Method feeder fishing

Jay78

Looking for some advice on short distance method fishing rod and reel set up I have been looking at the drennan acolyte pro 9ft
With new reel to suit but I’m totally lost on this one there are some really good rods out there I have tried a few just can decide any ideas appreciated

OldTaff

Site Supporter
You can use any feeder rod for short distance method fishing, you don’t need to limit yourself to a 9’ rod unless the venue you are targeting has particular access issues.

Likewise for short distance casting the reel doesn’t have to be an all singing and dancing top of the range one, a decent quality 2500/3000 size reel will suffice.

For me it’s a 12’ Ron Thompson Panther medium feeder rod with an Okuma Interceptor reel - all up less than £50 and it puts a heck of a lot of fish on the bank.

Bagger1590

Try the browning ck f1 wand brilliant little rod and only £40..also don't be fooled by the name f1 I've landed carp over 10lb with it easily.. Best rod I've ever bought.

Trent_Fisher

I’d always prefer a shorter rod for commercial method fishing. 9’ or 10’ are perfect. Matched to a 2500 or 3000 reel with 6lb mono.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
If you are a regular match/competitive angler on commercial waters, viz those with really tight swims, overhanging trees etc, then I can see the need for a 9ft rod but for general method work on commercials I'd be looking for something just a tad longer. I use 10 or 11ft rods which are ideal for most standard commercial match lakes. Sometimes I'll use an 11 ft rod if I want to get to a feature that's a little further out. Drennan do really nice acolyte plus rods for commercials (and Ultras for winter) . I now use Shimano and Browning Sphere rods for my commercial work. In terms of value for money there are so many to choose from - Preston Monster, Daiwa Yank and Bank, Shimano Forcemaster (I used the Forcemaster - great results) and so on. I've seen Korum rods in action they look good too! Sadly I cannot recommend either of the two rods I use as they are no longer in production Browning Sphere 3m Bomb 50g c/w and Shimano's Speedmaster 10ft. If you want to risk ebay you may get lucky, but new rods? Personally I prefer to have a "waggle" of the rod before making a decision - one man's meat etc

You might want to think about a small baitrunner reel (2500 ish) for those savage takes at short range. I use the Shimano's Aero on my Speedmaster rod

Jay78

Some great advice here the one thing I was unsure about was going too short to 9ft I think the 10ft is the way to go then
I do fish mainly commercials and my main areas of target is just past the pole line

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
My preference is a 9ft tricast 2k4 power carp feeder ( I wanted a rod that would catch small and large carp )
As for a reel I settled on Shimano Stradic 2500 ( I like a fighting drag especially for close fishing )
Been using this combination for a while now and it suits my needs.

rudd

Site Supporter
Looking for some advice on short distance method fishing rod and reel set up I have been looking at the drennan acolyte pro 9ft
With new reel to suit but I’m totally lost on this one there are some really good rods out there I have tried a few just can decide any ideas appreciated
Stick a 2500 Shimano baby bait runner on it - job done.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Some great advice here the one thing I was unsure about was going too short to 9ft I think the 10ft is the way to go then
I do fish mainly commercials and my main areas of target is just past the pole line
A 10ft rod will give you more options in case you need to go that extra few metres with accuracy

alsur

Site Supporter
I use a 9ft for short chucks less than 16m and 10ft for most of my commercial method feeder fishing. If you won't be casting more than 16m a 9ft would be fine but 10ft is more versatile as it only marginally worse than 9ft at shorter lengths. As for reel any good 3000 type reel will be fine I use a Daiwa procaster evo.

JRW

Site Supporter
Agree with Cobweb and aslur here. If I was only going to buy one feeder rod I would go for a 10ft. If I was going to buy two but wait to get the funds together for the second one I would go for the 10ft first. You might decide to change venue sometime. I bought a 9ft but not just for short chucks, I wanted it for the annoying pegs where the width is restricted by bushes or reeds and it stops me setting up the rest where I want it.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Agree with Cobweb and aslur here. If I was only going to buy one feeder rod I would go for a 10ft. If I was going to buy two but wait to get the funds together for the second one I would go for the 10ft first. You might decide to change venue sometime. I bought a 9ft but not just for short chucks, I wanted it for the annoying pegs where the width is restricted by bushes or reeds and it stops me setting up the rest where I want it.
There are shorter rods than 9ft around for that task if you need them. Browning's Carp King range start at 7' and Shimano's Beastmaster's at 8.