Mental carp

Sportsman

Went to my newly discovered free lake, for the second time. Had an interesting time, with 9 carp hooked and 4 landed, 3 hook pulls and 2 broken hook lengths. Hooks were Kaizen 12 to 0.20. on the waggler.
Losses all happened within a few seconds of the hookup, as they tried to get into a semi submerged bush. Their speed and power was unreal, even once you got them into open water they were taking line against the clutch and going on screaming runs.
The point is that these fish only weighed 3lb or 4lb.
I was talking to the owner of the lake, whose family had owned the property for more than 40 years and he was sure the lake had never been stocked in that time.
All of the carp look the same, all lean commons, no mirrors and no fish over 6lb.
Could they be genuine wildies? From pictures I have seen, I would say it's possible.
The fish in the photo was the smallest today, about 2-3lb. The rest were like peas in a pod, biggest about 5lb.
2nd image is from the wild carp trust
carp.png

Attachments

• wild.png
    wild.png
    935.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Wildies are mental. Can't confirm myself though. I think you're looking for the attributes you describe and no shoulder behind head.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
It certainly looks like a Wildie... but true wildies are few and far between... but they go utterly bonkers when hooked

booboo

Site Supporter
Could be wildies but all carp are going off like trains with the warm weather. I've found myself using elastics/line/hooks the last couple of weeks that usually only get action as margin rigs.
Wild or not that's a beautiful fish

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Having looked at the photo and given your location in rural France and what you've found out from the owner, I would expect that they are as close to "Wildies" as you're likely to find Dave. :upthumb:

Sportsman

I looked on the Wild Carp trust website for identification and they seem to fit pretty exactly.
From their site

Wild-like carp, major reversion​

• Minimal notch or hump where the head meets the shoulders
  • Long streamlined, torpedo-shaped body, tapering towards the tail
  • Often has a very blunt ‘snout’ to the face, especially in male fish
  • Small mouth with relatively short barbules
  • Pointed, noticeably-forked tail, fins often appear large for the size of fish.
  • Older fish may have dull brassy rather than golden scales
  • Rarely grows to more than 5lbs

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Pound for pound probably the hardest fighting coarse fish. When we used to catch them I had limited information online and places, we used to mistakenly call them Grass Carp, which I later learned was a different thing entirely.

Sportsman

I had a friend fishing with me yesterday, an out and out match man.
His pellet over pellet approach wasn't as effective as my sweetcorn over groundbait and hemp approach.
He hooked 2 carp. The first on the feeder broke him within 3 seconds of picking the rod up. The takes are savage, the rod just arcing over in the classic 3' twitch.
He landed the second on the pole after a long protracted fight.
When he first hooked it, he thought it was a double. It was a 3lb. He could not believe it.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Went to my newly discovered free lake, for the second time. Had an interesting time, with 9 carp hooked and 4 landed, 3 hook pulls and 2 broken hook lengths. Hooks were Kaizen 12 to 0.20. on the waggler.
Losses all happened within a few seconds of the hookup, as they tried to get into a semi submerged bush. Their speed and power was unreal, even once you got them into open water they were taking line against the clutch and going on screaming runs.
The point is that these fish only weighed 3lb or 4lb.
I was talking to the owner of the lake, whose family had owned the property for more than 40 years and he was sure the lake had never been stocked in that time.
All of the carp look the same, all lean commons, no mirrors and no fish over 6lb.
Could they be genuine wildies? From pictures I have seen, I would say it's possible.
The fish in the photo was the smallest today, about 2-3lb. The rest were like peas in a pod, biggest about 5lb.
2nd image is from the wild carp trust
carp.png
I reckons that that's as near a wildie as you're going to get. The forked and sharply pointed tail, the lack of a "hump", the relatively slim body, the description of a mental fight.............. The only thing is that one has long barbules.

Sportsman

I reckons that that's as near a wildie as you're going to get. The forked and sharply pointed tail, the lack of a "hump", the relatively slim body, the description of a mental fight.............. The only thing is that one has long barbules.
Well No one's perfect :LOL:

Sportsman

I feel extremely lucky to have this 15mins down the road, I can see me getting a bit preoccupied with this, whether they are true wildies or not.
They are a blast to hook, now I jut need to work out how to land a few more:D

badgerale

You could contact here Wild Carp Trust | Helping to Conserve the Oldest Strains of Carp and see if they will confirm. Something to treasure if they are Willdies as nothing fights like them, I've only ever known and fished one lake with them.
That was an interesting site.

"“Is this a wild carp?” That’s the question we’re asked more than any other by anglers sending us a photo of a lean-looking carp. The answer, 99.9% of the time, is: “No, it’s not a wild carp. Unless the angler has been fishing a river that drains into the Black, Aral or Caspian Sea, or holds a privileged position at a research institute or living gene bank, they’ve almost certainly not caught a wild carp. ”"

I also like their distinction between a wild and a feral carp - which has occurred to me when people go on about catching 'wildies'.

"a wild carp is the true, original species carp. It’s the pure-bred ancestor of the carp that we have today. It is not simply a carp that was spawned in the wild. Those we find in the wild these days are more likely to be feral carp, descendants of once-cultivated strains."

It makes me think of the difference between a wild boar and a feral pig. Many generations of living feral in Australia or North America and the pigs start looking kind of boar-like but they are actually descended from domestic pigs.

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That was an interesting site.

"“Is this a wild carp?” That’s the question we’re asked more than any other by anglers sending us a photo of a lean-looking carp. The answer, 99.9% of the time, is: “No, it’s not a wild carp. Unless the angler has been fishing a river that drains into the Black, Aral or Caspian Sea, or holds a privileged position at a research institute or living gene bank, they’ve almost certainly not caught a wild carp. ”"

I also like their distinction between a wild and a feral carp - which has occurred to me when people go on about catching 'wildies'.

"a wild carp is the true, original species carp. It’s the pure-bred ancestor of the carp that we have today. It is not simply a carp that was spawned in the wild. Those we find in the wild these days are more likely to be feral carp, descendants of once-cultivated strains."

It makes me think of the difference a wild boar and a feral pig. Many generations of living feral in Australia or North America and the pigs start looking kind of boar-like but they are actually descended from domestic pigs.
I've made threads on Wild Carp before and was even told "There's no such thing as Wild Carp in the UK".

The fish I called Wildies when I caught them were from a private pond in suburban Birmingham on the Cadbury Estate in Bournville. My dad had access to it as a Cadbury worker and you used to have to pick up keys for the gate from the factory.

It would have been stocked when the estate was built just before the turn of the 20th century. The fish we caught were so different to King Carp that we would mistakenly call them Grass Carp. I'm trying to get access to it again as it's been so long since I've fished it, I'd like to see if the fish are how I remember them and not infact Feral Carp.

That might be a problem though, as the lake itself was losing water. Apparently Cadbury 'illegally' rigged up a pipe fed from a local brook to maintain the levels.

The lake itself was shallow and choked with weed so the only way to catch the fish was with 10lb line and floating baits. Not particularly difficult to catch but the hardest fighting fish I've caught.

Used to get picked up from school in Bartley Green and go and fish it of an evening with my dad.