Mental? Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
6th to 7th August 2002

When asked the question Are you mental I have to admit that I pause these days before the automatic denial passes my lips.

Dave had just posed the question and I suppose from his viewpoint (I had just phoned him at midnight and he had learned that I was at the start of a night session on the Dove) it was perhaps a little strange!

However,
Consider these points!
Dave is Always on line around midnight!
I needed a picture, only he could supply!
I had not caught much at our match on Tuesday!
It was a Great night
I wasnt fishing again until Thursday with Mark and had tomorrow afternoon, evening and a late start Thursday to rest!
I had arrived home to find my new reels waiting
Although we all know, but shy away from thinking it, when you are told officially that its later than you think, time takes on a new meaning!
But mostly, I love fishing. The Dove and Barbel!

So, I took it up on the spur of the moment, packed and arrived at my No. 1 swim, just in time to set 1 rod up by 10.00 pm as Darkness fell.
The river was unbelievably back to its normal level!

I left it with water lapping at the meadow at 10.00pm on Friday and now just 4 day later, it had fallen some 8 feet!
Still coloured, I moved 50 yards upstream to my normal swim and set up my 2.5 test carp rod on a bank stick/buzzer /drop off free running bomb link with worm as the bait.

As I set up my second rod, I was vaguely uneasy that this time, I should have sought out a faster water swim, as on this humid night, oxygen levels would be low and the Barbel would be moving yet again!

However, I was familiar with my chosen peg and nighttime is no time for research!
I was relieved, when, before I had even finished setting up the Barbel rod, the Buzzer went off in a sustained run.

I moved quickly to it, struck and felt a good, but not Barbel like) response,
Chub or Trout, I thought, hopefully a PB Perch) but with a sudden slack line, realised I would never know!
A simple hook pull, no tackle or knot weakness reassured me and I re-baited and cast out again.
Finalising the setting up of my Barbel Rod, I used my Braddock flavoured meat and after casting, fired out a pint of hemp and the same of Groats, plus a tin of sweetcorn.
Normally, this would have been the first task, but I needed the remaining light to set up my stall for the night, so put all, non-seeing tasks to the rear of priorities!

Settling back in my chair at about 10.45pm, I sighed contentedly at the warm, still night and poured myself a coffee!
Now all I had to worry about was the choice of swim and would the fish play? I looked up at the glowing night-light clipped on my Barbel rod, glanced right at the, faintly discernable Buzzer rod and felt at peace!

As an aside,
In Braddocks Diaries, He has 3 articles explaining Chris Lyons Moonstrike theories and the importance the moon plays in Barbel feeding patterns.
I have just invested in Chriss annual Peak Days Chart for the 2002/3 Season.
(Full contact points at end of this)
Tonight, a day before the New moon, rubbish changes to Brill! (Grim to Excellent in Chriss own words)
There was no moonlight and a cloud covering, but the ambient light by the river, gave off enough visibility to see the rod!

Is it any wonder then, at 5 minutes to 11 Oclock, the Tip dived to the water and I struck into a Barbel that ran quickly, deeply and powerfully away, with the clutch on my new Cormoran BRS50 Baitunner slowing it down excellently!
(Thanks Angler-Mark, thanks ESOX, see I do listen icon_smile_big.gif )
5 to 11.00 you say! (But it is British Summer Time!)

I netted the fish and moved up to the top of the bank.
The Buzzer screamed on my other rod.
Laying down the net, I struck and a Barbel run ensued! (I had put meat on this on re-baiting)
Again, a slack line as I tried to let my clutch do the work on my Okuma!
Snapped hook length and it was a 10.1 lbs Silstar?
I returned quickly to my fish, weighed and photographed as here!
Datafile.jpg

At just 4 lb 8 ozs, I couldnt believe how he had fought!

I tied a new hook length onto the Buzzer rod, 14.5lb bs to a No. 6 Hook and 20 lb braid mainline!
Yes, Its way over the top, but until I discover how these fish can break 10lb line so easily, I will experiment!

Just before midnight, another run on this rod and another hit and hook pull!

Cursing I rebaited, and settled down to fire in the rest of my particles and promptly snapped the elastic on my catapult!
Resignedly, I heaved in the remaining feed by hand, poured more coffee, sat contentedly listening to the still night, (incredibly rich in sound!) and quietly cursed the insect life that had erupted from the waters edge, when I went down and stood on the reeds to land the fish!
The cloud of midges took ages to re-settle.

