message to Bart/Giles re Docklow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Hi, can you please clarify the picture on page 74 of the Match Fishing Docklow article.
It shows a chub being netted on the top 4 section and the Pole forming practically a right angle.
Where is the shallow float that should appear some 18" from the hook if I read correctly?,also if the float is 18" from the tip, where is all the elastic?
Have I missed something, or was the chub caught on a much deeper rig
Thanks

bart4real

Hello,
First of all, that article was filmed last february but the actual feature was written recently, by myself a few weeks prior to that issue. That is why the article is bang up to date! However,with regards to what you refer to in your posting, I maintain that you should always net chub on top 4 sections because of the tendency to dive under the near bank. This means that when the fish breaks the surface, there is no need to lift the whole top kit into the air to net the fish and that is why the angle looks a little weird. You can break down to top threes but I wouldn't recommend it. The elastic I use is set very soft and that is why it appears that I am fishing with a deeper rig. I can assure that the chub in question was caught on the shallow rig I have described as there is no way I would consider fishing any deeper. This method will outfish any angler fishing deeper as I have proved with some very good weights in recent matches. I also tend to go away from the philosophy that you should use big wide gape hooks for shallow fishing. The most popular being Kamasan B611's. These hooks are silver and believe it or not, fish can see them at the depth I fish. Admittedly, I do hook casters in the same way as I would a maggot to maximise the effectiveness of the bolt rig idea, but I use size 20 and 22 hooks and not B611's. That means the elastic has to be soft and I avoid putting excessive pressure on fish which results in hook pulls, hence the weird angle of the pole in that picture.
I hope this helps
Giles

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Thanks Giles, that helps a lot
It just puzzled me as the article was so good.
Just returned from fishing a lake 750ft up iun the pennines and whilst I caught only bits (gudgeon,small 4oz carp etc.) I experimented with a 0.1g 18" rig to a 90340 20 mustad caster hook and caught 3 small roach over the 8.5 ft deep swim I fed with hemp & caster.!
I also tested the tip section at my feet to get the shotting right and caught 2 small Perch 2 ft from the bank!
Ice was forming at the bankside and my pole bag had frosted to the ground whilst this was going on, so you have a true believer here lol.
Just need to find the bigger ones , but I'll keep trying.
Merry Xmas and thanks again

bart4real

Cheers mate,
I hope that helped because the method is not that difficult, only the technique of fishing long with a short line. A lot of anglers won't do it because it involves too much work, other won't do it because they think that fish only feed deep in the colder weather. All I wanted to do with the article was to show that there is a consistent method to catching from a lot of pegs. Once people start to think about their fishing, they start to catch more.
Anyway, thanks again and have a good Christmas.
Giles

Status
Not open for further replies.