Memories of the past prompt ideas for the future.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I well remember all the controversy about dying swans which led to the ban on lead shot. I then got to thinking about how shot is made; companies like Dinsmore, do they manufacture in the uk or is it made abroad and imported? It would be nice if we could organise, through the forum, educational trips to some manufacturers to see how Rods, Reels, Poles, shot etc are produced.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I'm all for that, but some manufacturers regardless of what they make, like to keep things under wraps for fear of the competition. If going to a place like Maver for example, then going to Daiwa and saying..."Maver don't do it that way, they do it this way"...ermm..oh dear.

Zerkalo

Was thinking about where tackle was made the other day and I was also watching a John Wilson video where he mentioned the lead shot ban and all the surrounding controversy. He was for the ban saying it made no difference to his fishing.

Bullmoose Jackson

Lead shot are still legal to use here in Ireland and it's great...they work brilliantly. I find it very hard to go back to the non-toxic alternatives on the odd occasion that I have to do so

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Not an issue for me really, lead, non lead... there'll be summat else to use and then someone'll pop up and say it blinds kittens or summat, so they'll look for something else and then we'll have a replacement that causes yer wingo to drop off or summat, so they...... weeeeeelll you see how it works :p :cool:

rudd

Site Supporter
I well remember all the controversy about dying swans which led to the ban on lead shot. I then got to thinking about how shot is made; companies like Dinsmore, do they manufacture in the uk or is it made abroad and imported? It would be nice if we could organise, through the forum, educational trips to some manufacturers to see how Rods, Reels, Poles, shot etc are produced.
long way to the far east or sub continent!

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I remember many years ago doing some gas work at the Pegly Davis (PDQ) place at Hersham. No idea if anything was made there, but the warehouse was rammed with goodies.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
They can't shoot lead over "wetlands", ie, places waterfowl may be feeding.