Medium feeder rod for lakes/reservoirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringe

Site Supporter
I am looking for suggestions for a medium feeder rod for targetting skimmers, bream, tench etc. on natural waters usually using medium sized open ended feeders. Typically casting between 30-40 yards with longer chucks of 50 yards on some occasions. I'm using a 12' TFG medium feeder rod at the minute and whilst it looks good, the only part that bends, is the tip - even when catching tench of between 3-5lbs. I'd like a rod with a 'nicer' through action. I've seen lots of recommendations for the Preston mini 10' and the Drennan Puddle Chucker 10' and the Middy Carbon live 10' but wondered if these are designed for fishing at closer quarters as I'm unlikely to do much fishing on commercials. Budget is flexible but was hoping to get a rod which is capable and enjoyable to use for say 120 or so - any recommendation gratefully received - thanks!

CrunchyCaster

Drennan 12 Competition Feeder, perfect for this type of work. Shop around, you can find then around 65/75 ish!
Had mine almost 2 years and i'd not change it, it has a fantastic action, showing tiny bites and also capable of handling big fish. Most of my feeder fishing is for Bream and i couldnt ask for a better rod for the job.[:)]

Luckyphil

I too have the TFG medium feeder, the Grunt range, and you're right, its very stiff right thru to the tip. Just doesn't feel right with anything but large carp. So since then I've got Garbo's 12ft Super G feeder. Great medium range casting rod. Lovely thru action. Gives me much more confidence when fishing for anything other than the large carp, but .... it will still deal with these too. Absolutely love this Garbo rod, hope this helps. Also have Preston 10ft mini carp, in a word ......... fantastic.

petert

TFG do a 8ft medium feeder rod or the 10ft Compact feeder which I use.

dave brittain 1

I use the Shakespeare Superteam 11/12/13 feeder on sale at 104 and it is one of the best and most versatiel feeder rods on the market.

See http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/60121&SearchTerms=superteam,feeder

http://www.tedcarter.co.uk/product.php?pid=shakespeare-superteam-111213ft-feeder-rod-79512

petert

Maver do a 11,12,13ft feeder system and you get 3 butts,2 middle sections, 2 top sections and 6 quiver tips so you can have 2 rods made up at the same time but they are 200

Ringe

Site Supporter
Thanks for the suggestions guys - I've gone for the Garbo 12' super G - reckon I might have to invest in some spare tips though! That said, it looks like a lovely piece of kit - thanks

mattyts

Garbolino rocket picker,used it before its a great rod and very flexible,i now use a dragon carp/avanti activa nero vari tip feeder for 20 quid

Status
Not open for further replies.