Mending floats (paint cracking)

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I have been sorting through some of my old floats, wagglers,sticks, some pole floats, and on a few the paint has started to crack. I've read of people using nail varnis on floats, more specifically, hard as nails. I've had a look on the bay of e's, and there seems to be several types of this hard as nails. Anyone know which one, or an alternative, a lot of these floats are unused, just been sitting in the shed for years.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I used to use Helly Hanson but it's not that hard, Ronseal diamond hard floor varnish was better.
Sally Hansen is the one I saw, but there were a few different types of clear varnish from her, all I need it for is to make the floats watertight.Just seen the price of the Ronseal stuff?.Would nail varnish be any use for pole joints, like the Preston joint save that was around a few years ago ?

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Sally Hansen, that's the one, the Ronseal floor varnish I bought was in a 75ml sample pot, was about £6,don't know about using it on pole joints.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
How weird, I have just spent an afternoon sanding off and tidy'ing paint on a few floats, prior to repainting and applying laquer

Im useing Sikkens semi matt floor finish laquer, because I have a fair few tins of that or similar sitting around left over from work projects

TrickyD

Site Supporter
How weird, I have just spent an afternoon sanding off and tidy'ing paint on a few floats, prior to repainting and applying laquer

Im useing Sikkens semi matt floor finish laquer, because I have a fair few tins of that or similar sitting around left over from work projects
I don't intend to go mad, these are just crazed/split through age, some haven't been used, just want to coat them with no other preparation to make them watertight.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I don't intend to go mad, these are just crazed/split through age, some haven't been used, just want to coat them with no other preparation to make them watertight.

Im repairing, cleaning and repainting some older, not now available vintage floats, got nowt else to do at the moment

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Im repairing, cleaning and repainting some older, not now available vintage floats, got nowt else to do at the moment
There's some older floats on ebay, seem to be making silly money, some look worse than mine.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
There's some older floats on ebay, seem to be making silly money, some look worse than mine.

Im hoping for a pecuniary advantage to some of these after the refurb

got a lot that just required a wipe over, but the older cork and quill ones deserved a bit of love

BTW any relatively decent polyurethane laquer will do the job

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I usually strip the float right back, re-sand, a couple of coats of sanding sealer and re-paint. If the paint has cracked then so will any coating under the paint. If it's a float I've made for myself before, then I'll just bin it and make a few more.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I just use the cheapest nail varnish I can find. I use both clear and black. Works for me.

adriang

Site Supporter
I repair mine with a water based acrylic varnish I got from eBay or Amazon, called DecoArt. I also use it for making floats.

buygoodtackle

Nail varnish does waterproof the floats. All the floats I make are not painted but given 2/3 coats of nail varnish (not gel) in whatever colour I fancy and never had any ship water!