll break out in a sweat just contemplating the tip :ROFLMAO:

Total

Site Supporter
On strip lakes, against islands and in some corners you'll catch on the method all day. The same can apply to some venues open water pegs however the OP seems to be more specific and targeting the margins which wouldn't be my first choice but it's something I've been doing lately when I've been getting silly bites down the side on the pole and it's a good way of determining if it's silvers or carp and if your presentation/approach is correct on the pole.

The one thing I will say to anybody contemplating fishing within a couple of rod lengths is make sure you hold onto your rod and set your drag as the bites are savage.

As for Chris not a chance, he'll break out in a sweat just contemplating the tip :ROFLMAO:
I concur with the above......Corner pegs can ok using the method (hybrid, pellet feeder....Ones preference) but its a busy method if done properly...I prefer a bit of room and cover....

I'm a bait runner user, both have their advantages....

Chris needs to get some use out of his Cresta feeder rod....;)

Stevekp

Site Supporter
Thanks for advice, I forgot to say that I use a baitrunner and will drop to a smaller hook to see if it helps.

davej1981

On the method i use a 16 b911x with either a banded 6 or 8mm pellet, never had these issues when dropping down the edge