Messing up at work?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
As an electrical contractor made a wrong connection in a distribution panel at Leeds infirmary. Caused a fault surge that went back to the mains switch room. Half the hospital without power as the stand by generator failed. Made the front page of the Yorkshire post, luckily the big inquest was About the generator failure.

I worked for a Property developer and he had bought a house at auction and we were to renovate it. Anyway i got in touch with the sparky and we went in, it had been used as a Canabis farm and the Main had been tampered with, the spark looked it over and switched it on Bingo lights worked the lot 10 mins later i see smoke coming from under the stairs taking a look i see sparks and Crackling, needless to say i shouted the sparky he whacked it off with a stick and a complete rewire was ordered.

HawkerMan

Site Supporter
I was told to do a fuel transfer check from the wings to dorsal tank on a private jet and didn't notice someone hadn't re-fitted an access panel.
I was in the cockpit timing the transfer which normally took 9 minutes, when the indicator hadn't gone to full after 11 minutes I heard someone shouting, looked out to find I'd flooded the hangar with fuel. It was a Saturday morning and only a couple of people in the hangar. It took the fire service all weekend to clean up and make it safe.

tikkaman

40yrs ago, painter I knew whilst burning off old paint, burnt down the council cricket pavilion. He then booked in 3hrs overtime helping the firemen. Believe it or not, the council wages dept paid him!

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Early days in my railway adventures I was a shunter. One Friday night I was in charge of a propelling movement with a van when we came to an rather shuddering stop. "Funny" I thought. Went around to the other side and.........
having failed to check to facing points in the carriage sidings the van had sideswiped into a coach. Not just any coach, oh no. A buffet coach and on the kitchen side too. Opened it up like a sardine can.
That was my first and only form 1 (railwaymen will know) and stayed with me until the end as it was a "technical offence".

TrickyD

Site Supporter
When I was an apprentice, we spent 2 days fitting a water heater, only to find out later it was in the wrong house. Woman never said a word. Done a similar thing ,ie, worked in wrong house, but only servicing boilers.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I was responsible for an internal account that "lost" a billion pounds for a few days. Caused by a computer programming oversight. Still had a dry mouth when I had to explain it to the director in charge of the building.

I have made numerous mistakes and errors but as my first manager told me "There are only two kinds of people that don't make mistakes, geniuses and people who do nothing."

As I used to tell my staff, if we make a mistake no one dies. So don't let errors stop you from doing your job and trying improvements to it. My view was that if someone made a mistake then it was my fault for a) giving the job to the wrong person b) not giving them sufficient training or c) not giving them the right tools or resources including time.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I've witnessed many a cock up in my time in the motor trade. At the Audi dealership I worked at, we had the first two Audi Quattro's delivered to us written off. The first by the sales manager on the first-ever drive in it. He was driving along at speed and wondered what the lever called Diff Lock did.Deployed it, and took a high speed corner.Or rather didn't take the corner, because the Diff Lock stops most of the movement of the steering. Straight through a hedge over a drainage ditch and rolled 4 times. And walked away. The second Quattro was put on a rolling road by a mechanic who forgot it was 4 wheel drive and drove it through a wall.
I've seen several salesmen lean in through the window of a car in the showroom to start it, and found it's in gear, has started and driven through the showroom windows.
When Volvo introduced the first City Safety system on the XC60, we were encouraged on an introduction course to test it out by driving at a shiny board at a speed of 30 mph and not breaking. The car detects the obstacle and performs an emergency stop. A bit later we heard a thud and a scream. Two of the delegates had tried it out by one standing in front of the car and the other driving at him. And he got run over. The early City Safety system was designed to stop rear ending another car at town speeds. It used sensors to beam light forward and sense the reflection of the car paint in front. Volvo dealer delegates aren't very shiny. Luckily if your going to get run over, then you want it to be a Volvo. The bonnet springs up to cushion the impact, external airbag cushions deploy over the windscreen to soften the blow and bumper height is just right to hit you across the shins, so ankle and knee injuries are avoided. The delegate was very bruised by his experience, but no broken bones.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
had a couple of major ones, one my fault and the other not my fault.

So back around 1996 in my first job we were moving the IT cabinet from 3rd to 1st floor of a building, was based on memotec chassis back then which was a very large 12 slot chassis which you slow networking/X25 cards into, so it was my 3rd week there and helping as a basic IT person and i decided to carry the chassis down the stairs, all by myself! to save time as the other guy was away doing something else.

