meat on hook

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggot dangler

having never fished anything other than maggot i have been told that meat works very well where i am fishing on thursday. my question is do i just rip bits off and hook it on say a size 16 or is there more finesse in it than that?

thanks for your help.

pmdirectuk

Should check more!
try the korum bait screws!! you just screw one into the meat gentley and then simply push your hook through a little hole ot the top and your meat dangles under the hook as if its been hair rigged. awsome!

Dogsbody

When using meat direct on the hook I use a meat punch to cut a pellet shaped piece of meat and carefully rotate the hook through it. Most meats are not very resilient on the hook and although they will cast OK, if you miss a bite it is highly likely you have lost the bait.
You could also try hair riging cubes of meat with a bait screw on the hair.

youngcharles

hi mate i fish alot this time of year up to 4 times a week in matches and practise sessions and the venues i fish respond very well to meat. so fishing meat 3 or 4 times a week you learn a bit about so here goes:

1. ideally you should invest in a meat cutter its qick and easy and all the meat is uniform size so is great for throwing and catapulting as its the same size and weight so all the cubes travel at the same speed. also i would recommend a 6mm cutter as its the most versitile size. you hook double meat, single meat.... etc.

2. going on the assumption that you are fishin it on the pole and for carp i would say fish very "realisticly" by this i mean they will be good stamp fish so gear up accordingly. here is the rig i use for meat fishingin up to 4/5 feet of water:

being lucky and knowing mick wilkinson i get alot of floats from the good man.

float: mick wilkinson hc dinky 0.1 of a gram
mainline: 0.19/0.21
hk length: 0.15/0.17
hook: drennan super spade

i tie alot of rigs being only fifteen and having alot of time so many duplicits of each rig are made (usally around ten of each float) but two of each float is fine

if you cant get hold of any mick wilk floats then i would say a kc carpa chimp as it is a great float.

3: when you get a bit more confident with meat you can start experimenting with colours and flavors. personally i do not flavor my meat but do dye it red using sonu baits bait paint.

4: feeding. i would have two lines, if you imagine your swim as a clock face, then i would have one swim at 10' o clock and another at 2' o clock then feed down the edge by hand.
feed one line heavily, full drennan 250ml pot of hemp and meat and the other with only say 20 cubes of meat and a pinch of hemp. then top up according to bites. feed down the edge by hand to keep the plop,plop,plop sound going in.

i think ive covered most things pm me if any more worries

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I don't fish meat that much so haven't invested in a meat cutter. A knife and a chopping board does the trick. And I have found that fish can be finicky about the size of cube so I do various sizes.

Andy Macfarlane

Grating a tin of luncheon meat provides little shreds to mix in your groundbait and small pieces for tiddler fishing.

cess monkey

I prepare my meat by cutting it into slices about 5mm thick, i put a few aside for punching out hook baits, then i push the rest through a groundbait riddle.
If the meat floats (usualy down to fat comtent) i run it under a hot tap for a minute in a sieve.

10slacky

If you are pole fishing and will be cupping in; combine a tin of meat with 3or4 wheatabix and place in a blender. Whizz it just long enough till the meat is in small pieces; keep checking when whizzing. When feeding I add hemp and micro pellet to the mix. A fairly large cup to start and a small cup every put in. (Deadly). I also find uneven pieces of meat on the hook fare better than uniform pieces.

dave the fish

Site Supporter
One quick little tip if you are cutting your meat using a knife. Put it in the fridge in the tin overnight. It makes it much firmer and easier to cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.