Messingham...Take 2

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Off to Messingham for a 2nd trip on Sunday 11th. This time it's North Lake to try and help @sly beat his PB Carp of 12lb. Yes, it's a Carping session for a change so looking forward to plenty of Bream (well, sods law isn't it). If anyone else fancies it (or think you can put up with us two) pop along a say Hi, we don't charge a consultancy fee, unless you start asking questions. :LOL:

Total

Site Supporter
^^ Messingham must be in need of a fluff and tree clearance! ;):p:giggle:

......I hope both have a good day and our Sly breaks his personal best. (y).......Might be worth tying Sly down to his box/ platform in case he connects with one of Messingham's 'rockets'. :D(y)

ukzero1

Site Supporter
^^ Messingham must be in need of a fluff and tree clearance! ;):p:giggle:

......I hope both have a good day and our Sly breaks his personal best. (y).......Might be worth tying Sly down to his box/ platform in case he connects with one of Messingham's 'rockets'. :D(y)

Now that is one thing I'm looking forward to. I don't have a rope but I have a long bungee that I can clip to his belt and the other end to a tree. Safety first I always say. :LOL:

Total

Site Supporter
^^ Agree, 'Safety first' :giggle:

A long bungee attached to his belt may not be a good idea.:oops:......Should our Sly have to let go of his rod when connected to a decent carp you'll probably find he's been catapulted to the South Lake or sitting in the on site shop!......Allowing for a favourable wind, he may make the far bank of Swan Pond. :geek::giggle:

ukzero1

Site Supporter
^^ Agree, 'Safety first' :giggle:

A long bungee attached to his belt may not be a good idea.:oops:......Should our Sly have to let go of his rod when connected to a decent carp you'll probably find he's been catapulted to the South Lake or sitting in the on site shop!......Allowing for a favourable wind, he may make the far bank of Swan Pond. :geek::giggle:

Well, yes..but..at least he won't hit the water and get wet. :roflmao:

ukzero1

Site Supporter
UPDATE...

Fished said place today and oh boy it was hard going. No rain but the wind was a tad breezy to say the least. Anyway, Got to North Lake and sussed out a likely spot that looked nice and sheltered...WRONG, the wind changed and we got it full the face (sods law)
It took us both ages to get decent bites. We did catch...eventually, with @sly being close to beating his PB 12lb'er but sadly it was just under at 11lb 8oz (pic 1)..

IMG_20190811_145638.jpg

Earlier he had one at 8lb 8oz (pic 2)...

IMG_20190811_114729.jpg

He also caught a bit of a mixed bag with Bream and Roach.

I made a big mistake in only taking the Carp gear, but plodded on and after a while landed 2 Carp (not weighed. pic 3 and 4)...

IMG_20190811_104609.jpg

IMG_20190811_154132.jpg

I also finished up with a mixed bag of Bream, Roach and Perch. But a surprise fish turned up too, a small 'moggie'. Not very big but put up a good fight (pic 5)..

IMG_20190811_130021.jpg

An interesting day but a windy one. And as previously said...hard going even though the sun was out.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Float tackle was no good at all, sly tried it. I made a slight alteration to one of my Carp rods by putting a 14 hook on and trying for the silvers and it worked to some degree but not ideal, then again neither was the weather.

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
the old adage"went loaded for bear and found only rabbit"summed the day up perfectly,i know just because they advertise fish up to a certain weight are there it dont mean we are going to catch them,but if i wanted to catch 10lb carp i could have caught them a lot closer to home than messingham,so yes a bit of a dissapointment.
the wind didn`t help matters neither did the fact that the better looking pegs were reserved,so we opted for a double peg,by this time we had sussed that we didn`t have a small landing net between us and that i had forgotten various stuffs,which with thanks to @ukzero1 meant i could proceed with fishing,10mm halibut pellet and 15mm tutti fruity boillies were my weapons of choice cast both rods out and waited and waited and waited,an hour or so in 4 beeps from my alarm then nothing reeled in and a small bream was on,by the time i had got my carp net ready it flipped me the fin and swam off,recast both rods not long after a screaming run and my first carp landed after that nothing for ages whilst Pete was catching bits and pieces then hit a couple of good carp,as i was doing naff all i put a float on to try the margin with sweetcorn major failure so i resorted to going on method feeder rod and had a bigger carp than my first one,missed a few and hit a few bites a small skimmer a small bream and a decent roach,the highlight of the day was Pete landing a catfish :poop::geek: so congrats to him not that i was jealous or owt.
Al in all a pretty poor day,but as per usual the mick taking and abuse helped the day go a lot better,would i go back there?not to the north lake next time it will be the south lake.
The peg and the roach

IMG_20190811_094516.jpg

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I think you need a bigger (wider) rod pod Pete:oops::rolleyes::giggle:

I bought that rod pod for a reason mate. Sometimes wifey comes with me on carping sessions and that one holds 4 rods, no need for 2 separate pods. It also comes with longer, extendable front legs for rivers. It's the Prologic Tri-Sky.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Well done both of you. Nice little moggy that Peter. Ive not had one myself. Another for the bucket list.