So made the first flight of steps fine then i dropped the chassis and it literally destroyed itself by bouncing down 2 flights of stairs, it was smashed to bits and i thought i was going to get sacked but luckily we had another chassis and cards in another building and i had a final written warning but kept my job!

Second one was we were flooding a building with cat5 cabling and were deploying and terminating around 500 ports. I was in the comms room terminating the ports onto the boards and did all 500 with 5 other people going around to the outlets and desks and terminating that end. Got all the ports done on Saturday and then Sunday was testing so again i was in the comms room with a Fluke and then radio to one other person as we tested each port, everything was great till we started having a hole floor area of incorrect results, we knew from the plan that 1 member of the team did all these ports in that area on the Saturday and i was getting consistent errors for each port, so the other guy looked at the termination and every port had the orange and blue cables (might have been others but cant remember) which were swapped. So we called the bloke who did it and turn out he is bloody colour blind!!!! so he got every port he did wrong lol, was funny but one hell of a long day fixing them all.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
oh and another, back around 1997/2000 i was working at a insurance company, was sat in the purpose made data center installing a bunch of kit and configuring it when a siren went off and orange lights started to go off and then this loud rumbling noise started, the bloke with me came running from behind the cabinet, grabbed me by my collar and half dragged me to the exit as this rumbling turned into like steam vents going off all around the data center.

The steam was the Halon fire suppressant which was the bad type of Halon used back then which removes the oxygen from the air as a fire suppressant, some numpty was working on the air con cleaning it and forgot to isolate the system so when he blew air into the vent it set off the fire system!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Some of our longer members might remember back in 2002/3 when our then hosting company phyaically relocated from Glasgow to London.
Our server was sent by overnight courier to be connected to the new data centre and successfully made the trip, however on handover someone dropped it breaking it.
Luckily everything was backed up prior to the move so our hosts hurriedly deployed a new server and installed the backup.

I think we were down about 3hours more than planned that day ?

davej1981

Worst i done was as a mobility engineer. A customer came in late on a Friday demanding their wheelchair was repaired as they needed it for the weekend. The quick release spindle needing replacing so i grabbed one from another wheel chair and put it on. Came in on the Monday and got a warning. Turned out id grabbed the wrong spindle which was too short. This resulted in the wheel falling off deposting the disabled customer into a field.
Another mistake caused by a customer caused me some grief. Came into work and 2 policemen were waiting for me and arrested me on suspicion of theft. Spent the day at the police being interviewed before being released without charge. A lady had lost some jewellery in her house and had accused me of stealing it. About a year later the police called my boss to tell them the lady had found the missing items while cleaning! She never apologised

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've witnessed many a cock up in my time in the motor trade. At the Audi dealership I worked at, we had the first two Audi Quattro's delivered to us written off. The first by the sales manager on the first-ever drive in it. He was driving along at speed and wondered what the lever called Diff Lock did.Deployed it, and took a high speed corner.Or rather didn't take the corner, because the Diff Lock stops most of the movement of the steering. Straight through a hedge over a drainage ditch and rolled 4 times. And walked away. The second Quattro was put on a rolling road by a mechanic who forgot it was 4 wheel drive and drove it through a wall.
I've seen several salesmen lean in through the window of a car in the showroom to start it, and found it's in gear, has started and driven through the showroom windows.
When Volvo introduced the first City Safety system on the XC60, we were encouraged on an introduction course to test it out by driving at a shiny board at a speed of 30 mph and not breaking. The car detects the obstacle and performs an emergency stop. A bit later we heard a thud and a scream. Two of the delegates had tried it out by one standing in front of the car and the other driving at him. And he got run over. The early City Safety system was designed to stop rear ending another car at town speeds. It used sensors to beam light forward and sense the reflection of the car paint in front. Volvo dealer delegates aren't very shiny. Luckily if your going to get run over, then you want it to be a Volvo. The bonnet springs up to cushion the impact, external airbag cushions deploy over the windscreen to soften the blow and bumper height is just right to hit you across the shins, so ankle and knee injuries are avoided. The delegate was very bruised by his experience, but no broken bones.