I had a silhouetted visitor for Company, as I sat under my tilted back umbrella (thunderstorm warning).
A large spider was laboriously constructing a web from the leading edge of my brolly in response to this flying bonanza, and he dipped and climbed busily against the night sky.
12.35, another scream of protest from the buzzer another hit, another hook pull, damn and double damn.!!

I slept between 1.00 and 3.00 and then carefully re-set all my gear.
Time flew and it didnt seem I had waited until 3.55 am, when the glowing tip jerked frenetically again.
This fish Took Line against the clutch too!
Amazing when you consider it was only around 1 lb in weight!
Datafile.jpg

Quickly unhooked and returned, I was pleased for the future Anglers, that this baby was present!
My smallest yet, unweighed, but very welcome!

I had been discussing the Big Meat theory with Angler-Mark and decided to try a (by my standards) extra large, 3x2x1 chunk of meat on the hook.
Casting it out, I settled back in the chair for less than a minute, as the tip went crazy again and a solid resistance met my strike.
Again, the clutch worked to perfection and after several dives, resistance to upward pulls and frenetic runs, I was able to weigh in this 6lb 9oz beauty.

Datafile.jpg

At 5.20, the cloud cover had a glowing edge from the rising sun and the light had improved, so that my torches were redundant.
Dawn came and I was glad to be here to witness it.

Datafile.jpg

The river was still running off, the light brought a cessation of activity and I reeled in and slept, to be awakened by another Angler about 10.00

Ray Turner (He wishes to be remembered to you Martin) proved to be a very interesting ex-Brummie, now living nr. Coalville, who is as fanatical, (if not more so) than I.
Just returned from a months Welsh fishing for Sea Trout and Salmon, he has fished the North level for Pike, Fly fished, Chased all species, driven miles upon miles AND takes his wife everywhere with him!
She happily sat 50 yards away, in my flood swim peg, whilst Ray and I yarned away.

Eventually, Ray went back and set up a feeder, but not before giving me some very good advice on another Dove stretch, where I have access to, which is less prolific, BUT more likely to produce a double.
So, I hung on, well past the midday deadline I had set myself, as a growing resolve told me to try elsewhere for this fish.
This could be my last visit for a while and so I made the most of my time.
Its later than you think!
Ray and his wife left and almost immediately another Angler dropped into the peg.

He surprised me with the news that he had come from Darley Dale, where he had found the Dewent unfishable due to the high river!
Surprising as both rivers rise relatively close together!
I watched him use a small stick, close in, classically feeding bronze maggot continuously on light tackle and catching the occasional small chub (less than lb, again good news!) and every other cast, a voracious minnow!

Finally, at around 3.00, I regretfully bade farewell to the Dove, having had 15 Barbel come to play now and set off homewards across the meadow.

Before I did, I took these pictures of another new piece of kit (Larry will love this icon_smile_big.gif)
To ensure that my reports are as accurate as possible, you may remember I invested in new scales.
Well for steadiness, I now have this Tripod!

Datafile.jpg
Which is also a 5 station Rod Rest

Datafile.jpg

And folds up to this size.

Datafile.jpg

13.95 from Askari for the Tackle Tart!

All the gates were open, the day was extremely warm and my 18 hours since arrival had passed like 8!!!

As I reached the road, I wondered whether I would ever come here again, as I am determined to try the new waters next time I have a Barbel session and I have so much other fishing planned throughout August.

I do hope so!

Cheers

Trev

PS
I Know the Carp rod problem!!!
Too unforgiving at 2 1/2 lb test curve to braid!!
The strike into a Barbel is too severe!
Next time a feeder rod will cope!

Sites mentioned

Braddock's http://www.braddocksbaits.co.uk/index.html

Chris Lyons, Moonstrike Chart at just 4.75 for this season, contact Chris on
chris@moonstrike.co.uk or visit

http://www.moonstrike.co.uk/

Trev
Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Edited by - Ziptrev on 07 August 2002 10:36:25 PM

Stu Dav

Davi
Trev

You are a real Barbel Basher in my eyes.

