method feeder and paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt

Site Supporter
does anyone have any tips or tricks to use when fishing the method feeder with paste as bait? is it just a case of putting paste on the hook nd chucking it out, or do you have to mix the paste to a certain consistency etcc...
any help greatly appreciated

brady

hi matt my tip would be to use a paste spring as it keeps hold of even the softest paste when casting

CHOPPERHARRISON

TRY USING THE BAIT SPRINGS FROM KORUM ON A HAIR RIG.
I'V USED THEM FISHING THE METHOD ON TARA AT CUDMORE,WITH OUT IT COMING OFF ALL DAY.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Matt,

One tip that I was given some time back but have yet to try is to thread part of a Biro spring onto the shank of a hook before tying it on.
Mould the paste around this and it should hold well.

Dave

matt

Site Supporter
thnks guys, it seems the answer is to usse a paste spring, i'll get some next time i'm in the tackle shop

MALC

Personaly i'd forget the Springs for the following reasons,

1)..Korum one's are liable to seperate from the hair rig and where would they end up (some where inside the fish)(or scattered on the bottom).

2)..Biro spring on the hook shank would reduce the gap between shank and point thus limiting the hook hold (or rubbing unduly against the fish).

Best option is to play with the texture of the paste untill you are happy with it.
Get the texture right and you will have no problem.

With practise you will have no problem hitting 50+ yds with paste either straight on the hook or via a hair rig with nothing more than a small knot and it wont fall off or cause harm to the fish.

Just play with the texture.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

jonnie130

A usefull trick that i have foundwhen fishing paste on the method is to putyour paste in the outer layers of your groundbait moulded around your method feeder. This stops it from flying off on cast and as sonn as the method hits the bottom the outer layers will drop off leaving your paste amongst the groundbait.

j.taylor

Steve

I have found if you mix a paste of the right consistency it stays on pretty well. Custard powder mixed 50/50 with flour then add water a little at a time is a good alround paste that stays on well. If you mix it a day before you use it and put it in the fridge until required it seems to make a good firm mix. When it has been in the water for a few minutes it softens so the hook pulls through the paste which improves hooking ability. It must be that the custard absorbes water faster than flour and compressed bread. Most other pastes I have tried (home made that is) don't soften as well. It also takes colours and flavourings well.

Good luck

paul

Matt, try using a hair rig but instead of using the normal loop on the hair,put two Drennan leger stops on and mould the paste round them.

Status
Not open for further replies.