I went off the road in a ford ranger with that diff lock palaver, the foreman had parked it up on the track like it, told me to move it I drove it hundred yard down and went straight into the hedge on the opposite side,

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
As a young single Catering Manager at the Marie Curie Hospice in Bradford I once dated a beautiful nurse. All was going well until her husband found out a fortnight later ?

stikflote

Site Supporter
As Guard on Railway wewent to sidings to pick up a train of wagons,went back to driver told how many
dolly came off and away went some silly guard had coupled engine to to the wagons, another form one ,even tho the superintendent

couldnt stop laughing, he did say i wasnt the first to do it

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
Several years ago we had an IT system that for 3 or 4 weeks would power itself off at roughly the same time, 20 minutes or so later it would start back up again. As it was in a huge data centre by the time we got someone to it nothing could be seen. After the 3rd or 4th time we had someone stand near the system, along came the cleaner unplugged the system so she could vacuum, 15 - 20 minutes later unplugged the vaccum and plugged the system back in.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Messed up 360 barrels of beer 1 barrel 360 pints 360×360=129,600 pints of ale, in all fairness it should not of been able to happen and procedures changed very quickly, bout the biggest, but I have many. Over the years. I know I should be shot just for the waste.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
My first job in TV was working on "The Diary of Anne Frank". My old man was a scenic artist (painter) and I had been given the job of labourer.
There was a good gang of artists and there was plenty of brush washing to be done but with the lack of somewhere to safely dispose of the white spirit, and meths I was just pouring it into the toilet...
Alan, one of the painters, liked to take his tea break on the bog. Cuppa and a newspaper whilst doing his business.
He also smoked..
Whilst we were all just relaxing and enjoying a nice tea there was this massive BANG! :poop:
We rushed to the toilet, water and s*it everywhere but we couldn't open the cubicle door.
Dad kicked it in and there was Alan, out cold, I'm sure the door smacking him in the head didn't help..
He was out cold, trousers round his ankles, not a good sight. I was shitting myself thinking I had killed him!
The force of the blast had sent him head first into the cubicle door, there he was, half naked, covered in a concoction of s*it and the Sun newspaper.
The ambulance crew arrived.. Got him on a stretcher, picked him up, slipped and dropped him straight back onto the floor... Steadying themselves they tried again, slipped and fell. The poor fella!
Arm and a leg each we dragged poor Alan out, a sight that still haunts me as I had the leg end!
Onto the stretcher and away he went!

He didn't come back to work on that job for some reason?? Happily enough he was ok though the times he was told to "Bog off" did start to irritate him somewhat.

Munchy

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Messed up 360 barrels of beer 1 barrel 360 pints 360×360=129,600 pints of ale, in all fairness it should not of been able to happen and procedures changed very quickly, bout the biggest, but I have many. Over the years. I know I should be shot just for the waste.
Glad they've stopped doing them things now. Wouldn't fancy humping them round the cellar. Biggest is a 22 gallon these days.

Total

Site Supporter
My first job in TV was working on "The Diary of Anne Frank". My old man was a scenic artist (painter) and I had been given the job of labourer.
There was a good gang of artists and there was plenty of brush washing to be done but with the lack of somewhere to safely dispose of the white spirit, and meths I was just pouring it into the toilet...
Alan, one of the painters, liked to take his tea break on the bog. Cuppa and a newspaper whilst doing his business.
He also smoked..
Whilst we were all just relaxing and enjoying a nice tea there was this massive BANG! :poop:
We rushed to the toilet, water and s*it everywhere but we couldn't open the cubicle door.
Dad kicked it in and there was Alan, out cold, I'm sure the door smacking him in the head didn't help..
He was out cold, trousers round his ankles, not a good sight. I was shitting myself thinking I had killed him!
The force of the blast had sent him head first into the cubicle door, there he was, half naked, covered in a concoction of s*it and the Sun newspaper.
The ambulance crew arrived.. Got him on a stretcher, picked him up, slipped and dropped him straight back onto the floor... Steadying themselves they tried again, slipped and fell. The poor fella!
Arm and a leg each we dragged poor Alan out, a sight that still haunts me as I had the leg end!
Onto the stretcher and away he went!

He didn't come back to work on that job for some reason?? Happily enough he was ok though the times he was told to "Bog off" did start to irritate him somewhat.

Munchy

^^:giggle:....... Just knew there was more to your avatar photo!;):ROFLMAO: