Method feeder considerations?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Do many of you fish a heavier short hook link with the method feeder. I still tend to use something slightly lighter myself, just in case of break off's. However I do see a few advocate a stronger short hook-link, I'm open to opinion?

Dropon

Not much stretch in a short hook length ,plus if they are having it a heavier line won’t put them off.

rudd

Site Supporter
8lb sensor mainline
7 or 8lb drennan double strenght hooklength

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
From my Guide to Commercial Feeder Fishing

Hooklengths & Mainline
One thing newcomers to fishing this type of feeder find confusing is that the hooklength is often stronger than the main line. That goes against everything you have been taught. But there is logic behind it.

Hooklength line will tend to be a high tech (pre-stretched) line while the main line will be traditional (unstretched) mono. The pre-stretched line while finer for the same breaking strain is somewhat brittle and thus can break when subjected to a shock loading as when a fish bolts when it first feels the hook or when it shakes its head close in. On the pole this is countered using elastic. On the feeder we use a stronger breaking strain hooklength and the stretch in the main line, the rod's action and probably a baitrunner facility and/or reel drag to cushion the initial bite and lunges under the rod tip.

For casting purposes we want a mainline with a balance between strength and thickness. The strength to withstand the casting shock and lunges of the fish, the thinner line to aid distance. Once the feeder has been cast there will be enough stretch in the line for it to withstand the initial shock of a bite. So while we may use, say 6lb main line the hooklength could be 7, 8 or even 10lb. Even when landing the fish there is enough combined give in the line, rod and reel so that even double figure fish present no problem on 6lb mainline.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Do many of you fish a heavier short hook link with the method feeder. I still tend to use something slightly lighter myself, just in case of break off's. However I do see a few advocate a stronger short hook-link, I'm open to opinion?

i used 9lb Guru N Gauge with 6lb maxima and the hooklength always gave way first.

Same with 12lb N Gauge to 8lb Tournament ST.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
On one particular venue that I fish I use a mini bait runner for my method feeder fishing. Especially in summer. Purely because the carp in there are nutcases and set off at full chat once they’ve picked up your bait.