Melbury Reservior

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Had a session on Melbury yesterday which is a short drive from my house, large span of water within a a valley.

The reservoir holds Big Carp, these are mainly fished for, also has Bream to 8lbs, big Roach to 4lb and big Perch to 5lbs. At the moment i have been targeting the Skimmers/Bream, we seem to be having some extreme weather with strong winds. So pole fishing has been impossible, focused on the method for the last few outings fishing 30 metres onto the gravel beds.
Yesterday i managed to get the peg i wanted, lovely open peg in the middle of the lake. 20 foot of water in the middle. at 30 metres about 12ft deep. Started by putting 6 feeder full of 2mm pellets, skimmers seem to love these with all the Carp anglers spodding in pellets etc. I have fished open end groundbait feeder but found method works better. Also decided to try Bomb and pellet to see if i could catch shorter. So set up 2 rods.

Started on the method with 8mm mainline pineapple dumbbell casting every 5 mins to get some bait down, also firing in 6mm pellets at 20 metres. No bites for 1.5 hours but then the fish started to come onto the feed, had a steady few hours catching 17 skimmers between 1lb and 3lb. Then had 4 on the bomb and 6mm pellet which was pleasing. Was catching well until the Carp angler next to me moved to the right of me and started to smash in the boilies. Not to worry i had a decent few hours.

Next stop Tamar or might go back to Melbury on the pole with worm and caster to see if any of the big Roach and Perch want to play.

drw

Site Supporter
Where is Melbury Reservoir ? I can’t find it on google maps !

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
Where is Melbury Reservoir ? I can’t find it on google maps !