Messing up at work?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Did hear of a right old work balls up the other day. I was speaking to a customer who sold a boat and engine package onto shall we say a well known harbour authority who then took it for a spin without putting the drainage bungs in. Unsurprisingly a fair bit of water ended up against the transom which then flooded the engine and essentially sunk the boat ?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
In our warehouse, a picking mistake was a final written warning or out if gross negligence was proven... in Pharma GMS, you mess, up someone can die and the site loses its licence to produce... did it once, but got off as it was a packaging error and not an active or bulk... sharpens ones attention to detail I tells thee

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
Once had a jag in the workshop and one of the lads drains the rear axle as it was limited slip. But left it over lunch, lowered it off the ramp for road test coming back up the road after about 10 mins and the rear axle sized on a roundabout and spun it in to the middle of it.

I have driven a car off the ramps after a service and pad change and forgot to pump the brakes and run in to the workshop wall.

One technician drove a brand new Toyota Supra off a four post ramp and on to the top of a new MR 2 that was supposed be being picked up that afternoon

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
More of a horror story this one. Client had been complaining of water running down a wall in the kitchen diner. The house had been rented out for quite some time as a HMO and despite re sealing the bath several times the leak persisted... It was good fortune that I turned up when I did as someone could quite easily have fallen through...

Attachments

• ARR1.mp4
    34.3 MB · Views: 0

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
When I was an apprentice at the pit I was working in the surface fitting shop and I was asked to make a couple of hundred cable hangers for in the shaft. I cut 200 lengths of inch and a quarter round bar, 2ft long, and put 3 inch of thread on each end using a thread machine. These were then sent to the blacksmiths and bent into a U shape. I had not tried a nut on them and the thread was not quite deep enough. Unfortunately as they had been bent they would no longer fit in the machine. I had to do everyone again with a die nut and big spanner. I ended up with arms like Popeye.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
At a military base somewhere in Britain something was left by someone somewhere to be picked up later on. Someone else found this 'something' and considered it suspicious. Many other people on this military base also found it suspicious so they cordoned off a great big chunk of this military base causing much disruption to administration, medical, supply and engineering buildings and also the United States Naval Facility also based at this military establishment. It was considered so suspicious the British Army bomb squad was called to deal with it. This British military base was effectively 'out of use' for the best part of 8 hours. If the 'someone' who had placed this package had been discovered he would have been in some serious schitt, serious serious schitt.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
There wasn’t too much room to make serious mistakes when I worked on machinery electrics. When you did make a mistake, even a small one, it could result in a colossal smash up costing a fortune. I won’t say it never happened to me but it wasn’t a regular occurrence. The thing I did regularly was beggar off home and leave the padlock on the isolator. Even though I’d completely finished the job.

The worst (and funniest) stuff I saw was when I was fresh out of school and working as a motor mechanic. I once saw a lad drive a reliant robin over a pit which never goes well. I saw a one month old Vauxhall Cavalier fall off a ramp and almost land on the office girl on her way to the toilet.

One lad drilled a panel on a bus and went straight into a rubber heater hose. Getting to it would have been a three day job as it was all coach built stuff so he bunged in a pop rivet through panel and hose before anyone noticed. He only mentioned it in passing a week later.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
There were four of us called out to the operating theatre in the middle of the night for a life saving tracheostomy operation, surgeon, anaesthetist and two nurses, of which I was one. Operation completed, we were chatting and clearing down, when a nurse, finding a syringe half full of water, decided to squirt it at the surgeon. The surgeon retaliated with a larger syringe and a full scale water battle ensued with basins and buckets brought into play. Much water lying around on the floor. Unfortunately, some of this water found its way into the department below, the x ray dept full of electrical stuff. Arrived on duty next day to discover the x ray dept closed due to a mysterious water leak that no one could trace. No one died - I hope:rolleyes:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Was a couple funny mess ups on a course I did at work beginning of this year. Was working on this engine, did all the checks, started it up and oil starting peeing everywhere. Thought of cr*p a lines gone or the sump or pump have failed but turned out someone had just nicked the dipstick! Then on another engine that someone else was working on he checked the spark with one of those little box things that you put in the circuit so you can see the spark. Problem was the one he used was faulty so the spark jumped to the metal work bench and shocked the couple blokes leaning on it!

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Have you ever messed up something at work, made mistakes that got you in trouble?

A couple of things I've done recently for the same agent that gives me a lot of work that have been playing on my mind.

1) Did a checkout inspection for them. Tenant had done the house up a bit and I remember from doing the inventory he'd left it in better condition than what he received it, so I whizzed round with the inventory and stated a lot of things were 'as per inventory'. Turns out the landlord had sold on a few items from the shed, strimmer, lawnmower, leaf blower etc and I put 'as per inventory' so he wasn't very happy about that. He also wants me to check the loft. The loft wasn't on the inventory so I didn't. Standard procedure for me. I've been doing a few 'viewings' at this house so been there a few times and there's no pole to access the loft hatch. Landlord is adamant it's under the stairs so wants me to go back to check the loft.