I`m with you on the moon phases aswell, its true.

Also that little creature you photographed is a
'Banded Agrion Damselfly'.

Nice One

Stu Dav :)

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Trev,
No you're not mental.............You're Barking!!!
But we wouldn't have you any other way

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
Another fantastic report Trev, as for the question are you mental, I dont think so, but if you are I know of quite afew people on this site that would be in the big house with padded walls with you lol.

Dai Fish

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Trev, once again several points, first breakage of hook lengths. guess what I'm having the same problems but with carp off the top. had 3 carp on and lost all 3 due to the hook length breaking. I'm putting it down to nil stretch in the braid throwing it all on to the nylon and due to the comparative short length it breaks. All along I have had some doubts re braid. I can see that using it could be a big advantage BUT we need to think hard and long before we use it in certain circumstances. For now I'm carrying spare spools with nylon and although thee rods are ready tackled up I'm thinking it through before actually fishing. I do agree that a 2.5 tc rod is a bit ott. I carry a 2lb tc for when the rivers up and pulling. I also have 2 twin tip rods a 1.25 11ft avon and a heavy 12ft feeder rod, using these combinations provides a good variety for varying river conditions. John

chill out go fishing

angler-mark

Trev, I'm really impressed yet again, you never cease to amaze me! As you know archie does his own moon charts and logs every fish caught, when, how, and what temperature the water is and even what baits are taken. He was going on holiday last year, but phoned me and told me to make sure I fished on the Monday night he was away,he also told me that the main feeding spell would be between 8-00pm and 9-45pm. I did fish(on peg 7) and at 8-10pm I caught my PB Barbel of 11lbs-7ozs among a few other fish. Now this type of thing is not coincidence in my book because it has happened around a dozen or so times and each time he has been spot on! Don't get me wrong,I didn't think there was anything in it to begin with, but he has forcast so many times that I will catch at a certain time, that I am sure this method works.

Anyway mate, well done today or should I say yesterday!

Cya in 9 hours time

Tight Lines

Mark

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Stu, Pete, Dai,

Thanks lads,
John,
Same conclusion, but I struggle carrying one rod, let alone 4! LOL
Oh! to be fit again icon_smile.gif
Mark,
Let me please you more then!
When Martin comes on Aug 15th, It's a Full Quarter day in the Excellent Bracket!
I'll suss rise,fall and transits before then!
Should be fun!

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Edited by - Ziptrev on 08 August 2002 01:28:06 AM

Wey Back

Suvern Softee!
Trev,
Great report as usual makes interesting reading seems you had a busy time.

I was interested in the tripod support for your scales it is something I have been looking for so thanks for putting that in.

Have recently brought the same scale set as yours and on checking them out found them to be accurate, the maximum error found across the range was 28 gramme at the 5kg point good for that type of scale.

Hope you get many fish that take them to the limit, and beyond!
Cheers,
Mick.
(Not an anorak on scales, but a Calibration Engineer)

Go Maggotdrowning in 1066 Country

martin.

Account Locked
hi trev.
glad you had another good session (but im moore jealous now LOL)
im waiting with anticipation for next thur.
glad you met ray i hadnt seen him for a while

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

norm

trev -----------
im saying nowt (mussles)oooooopppppps sory mateicon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_wink.gif
WHO`S PEG CAN I CAST INTO?

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Trev I missed out the diawa twin tip rod for light legering. Just cos I've got em doesnt mean I carry em. Just that these 4 rods give me a wide range to suit conditions and quarry. The best of the bunch is the John Wilson avon I've taken carp to 16+ on it but it doesnt like big feeders.

chill out go fishing

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Mick,
Thanks, you can calibrate mine one day, but 'til then, I'll reprt the dial, but tell myself they weigh light LOL,
Here's the link to where I bought the tripod https://www.angelsport.de/cgi-bin/askari.storefront/EN
(cheapest one as usual icon_smile.gif

Norm, congrats again dad!, but keep your mussels LOL. (they tell me they,ve been using them so long around here that they are blown icon_smile.gif

Martin, its a good moon day on thursday! cya (let meknow time etc., Mark is pre-baiting you up!

John, choose wisely and don't leave your others in the car and get 'em nicked like me!icon_smile_big.gif

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Status
Not open for further replies.