Medium deadbait rod?

Fritz

I am looking for a medium deadbait rod, not the heavy pike rods, but more like a rod around 2.25lb with a light, soft action. I need to cast weights around 3-4 oz (lead&bait).
Can it be that there are not many rods for medium deadbaiting on the market?
I do not want the new type of stiffer carp rods, I would prefer something soft actioned so that I do not lose the baitfish while casting.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
How about a pair of Korum barbel rods instead? I think they’re in 1.75 and 2lb test curve.

squimp

Site Supporter
A Harrison Chimera 3 would be perfect for what you want to do.

12ft, 21/4 test curve, medium action that will cast up to 5 oz or so.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not a sort of fishing I know anything about but what you’re describing sounds quite like a bass or estuary rod to me. Tend to be 11-12ft, cast 2-4oz and tend to have quite soft top sections for bite detection and to prevent hook pulls with power lower down for casting. Probably wouldnt want to hook a pike much over 20lb on them but be ok for typical sized pike I’d have thought.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Not a sort of fishing I know anything about but what you’re describing sounds quite like a bass or estuary rod to me. Tend to be 11-12ft, cast 2-4oz and tend to have quite soft top sections for bite detection and to prevent hook pulls with power lower down for casting. Probably wouldnt want to hook a pike much over 20lb on them but be ok for typical sized pike I’d have thought.

I think the idea is a soft through action for deadbaits to avoid casting the bait off.

Fritz

How about a pair of Korum barbel rods instead? I think they’re in 1.75 and 2lb test curve.
Thanks, I thought about the Korum barbel rod, but I have to say that I am a bit weird regarding rods and fishing tackle in general. Because the barbel rods have white tips I would not use them for deadbait fishing. As I said I am a bit weird.
But I think these are good rods. I have some Korum stuff and I am really impressed due to good quality and good prices.

A Harrison Chimera 3 would be perfect for what you want to do.

12ft, 21/4 test curve, medium action that will cast up to 5 oz or so.
These look like really good quality rods, but I have to admit that I have forgotten to mention two things: I only buy full cork handle rods and I can not spent more what would be equivalent to 150€. As I said I am a bit weird fishing tackle buyer. I should have written my initial post more carefully.

squimp

Site Supporter
Thanks, I thought about the Korum barbel rod, but I have to say that I am a bit weird regarding rods and fishing tackle in general. Because the barbel rods have white tips I would not use them for deadbait fishing. As I said I am a bit weird.
But I think these are good rods. I have some Korum stuff and I am really impressed due to good quality and good prices.

These look like really good quality rods, but I have to admit that I have forgotten to mention two things: I only buy full cork handle rods and I can not spent more what would be equivalent to 150€. As I said I am a bit weird fishing tackle buyer. I should have written my initial post more carefully.
Find a used one, most of the barbel anglers have them built with full cork.

Fritz

Maybe I have the chance to buy a Drennan Pike Float rod in 12ft 2 1/4lb. The rod handle has been changed to full cork.

I have read one article in a German anglers magazine which mentioned this rod to be of high quality with a very soft light action for casting deadbaits safely.

What do our fellow members think about this rod? Anyone has experience with it?
(This model has been discontinued for a while.)
What would be a fair price for it?

Fritz

Sadly the Drennan Pike Float rod is already sold and unfortunately not to me!

I am thinking now about Korum Neoteric FS 12ft 2.2lb.
I have them in 1.25lb and 11‘6ft and they are not bad. I would say they are really good for the money, but not superb.

Any alternative suggestions?