Message for anyexcuse & GeoffP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beebs

Hi Guys, as you are involved with the Angling in the Swansea area, can you tell me what ever happened to the lake in Brynmill park?

This was one of the few places I could coarse fish when I lived in Swansea and I seem to remember they closed it to fishing. I walked around it one evening and saw some quite sizeable carp in there, whatever happened to them? Are there still fish in there?

Also, what about Singleton Park boating lake, The Tennant canal and the small pond at Penllegaer? Do you know what these are like these days? I know about the fishery in Pontarddulais and Fendrod lake has come on since, but my first memories of fishing as a youngster were at Brynmill, Singleton & the canal.

I used to fish Penllegaer pond a lot when I was in school because it was only about 3 miles from where I used to live and it had some quite nice perch in there.

I have been reminiscing about my schoolday fishing exploits and know that if I fished these again I would have a lot more success. As usual, all information gratefully received. Cheers, Steve.

DJ.gif

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Steve,

I have never fished Brynmill but I do know that fish have been moved from there to other Brynmill club waters, nor have I fished the boating lake in Singleton Park

Port Tenant canal is run by Skewen angling Club, of which I am a member. Very weedy but some good catches can be made after dragging and baiting. Some nice pike have been caught from there. I much prefer the Neath Canal running up through Briton Ferry to Neath. Nice tench, rudd and perch (as I am sure the other chaps on here are sick of me saying)

Fenrod holds some nice fish, tench, bream and carp. Can be very patchy and I must admit it is not my favourite water. Dave can tell you more about the Brynmill waters as he would fish them more than me.

I fish White Springs at Pontardulais quite often and also Hazel Court near Cowbridge, although I think a water to look out for in future years is Sylen lakes near Llanelli.

If ever you come back this way for a visit, give us a shout and we could revisit some of your old haunts.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

Beebs

quote:
If ever you come back this way for a visit, give us a shout and we could revisit some of your old haunts.

Hi Geoff, will take you up on that offer. I know you don't live far from my parents house, so I'll make it back for a weekend and we can wet a few lines.

I'd like to try and find out what happened to the pond at Penllergaer, because it was totally natural with wild fish. It used to be very weedy, but just before I left to live in England, I'm sure I had heard that there had been attempts to turn it into some kind of fishery. I don't think anyone owned the pond when I was younger, because we never had permits to fish it.

Is the Neath the same canal as the Tennant, or is it a separate waterway?

I am away with work for a few weeks, but when I come home, (sometime in February but exact date is TBA) I'll pop back for a weekend and bring my tackle.

It'll be like being 14 again, buying bait in Mainwarings and going fishing in Swansea!!!! Dave's been there a bit longer than you, Geoff so he should remember when Mainwarings was a tiny little shop by Sketty crossroads and it's only competition was Capstan House!! Blinkin' eck I am getting old![:)][:)]

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Neath and Port Tenant are different canals, different sides of the river.

Port Tenant canal runs from Swansea, through Jersey Marine, up past Llandarcy. Neath Abbey and up towards Glynneath.

Neath canal starts just under the old motorway bridge in Briton Ferry and runs around Neath on the eastern side of the river.

Of course I doubt that Gowerton Course Fishery was there when you lived in Swansea. You haven't missed much there though.

I haven't heard of a pond in Penllegaer, once again I expect Dave might know more, I mean he has been here so long he is nearly Welsh.

I will have to find out more

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

anyexcuse

Hi Beebs
I'll give you a full reply later- Corrie is about to start & the wife's about to pull the plug of the PC.
Catch you later

Dave@Brynmill&DistictAC

anyexcuse

Hi Beebs
Back again. I'm actually the Secretary of Brynmill & District AC but we no longer fish the lake itself. The council wouldnt renew the lease on the late in the early 80's.We were without a home until the early 90's when the council granted us a lease on the Fendrod Lake and Half Round Ponds(aka the Management Pond).
We still use Brynmill Lake as a stock pond, netting it with the EA every couple of years.Had some nice carp out of it as well which are in our new waters.
Singleton Lake has fished well for roach,tench,bream and carp though is peggy and the frosts have probably killed it for now. It's not on our club book but our permit allows us to fish some local council waters that we dont have leases on.
Unfortunately the news isnt so good on Penllergaer Pond(aka the Potato Pond).I can remember it having huge goldfish there in the late 70's and when I fished it more in the 80's, took some cracking perch from it up to 3lb. Back in the 90's, a local angling club took it on. They didnt appear to know much about the lake's makeup and took a JCB to it to do some alterations. They broke the clay seal resulting in the level dropping considerably. It's never recovered and when I last saw it had become a dumping ground.The club then folded.It's a real shame because it was one of those waters that kids learn to fish on but also had some suprises for the adults as well.
Still, all is not lost.If you'd ever been to the Half Round Ponds when you lived here, you'd hardly recognise the place now.BDAC has developed it into an up&coming water very popular with the local kids and of course the adults.
The Fendrod is a difficult water to fish but with some luck you can catch bream to 9lb, tench to 6lb and carp to 20lb.We've got a lot of work still to do on it before it can be classed as a good fishery.I love to fish it though just for the challenge.
I do still remember the old Mainwarings with the barbers out the back.Peter & Rob Mainwaring now run it and they still remain loyal sponsors of our club, the shop now based in the old Trainers Garage premises in Sketty.
If you can get back for a spot of fishing give me a shout. I dare say Geoff and me can come up with somewhere that's fishing - preferably when it's warmer -though it may not necessarily be your haunts of old(unfortunately).
All the best

Dave@Brynmill&DistictAC

Beebs

Thanks for the info guys. That really is sad news about Penllergaer pond as it had survived perfectly well on its own without the need for diggers. It really only required dragging some of the weed and sorting a couple of pegs, because as a natural fishery it was wonderful and indeed a lot of youngsters did learn to fish there.

The embarrasing part is that I think I might know who was responsible as I knew a guy who came back to Wales to live with his parents after a stint in the army. He started to take an interest in the pond and I did hear that he formed some kind of angling club with a view to improving it. Shame its backfired, I have some great memories of fishing there.

When I come home, maybe you guys can shown me a few new haunts. It'll be nice to see how its all changed. I forgot about the barber's out the back of Mainwarings old shop. I'm quite fired up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.