medusa

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
i have ordered a maver medusa and feel the need to ask for advice re elasticating it.It comes with 3 long top 2s for carp and a match top 3.i have also ordered an extra match top three making 5 tops in total.how would you elasticate them.i fish a variety of venues from canal to drayton res.and need to cover every eventuality.Any help accepted.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Keith,
I would not presume to tell you what elastics to put in your new pole,but a couple of points that might be of help.
Firstly make sure that all the kits are cut back to the same length,this includes the cupping kit.You would be surprised how many people have kits of different lengths.It may not be so critical in the summer,but in the winter when the going gets hard it can make all the difference if you are not fishing bang on your feed.
Secondly,dont try saving a couple of inches of carbon when cutting back the topsets.The further you cut them back,the less they will bend,thus there will be less elastic rubbing on the inside of the pole,allowing the elastic to work better with less friction.If in doubt go up a bush size.Light elastic's work better with larger bushes if anything,as there is less chance of them getting blocked by a bit of dirt/mud.
You may also want to consider using the Vespre/Preston bungs with the built in winders when elasticating the kits as these allow you to adjust the tension on the elastic easily,and allow you enough elastic in reserve should you need to retie the elastic at the stonfo connector.(the most common place for the elastic to wear/weaken)
I hope this is of some use,and that i am not teaching you to suck eggs...LOL
How about a review of your new pole when you have used it a few times icon_smile_question.gif
Good luck and all the best,
Peter.

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Edited by - peter on 12 Nov 2001 12:18:03 AM

Terri

Keith,

I have one of the Medusas and they are a great pole.

They are rated to no.10 elastics when using Match Top 3 kits and 20 elastics with the Power Top 2's.

I personally have no.12 in the Match and 20 in my Power tops, and they havent let me down.

Terri

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
peter,youre not teaching someone to suck eggs and a review will be posted once i given it a go.youre right about cutting back the top kits to match the cupping kit or vice versa by the way.Because of thte nature of waters i fish i think 3,6,10 12 and 16 should cover most if not all and all set up with a wider bore of bush.

bart4real

When thinking about elastic, try not to make the same mistake that a lot of anglers do when fishing for carp in open water. They tend to put strong elastic through the top kits and try to stop running fish. We have all experimented with elastic over the years and I accept that there may be good reasons for putting a number 20 through the pole but I have yet to do it. Carp will respond to the amount of pressure you give them and by pulling against them, you will be adding sections to stop them. It is better to lift into bites, whether fishing down the edge or at full tilt shallow fishing. That way, carp move off slowly and when they do, it is better to lower the pole so that the elastic retracts. The fish just stay put so it is a case of unshipping slowly without giving the carp any grief. The reason I am telling you this is because if you put anything heavier than a number 14 through a Medusa, you are going to be replacing sections. Don't get me wrong, they are very good poles but the elastic rating is a little enthusiastic to say the least. I have seen about 4 Medusa poles break this season alone and heard of many more.
Be careful what you put through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.