2) Big mistake this one. I had to hand over keys to a tenant and part of that is you have to do a 'right to rent' check. This agent never tells the tenant to bring ID so it's 50/50 if the tenant actually brings any. It's meant to be a Passport or a Driving License and some other form of ID like Birth Certificate or Utility Bill. I was in a bit of a rush at this one, had driven all the way to Coventry to do the job, so when the tenant pulled out his British Army ID card I just photographed that, handed over the keys and moved on as I couldn't be bothered to have to tell him I couldn't hand over the keys.

Both my fault and could be costing me future work with this agent as they're pretty angry about it. Anything you've done similar? Messing up at work?
Many times over the years ,ive drilled pipes ,electrical wires ,copped out hinges on the wrong side of a door ,put my foot through a ceiling . Too many to remember in a long career lol. Measured a door for a porch hadnt thought about the internal step as it wouldnt open fully,costly mistake lol

OldTaff

Site Supporter
My first lorry driving job was on skips for a firm that ran 36 trucks out of the yard. We had a board detailing the much ups & depending where you were on the board determined how scabby a truck you got the following week.

My biggest oopsie moment was on a ro-ro, we all fuelled up at the same service station on the way into our yard which had been closed for a week for refurbishment.

The canopy had a lovely sign saying 15’6” max headroom before the refurb and it was back on there afterwards. I had a 40yd bin on the back making me 14’6” so in I went to the HGV pumps and BANG followed by scratching metal and a sudden stop - yep I had stacked the bin into the shiny new canopy o_O

Queue awkward phone call, transport manager coming out to meet with garage owners, police and fire brigade call out, all my mates driving past providing “helpful” feedback on the radios. Eventually extracted the vehicle, got back to the yard and immediately placed on gardening leave pending a dismissal meeting.

Meeting was a week later (a lot of premium fishing therapy squeezed into that week) expecting the boot to be told I was back in driving from the next Monday despite a repair bill of around £30k - transpired the company changing the canopy had been delivered the wrong supports, didn’t check the canopy clearance and bolted on the old height limit sign so I was golden :giggle:

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
One blisteringly hot day the computer room air conditioning was struggling to cope. As the temperature in the room rose into the high 80s I brought in an ordinary desk fan and positioned it so it would create air flow through the cabinets (a common practice in those days). I switched it on and Pow! the whole server room went down. Apparently the load on the circuit was borderline and the extra fan tipped the breaker. I was not Mr. Popular that day! :LOL:

The Landlord

Site Supporter
When I worked at Unilever in Port Sunlight, I worked in the Transport Office & we had a couple of incidents with our mobile crane. One day, he'd just finished loading a container onto a flatback & the lorry driver pulled off, not knowing that one of the chains was still attached to a corner of the container. Pulled the crane over & the poor crane driver was off sick with stress for a few months.
Not long after the crane driver returned, he was driving through the village....went under a small bridge & drove the jib right through the upper deck of a passing bus which fortunately was empty of passengers!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Classic - raised hydraulic arms/jibs and fixed structures like bridges - so many of these happen

Zerkalo

I'm lucky with my job at the moment that it's not vital I get it right most of the time unlike some more sensitive work. The agents will not actually read my inventory reports other than for the meter readings, checkout reports they will read more to work out how deposit to give back but it's usually straightforward, and I doubt many tenants actually go through the inventory and if they do they can always add their own comments before they sign it.

Freesolo82

Can't say I have ever done anything too bad, my brother was working for a delivery company years ago and left it running while he nipped into a factory reception to drop of a parcel, came out and the van was gone. Needless to say they sacked him on the spot

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Chap I knew was doing some work on his roof. He tied a rope round his waist, threw the other end over the ridge and told his son to tie it off. Half an hour later his wife went to the shops in the car. His son had tied the rope to her rear bumper, she dragged him up the roof, over the other side and halfway up the drive before she realised.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
2 beauties both involving water and My labourers. First on Bradford Telephone exchange My dozy Bro in law left the Tub filling and created a indoor swimming pool, luckily nowt damaged. The second Boots Chemist Albion Street Leeds, we started when it shut and was doing the Photographic and printing areas out. We had to use the fire hose for our water, i told my Labourer to weigh the end down in the Tub "40 gallon" and turn it on slow :oops: Yep he turned it full on it was like a mad snake spiraling about Pizzing water all over the store, Now instead of Turning it off he decided to fight the Hose into the Barrel, believe me them images will last with me till death :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Backwoodsman

Site Supporter
As an electrical contractor made a wrong connection in a distribution panel at Leeds infirmary. Caused a fault surge that went back to the mains switch room. Half the hospital without power as the stand by generator failed. Made the front page of the Yorkshire post, luckily the big inquest was About the generator failure.